Interested In Who Would Like To See A Trading Post As A Dedicated Forum

Are you in favor of the creation of a dedicated forum as a trading post

• Total voters

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Devert (as well as many others over the past few months) has suggested we consider a Dedicated forum for trading and/or selling used gear. There would obviously be some parameters as we have many dealers and manufacturers who are members here as well.

MiTT had a great idea as to who can post in this forum as a way of deterring spammers at the site. He suggested moderating each post as well as perhaps limiting who can post to those who already have posted on the site. This could reduce the exposure of spammers at such a dedicated forum.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I like and would fully support this type of dedicated forum. Since MiTT brought this to the forefront, I would certainly welcome him as being assigned the Moderator, because it should definitely be moderated closely.

Do we set rules as to what are acceptable methods of payment? Should pricing be indicated? Should shipping be trackable?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
If it doesn't work out then we could modify or drop the forum at any time. I would favor a moderate number of minimum posts and / or minimum membership time as a requirement to sell. But if the board heavily regulates sales terms and conditions then there will be a lot of work for someone. Develop a few ground rules but try to let people work things out for themselves.

Steve Williams

If it doesn't work out then we could modify or drop the forum at any time. I would favor a moderate number of minimum posts and / or minimum membership time as a requirement to sell. But if the board heavily regulates sales terms and conditions then there will be a lot of work for someone. Develop a few ground rules but try to let people work things out for themselves.

Hi Jay

You were one of those lawyers who previously gave some suggestions as to how to set this up. Any other legal advice would be greatly appreciated

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'd rather see it in one place than have sales pitches scattered all over the place. Who knows, maybe some of our resident manufacturers might end up offering us prototypes, really good B-stocks or show units. I sure wouldn't mind THAT!

I'd like to leave the site owners free of any hassles especially legal ones, so at this point I think it best to let the actual transactions be done outside of the site or at least via private messaging.

Steve Williams

I agree completely Jack I believe that once we set the guidelines as to who is allowed to post ads based on a minimum number of previous posts and/or length of membership then posting the ad with a photo should be very easy. All transactions would be between seeker and buyer but I would like to get some input from Jay and our other lawyers as to what if any liability the site would have for any misrepresentation of goods and or fraudulent transactions. Paypal can certainly be an option of use

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
This makes me a bit uncomfortable. My ideas and suggestions to date have been practical brainstorming, not legal advice. Others will have to help on the liability issue as I am not an expert in that area.

DWR

Jul 26, 2010
Western burbs of Detroit
Yes I like the idea and voted so. It is a good thing to see the intelligent thought put into the matter before anything is finalized and started up, just another reason I really like this forum. The point I saw made that really makes sense about doing this is, if it doesn't work out or does not go the way it is intended to, then it can just be ended.

Steve Williams

I would definitely think that it would be a plus to the community. But, you would have to decide if the forum would collect a percentage and charge for the listings as is the case for Audiogon.

Rich

Rich

you have hit on the very reason I have been dragging my feet. How to monetize the site might be way premature with the number of members we have but as I said this particular forum might encourage growth of the community.

Having said that we have been considering all options.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
It's a nice idea to have another venue to liquidate or trade your equipment:cool:. Ebay is not IMHO a good outlet for hi-end gear. A'gon is good but it never hurts to have competition;)
The legal issues are probably complex and costly... per usual:(

MC352

Aug 27, 2010
CT
I think a trading post forum is a good idea.

I don't think charging to post items is a good idea. I don't think you want to turn this into Audiogon II, you just want to offer members a place to swap gear.

Just my 2 cents.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think a trading post forum is a good idea.

I don't think charging to post items is a good idea. I don't think you want to turn this into Audiogon II, you just want to offer members a place to swap gear.

Just my 2 cents.

I agree Chuck! The posting of trades, buys and sells between members should be free.

John

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I voted "yes". I don't think we should charge for listings. However, I do believe a minimum post count, signifying that a member has an active interest in our community, should be a requirement to submit a listing. This method eliminates those who would merely join to sell gear. I'd suggest 20-25 posts in the last 12 months be a ballpark figure for participation. The admins have the statistics to determine if this would allow enough members (considering current membership count) to post.

Lee

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Someone voted NO.....can that person come forward and explain why?

John

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

This particular Poll has all of the voting individuals. Place the cursor on either total for the poll. When you see the hand click on it and all of the names who voted will be visible.

Rich

Thanks Rich! I never knew that (obviously)!

John

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing