microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I don't see what people see in the Atma-Sphere amps. To me they sound lean, lean, and lean. They are not my cup of tea.

Probably because of poor matching between the particular Atmasphere model and speaker. The MA2 did not sound lean at all ....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, the MV-60 was a sweetheart. I too had a long run - over twenty years - with their preamps. PV-5 to PV-8 to Premier 16LS to the ACT2. My favorite was the Premier 16 - the baby ART. Premier 12 monoblocks and Premier 140 amps. Still have the PV-8 and it still sounds great though I don't use it regularly.

Sadly, I haven't heard CJ's most recent gear. It wouldn't surprise me if their newer amps are greatly improved from what I knew though their basic architecture seems not that different, with gains coming from different tubes and better parts. In general the hallmark of an OTL amp (I'm more familiar with Atma-Sphere than Berning) is transparency, clarity and speed. I found OTL tonality rich with harmonics, more toward neutral, which in my lexicon means less obviously colored but by no means lean or analytic. FWIW, years back I reviewed the little Atma-Sphere amps with the CJ Premier 140 in brief comparison. You have a very nice system!

Same here: my premier11a is unforgettable.

What a great review...i have read that one a number of times over the years!!! I did not make the connection, Tim! Great review, and i always enjoy (particularly enjoy) when reviewers make those kinds of comparisons.

And yes, i have heard great things about the legendary Premier 11a as well. I believe the MV60 was technically a replacement for the MV50...but CJ's materials suggested it really was a replacement of the Premier 11a as well.

I very nearly decided to bi-amp using the MV60s which i was told would make even more magic...

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI
Nope heard them in many different systems and they sound lean. If you need a speaker that is dark to make an amp work, that does not cut the mustard in my book.

Worldcat

May 30, 2012
I own the Quadrature's for 3 1/2 years now, i really like them. The only think i don't like it take about 3 hours for them to sound there best.

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have had the Quadrature's for 3 1/2 years i really like them. The only think i don't like it take about 3 hours for them to sound there best.

Most interesting...what amps did you move to...and why?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
BASS and CES

I am still stunned about the Quadrature Z amps. These are way the best amplification I encountered in my system.
And Caesar asks in another thread about Bass: I have never cherished Bass even though I have a fabulous Stella Novus Bass regulation system - Now I understand Bass as I never before.
It makes me wonder about the current activities of David Berning - Amir, are you still taking orders? Go and look out for Berning, or even the cheap licensed linear audio devices, that use Bernings ZOTL technique.

Thanks, Egidius

I am a long term user of David Berning amplification.
Having owned the ZH270 since the late nineties, I added the ZH230 and Zotl Pre into my system, using the venerable Micro Zotl with my Jecklin Float E'static Headphones.
Not trying to boast, but giving background, also explaining that I might be biased in favour of David Berning products or their sound aesthetics.
I am a violinist by profession, and a recording producer since a few years ago, so listening both for fun as for profession as well.

I have recently stumbled upon the Quadrature Z's, bought them (thank you Wilfred!) and have now used them the last two days extensively: They are really all their fame is about. Considering that I usually get along fine with 30Watts - or, rather my speakers do - I was amazed at the finesse the Q'z added to the sound. Especially the end of sounds were so clarifying, I did not know that about recorded sounds before.

Obviously two days is nothing, so I will pipe up in about a month again, but for now: Hats off to David Berning !!

My question: Who has heard these monoblocs? What's your experience with them?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing