Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..ha ha...(face palm)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
where did they get the album from the Ramones as a top 40

Actually the Ramone's album is one of the few that actually belong on the list. Their influence far outweighs their limited popularity.

They were some of the most pivotal gigs in music history. It’s that only-200-people-bought-the-first-Velvet -Underground-album-but-they-all-formed-a-band thing. Anyone who was to become anyone in Punk was there: the Clash, the Sex Pistols, Billy Idol, Siouxsie Sioux, the Stranglers, the Damned, Chrissie Hynde, Adam & the Ants’ and Sid Vicious, who if you think about it was basically a mini Dee Dee Ramone. They’d all bought the debut album, most were learning the guitar or the bass by listening to it and pretty much everyone there formed a band or started a fanzine.

London raved about the Ramones, but after three days they were gone. Their success here did nothing for the band’s reputation back home however. When they returned to the USA, they went straight back to playing to 50 people at CBGBs. In fact, as the Pistols gained in notoriety over the next few months, being associated with English punk acts meant commercial death for the Ramones. No radio station would touch them and no one bought their albums. Their debut album finally went gold for 500,000 sold – in April 2014.
http://rocknrollroutemaster.com/2014/09/11/hey-ho-lets-go-the-ramones-in-london/

Last edited:

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Actually the Ramone's album is one of the few that actually belong on the list. Their influence far outweighs their limited popularity.

I posed that question as my son is working on a documentary for the big screen called Dennis and Lois which chronicles the lives of this elderly couple who have followed the Ramones as well as other groups at their concerts around the world

http://www.npr.org/programs/theride/jlangford/004.html

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

+1.

Now, I'm not a fan of The Ramones, nor the Sex Pistols, but Never Mind The Bullocks should definitely have been on that list.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Its hard to say whether they are good choices or not. Their choices are all over the music genre map, which means for me I haven't listened to most. Nor do I care to listen to many of them.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
the Ramones saved everybody from progressive rock, so groundbreaking indeed :p I think In Rainbows is a cop out.

biggest miss is Buddy Holly- is there anyone more groundbreaking or influential in the history of rock n roll?

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
the Ramones saved everybody from progressive rock, so groundbreaking indeed ;) I think In Rainbows is a cop out.

biggest miss is Buddy Holly- is there anyone more groundbreaking or influential in the history of rock n roll?

What wrong with Progressive rock?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I refuse, on musical grounds, to applaud or honor rap.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
What wrong with Progressive rock?

Absolutely nothing.
"In The Court Of The Crimson King" is in there, although I feel "Red" is the the most appropriate prog rock album to have on this list - the true bridge between the prog/metal/fusion of the 70s, and the modern day.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I refuse, on musical grounds, to applaud or honor rap.

Ron, be ready to flame me, but i LOVE rap - heading down the freeway listening to NWA is some experience. Rap is a totally underappreciated art form by the cogniscenti.
For me, modern R&B is my red line. Autotuned vocals warbling away to backing "music" that is neither rhythmic, nor anything to do w/the blues - has anything ever been so mislabelled?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Or even acknowledge would say it for me

Me, too. Is Rap even music?

Anyway, I own seven of the forty. Are they groundbreaking? Some of them are...maybe. Define groundbreaking.

zztop7

Member Sponsor
Dec 12, 2012
Edmonds, WA
1 in a thousand

Alternative, Blues, Classical, Country, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rap, ETC.
In each genre, I look for the 1 in a thousand cuts that is great = listening bliss.
zztop7

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing