Noisy drive with Playback MPS-5

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I thought I would pick the brains of fellow MPS-5 owners. My player has developed an issue where every disc eject is accompanied by a noisy whirring sound. During disc operation (e.g. skipping from one track to another), it is as silent as it has always been. I suspect the eject motor has a worn gear.

If this was any other piece of equipment, I would have hit it up with some WD-40!

I did some googling on the Teac VOSP drive that the MPS-5 supposedly uses and came up with nothing. My experience with computer optical drives suggests to me that drive failure will be imminent if I don't do something about it. Does anybody here have experience with noisy drives? Should I get someone to lube it, or attempt to lube it myself? Or should I ask my dealer to order a replacement drive from Playback Designs?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
I had exactly the same problem with my DCS Puccini a couple of years.
Had to get a replacement tray mechanism from DCS.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Mine started misreading discs and was a little noisy. I bought a replacement from Andreas and he helped me through how to take the bad drive out and replace with the new. Works perfectly and silent now.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
important to not leave the unit on in 'disc' mode on a regular basis. this powers the drive and they don't last forever. if you do get a new drive make sure to take this approach.

you likely need another drive.

I always switch my MPS-5 to 'aux' input when I'm not playing a disc or leaving the unit powered when I'm gone. the dac itself will basically last forever powered up.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Thanks for your replies, all. I have heard back from Andreas Koch:

The gear noise is due to a cracked gear. Instead of replacing the entire drive I had some gears manufactured.

He is going to send a replacement gear to the local dealer, who will arrange to have the gear replaced.

There is nothing wrong with the drive itself, it is basically silent. No problem reading discs, no problem jumping track to track. It is only the eject mechanism that is faulty. So I think Andreas is right.

Thank you very much for that tip, Mike. I was under the impression that the MPS-5's disc drive IS NOT spinning when left on standby and in "disc" mode - I certainly can't hear it spinning. But you are right, that is a good precaution to take. I normally just switch the display off when I am not using the player. I will put it in DAC mode as well now.

Just another question for other MPS-5 owners - you will notice a loud "CLUNK" just before the tray opens, and again after it shuts. Do your players do that too?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Thank you very much for that tip, Mike. I was under the impression that the MPS-5's disc drive IS NOT spinning when left on standby and in "disc" mode - I certainly can't hear it spinning. But you are right, that is a good precaution to take. I normally just switch the display off when I am not using the player. I will put it in DAC mode
He did not say spinning just that the drive had power. Course he may have meant spinning. Just Keep that in mind.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
He did not say spinning just that the drive had power. Course he may have meant spinning. Just Keep that in mind.

no; the issue is not spinning, it is the additional heat to the mechanicals if it's always powered on by being in disc mode. any/every drive mechanism has this issue to some degree. normally the lifespan of a high end CD/SACD player is not forever.......but the MPS-5 has been a gamer for many years. and those Esoteric drives do not like being powered on 24/7 for years and years.

it' a very simple step with the remote and just a good habit to have.

david.m

Jan 15, 2014
Sydney, Australia
Thanks for your replies, all. I have heard back from Andreas Koch:

He is going to send a replacement gear to the local dealer, who will arrange to have the gear replaced.

There is nothing wrong with the drive itself, it is basically silent. No problem reading discs, no problem jumping track to track. It is only the eject mechanism that is faulty. So I think Andreas is right.

Thank you very much for that tip, Mike. I was under the impression that the MPS-5's disc drive IS NOT spinning when left on standby and in "disc" mode - I certainly can't hear it spinning. But you are right, that is a good precaution to take. I normally just switch the display off when I am not using the player. I will put it in DAC mode as well now.

Just another question for other MPS-5 owners - you will notice a loud "CLUNK" just before the tray opens, and again after it shuts. Do your players do that too?

Hi Keith, I can't seem to play your video, it wants me to sign in? I think the clunk is the disc clamp mechanism, I too have that sound though it is a little louder when I close the drawer (when the clamp would be securing the disc). I had a new transport fitted recently (the original started having problems with some SACDs), both it and the original have the clunk sound.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Hi Keith, I can't seem to play your video, it wants me to sign in? I think the clunk is the disc clamp mechanism, I too have that sound though it is a little louder when I close the drawer (when the clamp would be securing the disc). I had a new transport fitted recently (the original started having problems with some SACDs), both it and the original have the clunk sound.

Silly me, I left the video on "private"! I have just made it public. You should be able to play the video now. My apologies.

Reassuring to know that the clunk sound is a feature of the player.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing