Rename the "Science of Audio" forum

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My head is down guys. That thread created interest from a number of other forums. Folks came here and what did they see? A professional discussion? No. What they saw was members bickering, ignoring forum rules and decorum. What was unclear about not going in there and posting off-topic comments? You have a beef with a title of a forum, you post it in the suggestions subforum, or report it to moderator. You don't go in there challenging me and others on "what is science." Could we look any less unprofessional in the eyes of others? I don't think so.

While I always thought "science" overstated anything we discuss in audio, I am now thinking we should go back to that name just to see if the few of our members who could not think of something constructive to post there, can learn some amount of self-restraint and act constructive, friendly and professional.

And oh, the only thing you could do to make things worse is posting negative commentary about the forum here. Did someone call us "WTF?" Do you call the company you work for using derogatory terms? As your hosts, we don't even deserve that much respect from you???

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
Perhaps, Michael, you should ask for yet another new forum to be created for things like blind testing. I would bet that at least 99% of participants there would have no clue about how to evaluate the validity of any DBT's, or even SBT's, mentioned :D

Seriously, I just think there's a lot more to discuss than FFTs. Even the most diehard subjectivist should agree with that.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
No, unfortunately this forum became a joke when it lost its audiophile focus. There's really no justification for making this another Hydrogen Audio, there already is one. As I posted earlier in this thread, the fact that the majority of scientifically trained members no longer participate here is very telling, to me at least. Unfortunately, as much as I disagree with Peter B's complaints and methods of leaving (and I do very much disagree), that is the time when the forum lost its focus and became a joke, whether from that instigation or not. I for one find that very unfortunate.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
No, unfortunately this forum became a joke when it lost its audiophile focus. There's really no justification for making this another Hydrogen Audio, there already is one. As I posted earlier in this thread, the fact that the majority of scientifically trained members no longer participate here is very telling, to me at least. Unfortunately, as much as I disagree with Peter B's complaints and methods of leaving (and I do very much disagree), that is the time when the forum lost its focus and became a joke, whether from that instigation or not. I for one find that very unfortunate.
And you are here why? Just to complain, post against clear forum rules for friendly discussion and not entering the science forum to fight a subjectivist war and proving running commentary of the forum?

MOD: Let me be very clear. If your only involvement in the forum is to complain about the forum, you will be receiving sanctions for violating TOS.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Yet you remain.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Yet you remain.
I have had hope, based on any number of conversations with current and former members, that the forum tone and focus would return to something at least close to what it once was, a really good mix of enthusiasm, knowledge and experience. Sadly, since that seems increasingly unlikely, I will depart as have so many others.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have had hope, based on any number of conversations with current and former members, that the forum tone and focus would return to something at least close to what it once was, a really good mix of enthusiasm, knowledge and experience. Sadly, since that seems increasingly unlikely, I will depart as have so many others.

I hope you do not. We need people as you, that can call things by their correct names and stand by their positions.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
I've been absent lately, caring for my son after 3 heart surgeries in less than a month. I'm saddened that I see so many good folks reduced to petty arguments. I'd ask that all members invest themselves in creating a positive direction for the forum, instead of stating continual complaints, etc. None of us get paid for doing this, and we want to believe that all our members would like to help create something better than the many "failure" forums around. Please consider contributing that which will build this place up, using the same passion that fueled the many recent negative exchanges.

Lee

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Hi Rob sir,

The focus we all have...it's up to us to refocus and hit the next higher level.
Criticizing won't do any good, but taking charge will.

I admit that I'm a little surprised, because you are a serious high-end audiophile and a high class professional worker...highly educated and well calibrated.
You are a leader...lead us and we'll follow you...I will. :b

Count on no one but you...the rest will automatically follow...whatever direction you take...I can guaranty it...be persevering in the pursuit of excellence...never give up...no matter what. I am counting on you...and in me too...along with you.

Best regards,
Bob

P.S. Stay, don't go away...you are just too valuable...we have lost already enough...time to regain. ...I truly mean that.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I've been absent lately, caring for my son after 3 heart surgeries in less than a month. I'm saddened that I see so many good folks reduced to petty arguments. I'd ask that all members invest themselves in creating a positive direction for the forum, instead of stating continual complaints, etc. None of us get paid for doing this, and we want to believe that all our members would like to help create something better than the many "failure" forums around. Please consider contributing that which will build this place up, using the same passion that fueled the many recent negative exchanges.

Lee

Hi Lee,

My heart goes all the way to your son...I will pray for the best outcome.

...And intelligent words you just posted...the true essence.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

Lee

And remember we lead by example.
God Speed. Healing is easy for God because he needs no help from us.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Ah Lee my heart goes out to your and your family, I know better than most here what you are going through. I really hope there is a positive outcome for your son.

As far as this forum goes, as I've told Steve and others we have already lost too many members who made this forum the fun and informative place it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) As far as this forum goes, as I've told Steve and others we have already lost too many members who made this forum the fun and informative place it used to be. (...)

IMHO a measurement thread would need a moderation from a moderator not directly involved in the debates to avoid becoming also an anti-subjective rant. Otherwise, if measurements are used mainly to "prove" that tweaks and high-end are just placebos and joke on the high-end fools, WBF risks loosing the audiophile community.

Again IMHO this thread on the USB devices was condemned to become polemic from start - the original post conclusions were too provocative, condescending and colloquial. The sentence on the garden rocks and musical happiness was an unfriendly aggression in a forum that claims to be friendly. The conclusions style managed to destroy the effect of the well written introduction and the five clear and well thought preliminary notes. YMMV.

As we are seeing now there is a lot to be learned from and debated in proper measurements - the main question is attracting the experts to debate them in WBF and simultaneously respect the audiophile community.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010

Are you really reading the forum? For every measurement-based thread Amir has posted, there are dozens of threads about turntables and tubes, horns, 5-figure DACs, etc, with no one challenging the high-end POV. WBF is, and always has been dominated by high-end audiophile discussion. And when Amir has posted a bit of testing, even in a forum created specifically for that purpose, the overwhelming majority of the posts to those threads have been the objections of subjectivists. You have deliberately come here, into this sub-forum created to avoid the very friction you brought with you, to question Amir's work, and whine pedantically about the title of the subform. You have insisted that the measurements Amir has done are inadequate, inappropriate, amateurish...yet you have failed to present anything showing a different result. And now you insult WBF in general, claiming it has been lost to incompetent objectivists, that it has lost its "audiophile focus," and you do so completely, probably deliberately, ignorant of the fact that subjectivist content dominates, and has always dominated WBF.

This is nothing more than verbose trolling. These are not the right measurements? Not valid? So go get some evidence to support your arguments. Or get out of this sub-forum created to avoid these kinds of arguments and go comment on the many threads here that will present no evidence other than bad poetry and bobbing heads. Or, if you're so convinced that WBF has lost its way because there have been a few threads that present evidence that runs counter to what audiophiles hear, go to one of the many audiophile forums that don't tolerate such challenges. Seriously, move on. Start another thread. Join another forum. Start your own forum. Do something. Because all you're doing here is bitching.

Tim

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
IMHO a measurement thread would need a moderation from a moderator not directly involved in the debates to avoid becoming also an anti-subjective rant. Otherwise, if measurements are used mainly to "prove" that tweaks and high-end are just placebos and joke on the high-end fools, WBF risks loosing the audiophile community.

Again IMHO this thread on the USB devices was condemned to become polemic from start - the original post conclusions were too provocative, condescending and colloquial. The sentence on the garden rocks and musical happiness was an unfriendly aggression in a forum that claims to be friendly. The conclusions style managed to destroy the effect of the well written introduction and the five clear and well thought preliminary notes. YMMV.

As we are seeing now there is a lot to be learned from and debated in proper measurements - the main question is attracting the experts to debate them in WBF and simultaneously respect the audiophile community.
First I take exception one more time in attempting to position objectivists as non-audiophiles. We are every bit of an audiophile as much as the next person here. We love music and strive to create the best listening experience. Nothing is more unfriendly and unhelpful than to keep positioning other peers of us who have the same love as we do this way. I hope I don't have to ask you again to not do this.

Second, we created a new subforum specifically for objectivists to have discussions among themselves without worrying about upsetting the other camp. Now you are coming here saying what we talk about there has to pass the approval of the other camp or else they are going to complain? This is what *Steve* wrote for that forum:

"A forum where objectivists can ask questions and exchange ideas regarding the science of audio as well as anything pertaining to audio that involves tests, measurements, ABX testing etc. We have all indicated a desire to read about the science behind our hobby but this is one forum where the subjectivists will not be allowed to derail or flame an objectivist thread with the comment "I trust my ears". As a result to all members this is intended to be a flame free forum and the warning on the door will say "Enter At Your Own Risk"

Where does it read to you that as objectivists we need to not say what we want to each other and have to walk on eggshells for the other camp?

Did the few of you follow those rules? Did you avoid derailing the thread? Did you avoid flaming the objectivists? You didn't follow any of this, did you?

This is the reality guys. We are all audiophiles. We want to pursue our missions as we see fit. This forum was started by Steve and I representing two distinct camps and approaches to this hobby. The forum has been and continues to be dominated by subjectivists and threads which is great. I read almost all of them, and it puts a smile on my face that we have the only mixed audience forum where they can have their discussions about any audio products without an objectivists derailing those discussions.

In reverse, every discussion of audio engineering, measurements, double blind test as of late has caused a ton of outrage. A suggestion was made to have a special forum where we, as the management team could enjoy our hobby and not deal with more protests. Steve created the forum and we started to utilize the thread. If you want editorial approval over what is written there, then you are out of line. Objectivists are not required to be politically correct in that forum.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
First I take exception one more time in attempting to position objectivists as non-audiophiles. We are every bit of an audiophile as much as the next person here. We love music and strive to create the best listening experience. Nothing is more unfriendly and unhelpful than to keep positioning other peers of us who have the same love as we do this way. I hope I don't have to ask you again to not do this.

Second, we created a new subforum specifically for objectivists to have discussions among themselves without worrying about upsetting the other camp. Now you are coming here saying what we talk about there has to pass the approval of the other camp or else they are going to complain? This is what *Steve* wrote for that forum:

"A forum where objectivists can ask questions and exchange ideas regarding the science of audio as well as anything pertaining to audio that involves tests, measurements, ABX testing etc. We have all indicated a desire to read about the science behind our hobby but this is one forum where the subjectivists will not be allowed to derail or flame an objectivist thread with the comment "I trust my ears". As a result to all members this is intended to be a flame free forum and the warning on the door will say "Enter At Your Own Risk"

Where does it read to you that as objectivists we need to not say what we want to each other and have to walk on eggshells for the other camp?

Did the few of you follow those rules? Did you avoid derailing the thread? Did you avoid flaming the objectivists? You didn't follow any of this, did you?

This is the reality guys. We are all audiophiles. We want to pursue our missions as we see fit. This forum was started by Steve and I representing two distinct camps and approaches to this hobby. The forum has been and continues to be dominated by subjectivists and threads which is great. I read almost all of them, and it puts a smile on my face that we have the only mixed audience forum where they can have their discussions about any audio products without an objectivists derailing those discussions.

In reverse, every discussion of audio engineering, measurements, double blind test as of late has caused a ton of outrage. A suggestion was made to have a special forum where we, as the management team could enjoy our hobby and not deal with more protests. Steve created the forum and we started to utilize the thread. If you want editorial approval over what is written there, then you are out of line. Objectivists are not required to be politically correct in that forum.

Amir, is there any way to disconnect the science/engineering/measurement/whatever forum from the What's New and New Posts functions? I suspect some would still follow us over there, desperate for the opportunity to be offended, but at least it would remove the final excuse for that behavior. It might even cut it down a bit.

Tim

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2701-Reviewing-the-Furutec-Demag

This is Gregs' attempt to inject science onto a Socratic discussion. It even had a blind listening test. Sane results. The science guys reacted in the same fashion. It just could not be.

While I enjoy anecdotal reports of members listening experiences, I also appreciate AMIRM and others interjecting measurements and scientific principles.. It's what makes this forum different. Segregation pf opinions would be a mistak.e

Groucho

Aug 18, 2012
UK
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Furutec-Demag

Science demands that you start with a hypothesis as to what is going on. It isn't good enough to attempt to show that something (e.g. demagnetising an LP) makes a change that people can hear (or not). You have to propose a possible mechanism by which it is happening and investigate that. If there is no possible explanation for a purported phenomenon then a scientific investigation fails at step 1 and there is no point going any further. Without this stipulation, homeopathy, religion etc. all have a claim on being worthy of 'scientific investigation' - which will go on forever without any concrete result.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing