Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
System is still a little buggy this morning (yesterday as well). Accessing the site from my bookmarks doesn't always work from the first try. I now just stop it and refresh and that seems to take. Obviously there is still something that needs to be addressed.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
There are currently 4927 users online. 56 members and 4871 guests

Most users ever online was 5,014, Yesterday at 02:37 PM.

Yeah, occasional timeouts. Lots of guests, hopefully legit but?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
There are currently 4927 users online. 56 members and 4871 guests

Most users ever online was 5,014, Yesterday at 02:37 PM.

Yeah, occasional timeouts. Lots of guests, hopefully legit but?

The diff between guests and members online is totally disproportionate. Something is very wrong with it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The diff between guests and members online is totally disproportionate. Something is very wrong with it.

If the data is accurately assembled it can indeed create "time outs" John.

It's like the data caps we have with our internet downloads.
* I've heard that very long posts (with pictures and all) are usually not handled very well by some websites. ...I don't know to what extent...but I've read it somewhere.

Heavy traffic can also jam some highways @ the peak hours when everyone's driving back from work. Here on the Island it's a serious reality issue...the time spent inside your vehicle would be much better spent @ the edge of a cliff looking towards the ocean and enjoying the waves and the views...killer whales and flying eagles, all that jazz while picking your guitar's strings.

We live in a commuting world of the internet , and in some ways it is similar to real life. ...Our computers are machines created by men and are much less than perfect...the very same as in real life outside on our highways driving under pressure.

Just sayin', and best to walk in the forest. :b

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The problem remains unfortunately. I spent some time diagnosing it but no remedy is here yet. Essentially we have automated robots walking the subforums continuously (but not reading the threads). The "good news" is that this doesn't inflate the thread viewcounts. But of course heavily increases server load, wastes bandwidth and slows down system response.

Thankfully our service provider has ample capacity and this is turning out to be nuisance rather than "denial of service" if someone is doing this on purpose.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Hi Amir,

I don't spend much time @ WBF, but occasionally I am interested by some good discussions, and also passionate in sharing some...music, films, ...
So when I'm on my prime, I could be active for a full hour or so, and couple times a day...and I don't experience those "time outs" myself personally.

Your service provider, I believe, is your best bet to improve the performance, from those 'time outs' some people are experiencing.
And you are one of the top experts here when it comes to the "computer" world. :b

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Looks like it. No issues at all today! :D

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Just a note that the swarm of traffic has been back as of yesterday. I expect it to die down in a similar manner in a day or two (crossing fingers). So if you see a delay in clicking on a link, just hit it again. Appreciate your patience. We can't control the Internet. :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing