Linn event at Goodwin's: digital room optimization

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Yesterday I went to a fascinating event hosted by Goodwin's High End. Linn, of turntable fame, presented their new forays in the digital domain, called Space optimization, a software implemented on their network players (networked server + D/A converter).

Gilad Tiefenbrun, son of audio legend Ivor Tiefenbrun, gave a spirited presentation, supplemented by some remarks from his technical developer. They first demonstrated their three network players, Majik, Akurate and Klimax, and then went to the room optimization part.

While the chain was of high quality, with the transducers being Magico Q7 Mk II speakers (the related Magico M Project speakers are the best sound I have heard), the sound of the demo was not the greatest, at least from where I sat, off-center; but this is often a problem with demos. This made the first part with a comparison of the three network players less interesting to me, since I barely could hear any difference. Others in the audience enthusiastically reported great differences, but I wonder how reproducible these findings would have been under blind conditions. Anyway, at that stage the speakers had been in a sub-optimal position, for reasons that would become apparent later. Tracks in that part of the demo were from Linn's own recording of Mozart's Requiem, and London Calling by The Clash.

Yet then it became really interesting, with the Linn Klimax as the source. We switched to a jazz track with female voice. The bass was boomy and the voice just o.k. Subsequently, they moved the speakers to their optimal position, further away from the side walls and more forward. The bass became tight (the bass coming out of those large Magico speakers, and of course from the Linn Klimax source, is impressive) and, importantly, the voice became much more expressive and nuanced. All in all, the improvement was very significant. While the bloated bass prior to the re-positioning of the speakers had been just an annoyance, the real emotional reward with the optimal speaker position was in the enhanced expression of the voice. Then came the core part of the demonstration. They moved the speakers back again to their sub-optimal position, but now activated the room optimization software. The result was stunning: it almost sounded as good as the speakers in the optimal position! They repeated the demo on another track, this time with male voice. After the room optimization software was activated, the voice sounded so much better. The idea was that under constrained conditions, where the speakers cannot be in their optimal position in the room, the sound can be greatly improved with digital correction.

The fascinating part of all this is that the room optimization software only affects the lower frequencies. As their technical developer told me afterwards, their basic optimization goes only up to 80 Hz, and they fine-tune it on top of that with correction up to no more than 200 Hz. Yet the human voices, which are quite a bit above these frequency ranges, also sounded so much better with correction. The technical developer told me afterwards that they were surprised themselves, but he explained it such that with room nodes there is delay of musical energy in the low frequencies that affects subsequent events that are of lesser energy, like those of the midrange. Interestingly, the recording with the male voice did not even feature that much bass, but with optimization the voice still sounded much clearer, more natural and more expressive.

The room optimization software only uses correction from calculation of room nodes, based on simple physics and input of room dimensions and speaker position. Thus, it only takes into account the room itself. Both Gilad Tiefenbrun and the technical developer were adamant that microphone measurements are not the optimal way to approach the room problem. In those measurements, the frequency responses of both the microphone and the speakers enter the equation, muddling and complicating things.

All in all, I found the demo most remarkable and educational. I thought that the concept of just correcting the room itself by simple calculations, without frequency measurements, was highly interesting, and the audible result was simply stunning. Moreover, they said that due to schedule issues they had only time to correct the room with software set-up for half an hour; with more set-up time the results could have been even better.

Certainly, in my optimized room there may be less need for such correction, and I don't have the bass issues that I heard at Goodwin's with the sub-optimal speaker position. Yet there seems little doubt to me that even my system/room could benefit from such room optimization software. The catch of course is that it is only available in Linn's network players. Yet I am starting to consider that I might audition their top network player, the Klimax, next to other options to upgrade my digital source in the future. I am confident that under more optimal circumstances the differences between their three network players would also become more apparent.

I wish the Linn Crew would have concentrated on the Space Optimization software only. Trying to demonstrate more or less subtle differences between network players of different price ranges at conditions of sub-optimal speaker placement and, necessarily, sub-optimal seating positions (only one person of the entire audience can sit in the sweetspot) is perhaps an overly optimistic undertaking. Prospective buyers would shop in their preferred price range anyway; nobody would bother comparing a $ 5 K player (the Majik) with one costing four times as much (the Klimax), even though they both may be excellent in their respective price class. They could simply have said that the Space Optimization software is available on all their players, and leave it at that. Dedicating all the time to the room optimization program would have allowed to make more comparisons, and also to demonstrate what difference it would have made at the optimal speaker positioning, something I would now be dying to hear, after having mentally digested the event some more. The demo of the Space Optimization software was without a doubt an unmitigated success. It definitely got me interested.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Great report. Thank you. Is my impression right that they don't use a mic for their room EQ but use some other data? What was that? Room dimensions and speaker/listener location?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Great report. Thank you. Is my impression right that they don't use a mic for their room EQ but use some other data? What was that? Room dimensions and speaker/listener location?

My pleasure, Amir, and thanks for your kind words. Yes, definitely room dimensions and speaker location, the source of the sound waves. About listener location I am not sure.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know how they would do that for non-rectangular rooms. And even there, compliance of the walls can shift the actual location of the modes relative to what the dimensions say. If they are at RMAF, I will have a chat with them.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
Thanks for the info. I'm wondering if this is how certain amps and preamps give us more transparency in the mid and upper frequencies- by specifically reproducing the bass at a lower output. The reason I ask is my recent experience with Constellation Inspiriation series driving my Magico S5s. Driving them with Spectral 15pre and 260 amp, the bass is far more pronounced, but voices are less intelligible and sound more veiled though very musical. With the Constellation equipment, bass is there- I looked at output via Audiotools- BUT approximately 6-8 dB less than the Spectral setup. The voices are far more intelligible, and transparency and perceived distortion are far less. One of those conundrums- want the bass and basic musical nature of the Spectral and the transparency and upper range extension of the Constellation. Could it be that by reproducing bass at a lower output, the room nodes excited by less bass allow more PERCEIVED midrange and upper frequency transparency, giving certain preamps and amps a more transparent signature? I'm ignorant on this issue- just throwing the question out to those in the know.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Definitely. If you reduce the overall bass level, the ringing also reduces resulting in better clarity of higher frequencies. Think of how much a spring bounces up and down if you push it less.

scouter

Member Sponsor
Oct 30, 2012
Wrightsville Beach, NC
So does this set us up for a decision we must make in our audio quest- transparency with reduced bass reproduction or more full range system giving up transparency? And I must add, looking at a FFT the reproduction is more even than with the real time analyzer. Again, I'm not knowledgeable enough to make statements regarding these things- just looking at my graphs and correlating the to what I hear.

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Fortunately no. You can reduce the resonances in the specific rather than pulling the entire bass down. I wrote a long post on this: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...Measurements-Understanding-Time-and-Frequency

The chart shows how long a bass frequency remains in the room after a momentary excitation. As you see in Green, everywhere its level is higher, so is the amount of time it takes for it to dissipate. By pulling down those peaks, we reduce those offenders. In the above example, I have pulled down a single frequency (53) and it shows how much the time domain ringing (in brown) has been reduced (in green now).

The above is active correction with EQ. Passive correction is possible with optimization of loudspeakers and seating position as Al talked about in his original post. Multiple subwoofers is another way. Expertly designed acoustic products is another. Ideal system would use all of these assuming space, cost and time is no object :).

For analog-only systems EQ is out usually so you should opt for the other two. For digital playback, the EQ can be part of the music player and hence easily deployed.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) The room optimization software only uses correction from calculation of room nodes, based on simple physics and input of room dimensions and speaker position. Thus, it only takes into account the room itself. Both Gilad Tiefenbrun and the technical developer were adamant that microphone measurements are not the optimal way to approach the room problem. In those measurements, the frequency responses of both the microphone and the speakers enter the equation, muddling and complicating things.
(...)

They are not alone. I recently read an article claiming that incorporating the results of proper simulation in the correction algorithms results in much better results that simple microphone measurements using amateur techniques. I will look for the paper later and post a link.

The main problem for audiophiles is that usually proper acoustic modeling and simulation such as carried by Keith Yates Audio costs a lot of money. :(

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
http://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems/technology/space-optimisation

The optimization is done in two ways: first, via specific speaker "profiles", and then via room optimization.
The first bit is akin to Devialet's SAM. The second is done not through a mic, but via entering all sorts of data about your room, like size, speakers distance from the walls, even the materials the walls are made of (and your furniture!).
I saw the interface briefly on the unit we have in the store (the entry-level integrated+streamer), but it seemed comprehensive.
We're planning an event like this one, to introduce these new Linn technologies.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
You have to use a measurement mic to do RC properly... especially in the low bass .. there is theory and then there are measured results..
Linn is rather late on the boat with this..plenty really potent and effective units out there , Meridian have had MRC for yonks and then there is dirac , Acourate etc etc

Low bass correction can only remove peaks - can do nothing for dips - but merely removing the peaks will unmask all the other freqs that the boom masks
At the end of it all .. if you DO use DRC to flatten bass resonance .. then you still have to overlay a preference based target curve to get it to sound right.
At the very least - linn must get kudos in recognising the room as the primary determinant of sound and actually doing something about it.. a zillion % better than no DRC at all.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
http://www.linn.co.uk/music-systems/technology/space-optimisation

The optimization is done in two ways: first, via specific speaker "profiles", and then via room optimization.
The first bit is akin to Devialet's SAM. The second is done not through a mic, but via entering all sorts of data about your room, like size, speakers distance from the walls, even the materials the walls are made of (and your furniture!).
I saw the interface briefly on the unit we have in the store (the entry-level integrated+streamer), but it seemed comprehensive.
We're planning an event like this one, to introduce these new Linn technologies.

