Sicario

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

We saw this film yesterday after getting some reasonably good reviews from critics around the country

From MRQE.com

Cast: Emily Blunt, Benicio Del Toro, Josh Brolin, Jon Bernthal, Daniel Kaluuya, Jeffrey Donovan, Raoul Trujillo
Director: Denis Villeneuve
Rating: R
Running Time: 121 min.
Synopsis:
An idealistic FBI agent (Emily Blunt) is assigned to work a dangerous stretch of the US-Mexico border by her superior officer (Josh Brolin). She's exposed to the brutality of the Mexican drug cartel, and becomes partners with a defector from the cartel (Benicio Del Toro) who possesses keen knowledge about the organization. As she gets deeper into the ruthlessness and corruption surrounding the FBI sting to find the organizations leaders, her moral and professional boundaries are pushed to their breaking point. Denis Villeneuve directs this pulse-pounding crime drama, which competed for the Palme d'Or at the 2015 Cannes Film Festival.

I must admit that I really enjoyed this film. Very good but not great. Enough however to have me glued to the seat from start to finish.fast action from start to finish. Not sure its for the ladies as my wife didn't like it at all

Benicio Del Toro is terrific in his role in a movie with a very startling ending

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thx Steve for the input...Denis Villeneuve is in by book of film directors...so Sicario is on my Blu-ray radar, definitely.

* The director's style, from what I've seen from him, is unique in the sense of building the action meticulously with the emotion element realistically and very present. He brings a new solid touch to cinema...he's an important movie director...to be seriously followed and be familiar with. ...And this latest of his is a good subject of reality in the world of drugs, money, power, corruption, and degradation/destitution. ...A violent fight where innocents die. I won't miss it, one way or another...so thx again for this.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
.**1/2 Boston Globe

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
thanks, Steve. this and the Martian are next up for us.

saw Everest this past weekend- good movie with a great cast. Into Thin Air is one of my favorite books, although this movie was done independently of Krakauer. I'd give it a B+.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I walked out of Sicaro half way. Everest was alright, not great. Watch if you have time, else skip. I too had actually studied Into Thin Air as a case study in behavioral economics at Chicago

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Thinking back to date this has been a weak year for movies. Sicario is probably the best I have seen so far. Benicio Del Toro was great.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I agree about Benicio and really liked the movie and yes it has been a weak year for good movies. The ending of Sicario was startling

I must admit that so far my favorites have been

1. Love and Mercy
2. Straight Outta Compton
3. The woman in Gold
4. Ex Machina

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I agree about Benicio and really liked the movie and yes it has been a weak year for good movies. The ending of Sicario was startling

I must admit that so far my favorites have been

1. Love and Mercy
2. Straight Outta Compton
3. The woman in Gold
4. Ex Machina

Besides Sicario the only movies I would add to your list would be:
1- Still Alice (this wasn't released here until early in 2015)
2- The Connection (the French Film set in mid-70's about the Marseille drug trade)

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I saw Still Alice last year. I agree and she won the Oscar for her role so it has to be a 2014 film

Yes it was one of those "Limited Release" films that is shown in LA and NY so it gets in by the Oscar deadline.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
Finally saw Sicario - really good movie. Very compelling directing achieved with the night goggles/tunnel scene. I did find the overall story kinda fake though, so agree with Steve's take.

Del Toro and Blount were excellent.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Finally saw Sicario - really good movie. Very compelling directing achieved with the night goggles/tunnel scene. I did find the overall story kinda fake though, so agree with Steve's take.

Del Toro and Blount were excellent.

Saw it A while ago, excellent movie

There are some excellent movies on Netflix ... One to watch is SUBURRA. It requires its very own thread, it is that good.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing