Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: A new SMT level 3 reference room

Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Hi flyer

Are there any news in your room?
    You mentioned that you would like to have planar speakers instead...
    Hello Christoph,
    Well, yes I did end up doing something I normally never do: buy equipment without proper testing. In my search for ever better sound, I bought a pair of Analysis Audio speakers, the Omega model.
    To cut a long story short: its behaviour in my room is not very different from normal dynamic speakers. I think my room kind of creates a depth and a width with any type of speaker in there it seems.
    Of course, the Omega has a ribbon that is towering 1m70 high so it does give a realistic height to the sound image, more so than with a cone speaker and that adds to the 3D image for certain but it is not night and day and doesn't compensate for what I am missing from a dynamic speaker. I think a combination of both, like the Soulsonic Impulse speakers that I could hear one day at Totaldac (and floored me, reason why I started looking for a ribbon speaker), is close to perfection. That speaker is too big for my room though.

I put the Analysis Audio speakers back for sale as I ultimately prefer to listen to a dynamic speaker until the arrival of a new pair of speakers ... just yesterday I went to listen for what turned out to be an excellent speaker, in all respects; Aries Cerat's Symphonia horn speaker.
    The Symphonia is due to be in my room in three months time, can't wait :-)
    Aries Cerat and Stacore distributor for Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg - Tenor Audio and 432EVO Audition Center
    A few analogue brands are in the line-up to be released soon ...
    www.ultisone.be

Addicted to Best!
    Hello flyer

Thanks for your reply.

I have heard Analysis Audio several times, but always preferred overhauled Apogees.
    Have you never considered Apogees as an alternative?
    Henk, a very gifted Apogee installer/restorer, lives pretty close to you, near Rotterdam.

But the speaker you will be getting is certainly no slouch at all.
    I heard them some years ago at the High End in Munich and ranked them in my top three systems that year.
    I'm very confident that the Aries Cerat Symphonia will be absolutely awesome in your room.
    Last week I got to listen to the Aries Cerat Diana and it was REALLY good. Will you drive the Symphonia with Aries Cerat amplification?

Cheers,
    Christoph

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by christoph View Post
    Hello flyer

Thanks for your reply.

I have heard Analysis Audio several times, but always preferred overhauled Apogees.
    Have you never considered Apogees as an alternative?
    Henk, a very gifted Apogee installer/restorer, lives pretty close to you, near Rotterdam.

But the speaker you will be getting is certainly no slouch at all.
    I heard them some years ago at the High End in Munich and ranked them in my top three systems that year.
    I'm very confident that the Aries Cerat Symphonia will be absolutely awesome in your room.
    Last week I got to listen to the Aries Cerat Diana and it was REALLY good. Will you drive the Symphonia with Aries Cerat amplification?

Cheers,
    Christoph
    Henk's apogees are better than analysis, but the analysis that flyer has are stock, and the overhauled ones that get sold in the US are much different. Also, flyer and I discussed this, he has diffusers behind his panels in a 17ft room (or the room is 17 ft after the treatment, don't remember). Henk advised that in his room, with the diffusers, one needs to sit 5m away to avoid comb filtering. Also, all other panels I have heard, have preferred flat front walls

Yes I did consider Apogees but there are a few reasons why I haven't followed that avenue. One of them being that, as I have become a semi-pro as a distributor for a number of brands, I want a loudspeaker brand that I can represent commercially. As I am already distributor for Aries Cerat, this doesn't mean I automatically adopt all of their products in my line-up since each component is evaluated on its own merits. I started with their preamp, the Impera, and compared it to peers. I then did the same consecutively with the amplifiers (Concero 65) and the DAC. And all of them bettered or at least equalled (but at a far lower price) what I already had or knew.

I just now applied the same logic to the speakers and during a really long listening session, I immediately recognized in them the widely discussed advantages of horn speakers but not the drawbacks so typically associated to them. And these advantages propel them way beyond what a pure panel speaker (with a ribbon) will ever be able to do, except if you end up with a hybrid panel probably as discussed in so many threads and even then I doubt if the low end will be as resolved, the dynamics as realistic, the timbres as real, the holographic image as frightening, the absence of coloration as transparent, etc. AND somehow room friendly...

My conclusion is that I donít see a way, even when tweaking crossovers or using this type of magnet instead of that type of magnets or having such surface or such surface of bass panel, that the fundamentals of the Omega or any other similar panel will be able to get near this. It is a matter of design.
    Now hold your horses, I don't say the Symphonia are ideal but they are the closest that I ever heard! Did I hear them all, no. Did I hear Apogees before, no. Did I hear Avantgarde before, yes and was the main reason why I didn't want to go and give the Symphonia a good listen earlier...
    I have the Aries Cerat Concero 65 amplifier to drive the Symphonia although even their 25watt counterpart or the Diana integrated are enough to drive them as they have 101dB efficiency. But I need the 65Watt version to be able to do demos on other speakers because the Concero 65 drives dynamic speakers with an efficiency of 87-90dB very good as well.

The facts from Bonzo's post need nuanced somehow. Henk has never been in my room and I suspect very much he hasn't heard SMT wings nor has he knowledge of how they operate. The effect Bonzo learnt from Henk is correct IF you have panels in place that are based on the Schroeder theory (like QRD panels), where you effectively need to sit at a distance of minimally 3 or 4 times the longest wave length that such panel diffuses.
    As described in an earlier post, before I had the SMT wings I had plenty of Schroeder panels installed and I threw them all out as effectively my room is too small to have these. With the SMT wings, you can sit up to 30 cms from them and not having the combing effect. This is evidenced by the fact they now show up in so many audio shows where they substantially improve the sound image and envelopment experience of the listener in about any room.
    Now, the fact that panels prefer flat front wallsÖ maybe, but I donít say their sound image is not good (enough), there is no problem there. But, because of the wing treatment, I get a quite similar soundstage effect with cone speakers as I do with the Omega, so the latterís typical advantage over the other types of speakers is greatly reduced in my room, not the other way round!
    Aries Cerat and Stacore distributor for Belgium, The Netherlands and Luxembourg - Tenor Audio and 432EVO Audition Center
    www.ultisone.be

Quote Originally Posted by flyer View Post
    Hello Christoph,
    Well, yes I did end up doing something I normally never do: buy equipment without proper testing. In my search for ever better sound, I bought a pair of Analysis Audio speakers, the Omega model.
    To cut a long story short: its behaviour in my room is not very different from normal dynamic speakers. I think my room kind of creates a depth and a width with any type of speaker in there it seems.
    Of course, the Omega has a ribbon that is towering 1m70 high so it does give a realistic height to the sound image, more so than with a cone speaker and that adds to the 3D image for certain but it is not night and day and doesn't compensate for what I am missing from a dynamic speaker. I think a combination of both, like the Soulsonic Impulse speakers that I could hear one day at Totaldac (and floored me, reason why I started looking for a ribbon speaker), is close to perfection. That speaker is too big for my room though.

I put the Analysis Audio speakers back for sale as I ultimately prefer to listen to a dynamic speaker until the arrival of a new pair of speakers ... just yesterday I went to listen for what turned out to be an excellent speaker, in all respects; Aries Cerat's Symphonia horn speaker.
    The Symphonia is due to be in my room in three months time, can't wait :-)
    Hi Flyer!

Wow, congrats! I'm truly excited for you. When Stavros makes certain claims it's initially difficult to work out if he's been outlandishly arrogant or simply woefully deluded. Having heard the Kassandra, Impera II and Concero 65 in less-than ideal conditions, I've accepted that there's possibly a third explanation: He just knows how to design SOTA gear and his modesty doesn't let him lie about it.

Looking forward to catching up at some stage.

853guy

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzhead View Post
    Flyer , the room looks just oh so perfect . Is that an actual picture , or a coputerized 3D rendering ?

I too recently treated my room with products from SMT . The Bubble diffusers for the ceiling, Wing 95 for the side walls and a trio of Acrylic V Wing for the front wall . Extremely happy with the results , sonically and aesthetically . Bravo Matts !

i know a great company that will 3D render your room with the panels if u want to play with ideas

just supply photos of room and dimensions
    "An audiophile is only done when they go to the great brick and mortar store in the sky"

[/B]

That is exactly what I did as well, having a 3D render being made by SMT in beforehand. Is great for a few things, not the least to explain to the installers what needs to be obtained in the end, is so much more telling than a 2D drawing...

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 304
Size:  406.9 KB
    Name:  2.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  392.3 KB
    Name:  5.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  376.4 KB
    www.ultisone.be

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234