Unless he did a DBT with Space opti software, think the whole post is worthless ;)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The Linn Akubarik Exakt I heard in two different rooms was better than any Devialet or Meridian system I have heard, by far. In fact, if one wants to give up audiophilia, just have a decent system to stream music into, I would strongly recommend an used linn Akubarik Exakt (and I am not a fan of their other speakers). One box, two speakers, look clean, just one power cable and one ethernet to each speaker, and start streaming.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
bonzo,

I'm pretty freaked out here, as this is likely the first time ever that I agree with you :)

I do agree that Linn is "late to the game", as they have just introduced this feature this year. But IMHO this product doesn't compete with stuff like DEQX or Dirac or other DSP/convolution engines out there. This is basically Avantgarde's idea of DSP taken to the next level. So, I don't think you can say it's "half baked" if you haven't heard its results or seen how the product/interface works in real life.

Linn develops its own software, and has been doing it forever, and it's actually pretty proud of their results. If you use one of their streamers, with Linn's own app, it's by far the most stable and solid experience out there. Their software is bullet-proof.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
bonzo,

I'm pretty freaked out here, as this is likely the first time ever that I agree with you :)

I do agree that Linn is "late to the game", as they have just introduced this feature this year. But IMHO this product doesn't compete with stuff like DEQX or Dirac or other DSP/convolution engines out there. This is basically Avantgarde's idea of DSP taken to the next level. So, I don't think you can say it's "half baked" if you haven't heard its results or seen how the product/interface works in real life.

Linn develops its own software, and has been doing it forever, and it's actually pretty proud of their results. If you use one of their streamers, with Linn's own app, it's by far the most stable and solid experience out there. Their software is bullet-proof.

Not sure where we disagree. You like Avantgarde, I like them too. I only like the trios, not the duos, while you might like the latter. I am not saying MSB is not good, just that Lampi is better :D

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
You have to use a measurement mic to do RC properly... especially in the low bass .. there is theory and then there are measured results..

[…]

Low bass correction can only remove peaks - can do nothing for dips -

If you can calculate peaks you can also calculate dips. It's physics.

I have no doubt that correction based on microphone measurements can be efficient as well. Yet as for the technical issues regarding that, I do think Linn has a point.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I have heard it, and as I said in my opening post, the results are stunning.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
So no microphone needed or room measurement software, so how does it work exactly?
Keith.
It does what acousticians do with paper, pencil or spreadsheets. It attempts to compute the modes based on dimensions of room, location of loudspeaker and such. If you were designing a room from scratch, that is what you would do as there is no room yet to measure.

Such math has traditionally not been perfect so EQ is used to make the last correction. But sounds like they have worked on closing the gap.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
I have heard it, and as I said in my opening post, the results are stunning.

I do not doubt your impressions. Like others, I am happy to see Linn joining the game. DSP is a powerful tool still only in its infancy. I can see where they can improve speaker performance using it, as have others.

I do not at all understand the issues many have with mike measurement in the room, however. Any model based on dimensions, speaker position, etc. is a poor approximation of reality, in my view. My room is not a nice rectangular box and the absorbency of the specific mix of wall, floor, ceiling materials and furnishings virtually impossible to model accurately. It is far too complex. Ditto for all the other audiophiles' rooms I know. And, when I hear the transformation to my sound after a 20 minute mike calibration sweep for true measured room EQ, I just do not see how Linn's approach could possibly offer an advantage in conquering the room's issues without actual mike measurement.

Don't trust an individually calibrated $100 mike? You can always buy a professional one for $thousands. But, given the complex variability of the acoustical sound field in a room, that is false precision, in my view. If you understand and have measured a room or two, you might quickly see that the difference between +- 1 dB and +- 0.1 dB accuracy is not really the issue. The issue is identifying excursions of 5, 10, 20 or even more dB at specific frequencies and compensating for them, hopefully improving time domain response in the process. A computer model of linear dimensions, etc. can only do that in theory, imperfectly.

Still avoiding the mike and attempting to fine tune their modeled solution by ear alone is going to be a long, long and frustrating voyage of uncertainty with results of still dubious accuracy. The mike, even an inexpensive one, will get you there more quickly and accurately, getting you back to music listening much, much more quickly. And, you can still further tweak the mike calibration result by ear if you wish.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing