40 MOST GROUNDBREAKING ALBUMS OF ALL TIME-Rolling Stone

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
3 awards for Various Artists?
What about Cyndi Lauper-She's So Unusual or Bob Marley -Natty Dread Just to name a few. For Rap Arrested Development.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Well, ground-breaking is really different from "favorite," or even best. In the Court of the Crimson King, definitely broke ground, but Crimso's best work came later, from Larks Tongues in Aspic through Red. And it's hard to imagine discussing ground-breaking Prog without talking about The Yes Album. The rap and hip hop stuff I just can't relate to, but that doesn't mean the genre, and therefore some of the recordings, were not ground-breaking. I just don't get it. I could have come up with a few Mile's records that I think are better. I even think Kind of Blue may be as ground-breaking, but Bitches Brew is up there, certainly. The compilation albums are just weird choices, and personally, I don't think punk broke any ground, really. It's just another incarnation of the variety of rock n roll rebellion that flips a middle finger at the rest of the music world, discounting commerciality, production values and even musical ability. And it wasn't the first of its kind. Boring crap, most of it, though it certainly had its high marks, and The Ramones are one of those. I'd take The Clash, or early Pretenders over them. I'd take a beating over The Sex Pistols.

These lists are always great conversation pieces, if not great cultural education.

Tim

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing