This Newbie Needs Help With JRiver

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
OK guys I need some help.

Yesterday I thought that all was good but alas such is not the case

I had been running MC20 and yesterday updated to MC21

In the past two weeks I have transferred all of the music on my external hard drives to an NAS server.

Yesterday was the first time I had run JRiver in quite a while. On turning on JRiver for the first time it saw the server and created the new library. In my zeal and playing with MC21 I must have deleted the server library and there is no restore. I have toiled here for the past 2 hours trying to get JRiver to ADD again this new library but have not found an easy way to do it. I have tried with the server URL IP address but this does nothing

So to any of you out there that can help I would be much appreciative. BTW have any noticed that with the new MC21 there are some unexpected closings of MC21

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Steve - Usually when you upgrade to a new version of JRiver the old version still exists until you manually uninstall it. Since you're experiencing some issues with v21 anyway regarding unexpected crashes (as some other users are also reporting) I'd suggest trying to launch v20 from your start menu and see if the server library is found there. There are instructions in their forum about exporting a library from one version to make it available in a later version, which you can try once v21 becomes more stable. It might be best to stay on v20 for now. Good luck, it can be very frustrating getting such relatively complex HW/SW systems working properly for the first time. I'm going to spin some vinyl, it's much easier! ;)

Steve Williams

Steve - Usually when you upgrade to a new version of JRiver the old version still exists until you manually uninstall it. Since you're experiencing some issues with v21 anyway regarding unexpected crashes (as some other users are also reporting) I'd suggest trying to launch v20 from your start menu and see if the server library is found there. There are instructions in their forum about exporting a library from one version to make it available in a later version, which you can try once v21 becomes more stable. It might be best to stay on v20 for now. Good luck, it can be very frustrating getting such relatively complex HW/SW systems working properly for the first time. I'm going to spin some vinyl, it's much easier! ;)

unfortunately I manually uninstalled MC20

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
unfortunately I manually uninstalled MC20

Even if it is uninstalled, try looking in Documents> JRiver> Media Center 20> Library Backups These should still be there unless you dumped them specifically. I have uninstalled MC a number of times but the backups endure.

Fitzcaraldo215

Nov 3, 2014
I found it Kal. Thanks

Steve - hopefully you are fully back in business.

I do not think JRiver does an adequate job in describing their underlying architecture and how to use it in clear terms. It is not a secret, though, and many people have figured it out generally. If you already know what I am about to say, sorry, but it might help other newbies.

I never liked their term "library", for example. There is a directory file containing the metadata and pointers to the actual media files. That is what they call the "library", but it is really just like the card catalog in the typical book libraries we have visited since our youth. To avoid confusion, they should have called it a directory or catalog, rather than the "library". The really most important things are the media files containing the actual music to be played, which are not part of their "library" file. The "library" is just an aid to facilitate searching and locating specific media files, just like the familiar old card catalog.

For certain media file formats, the metadata = the tags (album name, artist, track #, timing, album art, etc.) can be optionally stored in the media files as well as in the "library". That is true for some common formats like FLAC, dsf, etc. It is not true in WAV, dff, ISO and several other formats, which have no or limited ability to store metadata. (I do not know how this translates to the MAC environment.). But, you must be sure to manually write the tags from the library to the media files, which is a JRiver library function. This may be important particularly if you do a lot of manual editing of the tags, as I do with a predominantly classical library.

Where am I going with this? Backing up the library file is useful and important, and JRiver does much of that automatically. But, I like to also create a second backup of the metadata in the media files themselves, since my media file formats support that. That way, even if I were to lose the library file and its backup copies, I could just reimport the media files into a new, clean library, and all my tagging would be there, good as new. I also like to keep the library file on a separate drive from the media files, the former being on my main system drive and the latter being on my NAS. As long as I have the media files, I can always easily rebuild the library.

And, it bears repeating, that backing up the media files is even more critical than backing up the library. Media files need to be backed up manually outside of JRiver. Ideally, you would keep media file backups offsite for protection against disasters. If your media file formats do not support tags, a copy of the library backup should also go offsite. Library files are small, media files are large.

So, far this has worked pretty well for me with about 3,000 discs, mainly dsf, on many TBs of NAS storage. I hope it is helpful.

Steve Williams

Thanks Vincent. I am ok at getting the library but here is my problem. I transferred 6 Tb's of digital files from 3 external hard drives to an NAS RAID 5 server. There were 3 Tb's of DSD and 2X DSD files transferred to the NAS. Then turning on JRiver to import the library all of the files EXCEPT the DSD files show upon the library. I can play everything but cannot access my DSD files as the library manager for whatever reason doesn't see them. Previously I had no problems playing the DSD and 2X DSD files when they were on the external hard drives

Any suggestions would be helpful

Steve Williams

Just to make sure: I suggested to do so from the File Menu inside JRiver

Tell me how again Vincent. I thought auto download meant just that.it sees the NAS and transfers all of my library except DSD and 2X DSD

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Yes it should but somehow it doesn't
Just to make sure check if DSD is imported in the Import configuration
JRImport.JPG

The other one is simply open it using the file menu
Does it play?
Is it added to the lib?

JRFile.JPG

Clear enough?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing