Amir's RMAF Day 3 teaser

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Today was a slower day. Far fewer people around. But just when I was appreciating everyone listening to me and getting showers, this dude comes sits to me and he smelled like he had devoured a whole field worth of Garlic. The news on the radio said there was a sharp departure of Vampires in the states. And one audiophile from one audio room...

1. Best sound of the day was shared between Joseph Audio and Magico. The latter was not in their booth as they were not at the show. But rather, in another suite.

2. I failed in my promise to John to find low cost systems. Every low cost, tiny bookshelf speaker had my jaw on the floor after I heard how many thousands of dollars they wanted for them! I swear some were barely larger than a computer speaker. The closest fit remains the KEF LS50.

3. Someone heard me whining about too bright sounds and the reverse happened. In the above KEF room, they were using some tube amp and playing Dire Straits from LP. The thing could not sound more dull and boring. So I asked the demo guy if this was due to the turntable or the tube amp. He said he was not sure but that he was actually the Parasound rep and someone had just brought over the tubes. He happily swapped them and the highs returned and importantly the bass became a lot tighter. Will post the picture of the tube amp later and you all can tell me what brand it is.

4. Thanks to the help from members I found the room with Reel to Reel. Amazing, amazing experience. It was a technics 1500 with stock pre-amp, playing a tape from 1960 with incredible authority and resolution. You had to wipe the grin off my face. It was that good. But then the grin got wiped out when I asked where he had bought it and answer was, "someone loaned it to him." We all know what that means :).

5. Ran into a bunch more people who I knew in real life or from forum. Was such a pleasure to have people call me by name or the forum.

6. Speaking of the forum, we have arrived folks. Not only had people heard of the forum but they would follow with, "oh that is where smart people hang out." Of course they were talking about me and not you losers. :D Other accolades were "you guys run such a clean forum with no trolls." Or "these guys there are Gods of audiophiles with amazing systems." It was a pleasure to represent all of us there in that manner.

7. Picture of the day belongs to Volti. They had a white board and asked people to write some loving words there:

Check out the Brit who is responsible for that line: "The Dog's Bollocks!" Couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes. :D Was tempted to write in there "Amir was here" but thought that would be in bad form. :D :D

8. Had some great Angus Buffalo burger from a truck outside. Outstanding.

9. Going to sleep guys. Be good!

Blizzard

Banned
Sep 30, 2015
Today was a slower day. Far fewer people around. But just when I was appreciating everyone listening to me and getting showers, this dude comes sits to me and he smelled like he had devoured a whole field worth of Garlic. The news on the radio said there was a sharp departure of Vampires in the states. And one audiophile from one audio room...

1. Best sound of the day was shared between Joseph Audio and Magico. The latter was not in their booth as they were not at the show. But rather, in another suite.

2. I failed in my promise to John to find low cost systems. Every low cost, tiny bookshelf speaker had my jaw on the floor after I heard how many thousands of dollars they wanted for them! I swear some were barely larger than a computer speaker. The closest fit remains the KEF LS50.

3. Someone heard me whining about too bright sounds and the reverse happened. In the above KEF room, they were using some tube amp and playing Dire Straits from LP. The thing could not sound more dull and boring. So I asked the demo guy if this was due to the turntable or the tube amp. He said he was not sure but that he was actually the Parasound rep and someone had just brought over the tubes. He happily swapped them and the highs returned and importantly the bass became a lot tighter. Will post the picture of the tube amp later and you all can tell me what brand it is.

4. Thanks to the help from members I found the room with Reel to Reel. Amazing, amazing experience. It was a technics 1500 with stock pre-amp, playing a tape from 1960 with incredible authority and resolution. You had to wipe the grin off my face. It was that good. But then the grin got wiped out when I asked where he had bought it and answer was, "someone loaned it to him." We all know what that means :).

5. Ran into a bunch more people who I knew in real life or from forum. Was such a pleasure to have people call me by name or the forum.

6. Speaking of the forum, we have arrived folks. Not only had people heard of the forum but they would follow with, "oh that is where smart people hang out." Of course they were talking about me and not you losers. :D Other accolades were "you guys run such a clean forum with no trolls." Or "these guys there are Gods of audiophiles with amazing systems." It was a pleasure to represent all of us there in that manner.

7. Picture of the day belongs to Volti. They had a white board and asked people to write some loving words there:

Check out the Brit who is responsible for that line: "The Dog's Bollocks!" Couldn't stop laughing for 10 minutes. :D Was tempted to write in there "Amir was here" but thought that would be in bad form. :D :D

8. Had some great Angus Buffalo burger from a truck outside. Outstanding.

9. Going to sleep guys. Be good!

Did you ever make it to the Resonessence room? I want to hear if they made the right choice on speaker selection.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks for the reports Amir, the witty humor and sarcasm, and congratulations on making WBF a success... Keep in mind lots of industry professionals follow this site very closely.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The (Andrew Jones)Elac bookshelves for $229 each? The Riva Turbo?
iFi Retro series. PSA Sprout?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Yes, the smaller bookshelves were $229 although for that small difference, I would get the towers.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing