Webcam for laptop not working!

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My laptop comes with an integrated webcam, but today I received a Skype video call from my brother and my webcam was not working.
Something to do with other program using it?

I spent too much time trying to reestablish its normal operation, but the camera remained disabled.

Help! :p

_________

This is the first time ever happening...last time I used it...about two weeks ago the webcam was working just fine.
I just have no clue why she stopped working out of the sudden.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I assume you are using a Windows laptop? If it's a Mac, take it to the Smartypants Bar or whatever it's called. If it's a Windows laptop:

1. Open Device Manager (right click on "My Computer", go to "Properties", then "Device Manager"). Check if your camera is working. If it isn't, you'll see a yellow exclamation mark next to it. If you see such an exclamation mark, this means that the computer sees the camera, but is unable to use it. If you let us know the model of laptop and your version of Windows, it may be possible to direct you to download a new driver.

2. If the camera does not appear at all in Device Manager, this means that your computer doesn't even know it's there. In this case, go to your BIOS settings and make sure that the camera is turned on in BIOS.

3. If Device Manager reports that the camera is working fine, then you have an issue with Skype. You need to dig through the menus to make someone hasn't inadvertently directed Skype to turn off the camera.

4. If, after the above steps, it still doesn't work ... time to get your computer serviced. Most SENSIBLE computer makers* make the camera easily replaceable. (* non-sensible computer makers are those who make fashion laptops like a certain fruit company, where the camera cable is glued to the screen ... in which case, replacing the camera means replacing the screen, the lid, and everything associated with it because it's all glued together).

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Hi Keith,

First, I'm real glad to read few good words from you...you were away for a while and I was missing your presence, and cuisine. :b

* I spent few hours last evening on Skype forum looking for a solution. My laptop is a Sony VAIO (Microsoft Windows 8.1) with integrated webcam.
I have read everything that you just mentioned above...and much much more...and to no available solution for me.

After few hours of searching I decided to try something very simple on my own (no one suggested it and no one mentioned it anywhere from all the places I checked looking for my solution...not the Skype community, not Microsoft, no one).
? I simply pushed the power button of my laptop's top right corner to turn it Off. ...Instead of usually closing the top cover.
Then I pushed it again to turn it back On; the webcam was now operative, like it used to be, solution found, issue resolved, couldn't be more simple than that.

I tried several alternatives before that...from what you just posted above...and more.

<<>> So now, next time someone has an issue like that, or other type of issues with his laptop, computer, iMac, iPhone, android...I know what to suggest first.

Thank you Keith for the time you took, and thank you for being you and strong and helpful, and my very best for the happiest return...one day @ a time.
It is a lovely planet we all live on, and with many lovely people with great heart and mind. We as humans, Earth people, are the most important living intelligent animal species to take care of, more than anything else in this world. We all know that...but we forgot sometimes...because we are vulnerable, sensitive and not strong enough in times where we are more exposed to our own weaknesses. ...Something like that...where it has to do with acceptance of the diversification of the human race, its decline into the material world of power and money...the superficial way of living. We all are our own slaves of the world we and the ones before us created...and we are perpetuating the same for our next generations to come...via the internet and in real life. ...This is only my today's vision...that I simply shared.

** Webcam is now working...so if anyone want to Skype me...they can. :b

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
Hi Keith,

First, I'm real glad to read few good words from you...you were away for a while and I was missing your presence, and cuisine. :b

* I spent few hours last evening on Skype forum looking for a solution. My laptop is a Sony VAIO (Microsoft Windows 8.1) with integrated webcam.
I have read everything that you just mentioned above...and much much more...and to no available solution for me.

After few hours of searching I decided to try something very simple on my own (no one suggested it and no one mentioned it anywhere from all the places I checked looking for my solution...not the Skype community, not Microsoft, no one).
? I simply pushed the power button of my laptop's top right corner to turn it Off. ...Instead of usually closing the top cover.
Then I pushed it again to turn it back On; the webcam was now operative, like it used to be, solution found, issue resolved, couldn't be more simple than that.

I tried several alternatives before that...from what you just posted above...and more.

<<>> So now, next time someone has an issue like that, or other type of issues with his laptop, computer, iMac, iPhone, android...I know what to suggest first.

Thank you Keith for the time you took, and thank you for being you and strong and helpful, and my very best for the happiest return...one day @ a time.
It is a lovely planet we all live on, and with many lovely people with great heart and mind. We as humans, Earth people, are the most important living intelligent animal species to take care of, more than anything else in this world. We all know that...but we forgot sometimes...because we are vulnerable, sensitive and not strong enough in times where we are more exposed to our own weaknesses. ...Something like that...where it has to do with acceptance of the diversification of the human race, its decline into the material world of power and money...the superficial way of living. We all are our own slaves of the world we and the ones before us created...and we are perpetuating the same for our next generations to come...via the internet and in real life. ...This is only my today's vision...that I simply shared.

** Webcam is now working...so if anyone want to Skype me...they can. :b

Glad that fixed it, but don't be shocked if it happens again. The message you got sounds like a program conflict and/or another program (other than Skype) is using your camera even if it is not visibly open. A hard shutdown killed all apps and the OS "fixing" the problem, but that app will likely do the same thing again in the future.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Glad that fixed it, but don't be shocked if it happens again. The message you got sounds like a program conflict and/or another program (other than Skype) is using your camera even if it is not visibly open. A hard shutdown killed all apps and the OS "fixing" the problem, but that app will likely do the same thing again in the future.

Almost every month, every week, every day there is something new. It's just the same with real life...and the best way to deal with issues is just to forget most of them because they don't contribute to real human values. Or deal as they come without letting them affecting us.
We all use our computers differently, we all have different tasks we like to perform...and this world of ours that we created is just that...an imperfect human creation.
Thanks to our father's fathers and everyone else between...including Steve Jobs (RIP) and Bill Gates. ...Plus all the programmers, hackers, and all that jazz. ...Everything's for sale.

Everyday I have to reboot my browser, and I don't even bother wasting my time in finding the reason(s) why...life's just too short and precious.

We learn as we go, and the magic is in going...then the ultimate destination...exhausted batteries. ...We, as humans who create machines for our work, for our entertainment, are continuously facing the challenges of those same creations that enslaved us.

Searching for the answers of all our dilemmas and technical issues is a challenge in itself...sometimes so simple other times we just declare abandon.
But all together we can work it out for a better world everywhere on our planet, for all our children's children and their children's children.
The technological world of computers is nothing compared to the real challenges our human race is facing in the real world.

Yes, a simple reboot (power on/off) can restore many PC issues. It's not the first time that I resolved some issues like that...with my laptop, PC, android, audio/video electronics. ...And even with myself in real life. :b

Thank you for your support...it inspired me @ embracing life with more fervor towards the things that count most...deliverance from superficiality. ;-)

We are all explorers, some of us total adventurers...I fit this, so I know the risk. :b
And other folks, like in my own family, they wouldn't dare to click this key or that one or to even download a new app like Skype.
Dad (RIP) never touched a computer of his entire life. Mom, don't try to teach her new things with her laptop she'll freak out and feel totally disoriented just by hearing a new word like Skype. You probably know what I mean...

My first ever PC didn't last more than two weeks...blue screen of death. We learn much more severely on our own than by being told by others.
Our best teachers are the ones who encourage us in exploring on our own.

Sorry for all that philosophical stuff...it's what I gain of it all @ the end...I just can't stop living while my beating heart. - Sting
Laptop seems to be working ok, today. :b

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing