Soulution 701 Mono's VS Boulder 2150 Monos

dave03hd

Apr 22, 2014
I would like to hear from people that have actually heard these two amps, and to tell me what they heard good or bad. Again, ONLY people that have heard them please.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I've heard both but the speakers were so different (Soulution/YG and Boulder/Westlake) I honestly can't say what their contributions to the overall sounds were. I wish I could have been of at least some help. Maybe somewhere out there is a guy that's tried them both at home. I hope whoever that is finds this thread.

BFlowers

Apr 23, 2010
Westlake Texas
I've heard both but the speakers were so different (Soulution/YG and Boulder/Westlake) I honestly can't say what their contributions to the overall sounds were. I wish I could have been of at least some help. Maybe somewhere out there is a guy that's tried them both at home. I hope whoever that is finds this thread.

I have heard both extensively. In brief, I just went through a year of testing audio equipment looking for the best match for a new room that I just completed 3 weeks ago. I had Wilson Alexandrias, Boulder 2060, Boulder 2010, and the full DCS stack. I went around the country listening to everything i thought I might be interested in. I also had several things brought into my home (Soulution 701 monos with the 7 series pre, and the Dartzeel monos and pre) . I ended up choosing the Boulder 2110 and 3060. To be clear, all of these components are SOTA and sound great. It comes down to taste ultimately. I want to hear EVERYTHING on the recording! That's my thing. I don't want to be harshed out of the room with some bright system, though. The soulution was just a tad overripe for me. Threw a big and deep soundstage (nice but not my priority). Most people would love it, no doubt. The thing about 2000 series Boulder products, is that they present musical truth. What I mean by that, is the Boulder will play what is on that disc unembellished. And as they say some people "can't handle the truth." A review of the 2050 in one of the mags hit it right on target when they commented that you can hear every cable, outlet, transport, everything. Thus, it takes a bit of work to get the system to be pleasing. The reward is worth it IMHO of course. The 3060 is better than to 2050 monos. Still utterly transparent, but with more image density. If you are going to spend that kind of money, I would consider just a bit more and take that leap. Excuse the brevity, but I'm a bit rushed. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I have heard both extensively. In brief, I just went through a year of testing audio equipment looking for the best match for a new room that I just completed 3 weeks ago. I had Wilson Alexandrias, Boulder 2060, Boulder 2010, and the full DCS stack. I went around the country listening to everything i thought I might be interested in. I also had several things brought into my home (Soulution 701 monos with the 7 series pre, and the Dartzeel monos and pre) . I ended up choosing the Boulder 2110 and 3060. To be clear, all of these components are SOTA and sound great. It comes down to taste ultimately. I want to hear EVERYTHING on the recording! That's my thing. I don't want to be harshed out of the room with some bright system, though. The soulution was just a tad overripe for me. Threw a big and deep soundstage (nice but not my priority). Most people would love it, no doubt. The thing about 2000 series Boulder products, is that they present musical truth. What I mean by that, is the Boulder will play what is on that disc unembellished. And as they say some people "can't handle the truth." A review of the 2050 in one of the mags hit it right on target when they commented that you can hear every cable, outlet, transport, everything. Thus, it takes a bit of work to get the system to be pleasing. The reward is worth it IMHO of course. The 3060 is better than to 2050 monos. Still utterly transparent, but with more image density. If you are going to spend that kind of money, I would consider just a bit more and take that leap. Excuse the brevity, but I'm a bit rushed. Happy to answer any other questions you may have.

Well, there was a bit to much "truth" coming out of the high efficiency Westlakes. ;)

Congratulations on your new room Brian. Hope you reinforced your floors to handle the 3060, that is one BIG amp :D

Don't forget to call when you're in this neck of the woods again Doc.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

Wow...did i know you made these upgrades and forget to congratulate you? or forget that i DID congratulate you? Well...congratulations!!! That is huge news. I always felt the Boulder 2060 was one of my all time favorite amps and it was a coin toss and a favorable opportunity to get my other all time favorite, the Gryphon Colosseum. That is an awesome set of amplification...and the source which i did know you got is no slouch!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I have heard the Soulution 701s in my room compared to my Boulder 3060. The rest of the system: Wilson XLF, Mezzo, WATCH surrounds and Thor's Hammer, Boulder 2060, ARC RefAnniv., Baetis server, Playback Designs Merlot DAC, SME 30/2, Air Tight PC-1 cartridge, Boulder 1008, Esoteric K-01. The 701s are excellent amps and one could be forgiven for thinking they are the best (as some reviewers have said) if you have not heard the 3060. The Boulder 3060 is in a different league.

sthekepat

Dec 4, 2012
AMEN. Different league indeed.

I fully agree with the soulution 700/701 being a little warm and pleasant compared to the boulder 2000/3000 series.
I am an owner of the 2050 mono amps and have compared it Gryphon Mephisto solo (my previous amps). Here I feel the Gryphon had much higher resolution albeit a bit warmer in the midrange.
But oh lord, the resolution was untouchable. Gave it away in a whim and regret now.
Anyone with experience with Mephisto solo amps?

Regards,
sthekepat

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I fully agree with the soulution 700/701 being a little warm and pleasant compared to the boulder 2000/3000 series.
I am an owner of the 2050 mono amps and have compared it Gryphon Mephisto solo (my previous amps). Here I feel the Gryphon had much higher resolution albeit a bit warmer in the midrange.
But oh lord, the resolution was untouchable. Gave it away in a whim and regret now.
Anyone with experience with Mephisto solo amps?

Regards,
sthekepat

Wow...let me know next time you want to 'give away' Mephisto monos! ;) I have not heard the Mephistos myself, but know a few owners who are extremely happy with them, and have heard them relative to the Colosseum (which I own) and have found them to have superior resolution, and also 'greater intensity of sweetness' in violin strings during crescendos, etc.
Also much quieter than the Colosseums.

I have heard the 2060 Boulder in a very similar system in which I have heard the older Gryphon Antileon. Both excellent amps, but did for reasons of taste keep the Antileon and eventually moved up to the Colosseum when a very rare opportunity arose to buy a 2nd hand amp in mint condition from a reputable private owner.

Nice to hear your comments about the Mephisto monos.

sthekepat

Dec 4, 2012
Wow...let me know next time you want to 'give away' Mephisto monos! ;) I have not heard the Mephistos myself, but know a few owners who are extremely happy with them, and have heard them relative to the Colosseum (which I own) and have found them to have superior resolution, and also 'greater intensity of sweetness' in violin strings during crescendos, etc.
Also much quieter than the Colosseums.

I have heard the 2060 Boulder in a very similar system in which I have heard the older Gryphon Antileon. Both excellent amps, but did for reasons of taste keep the Antileon and eventually moved up to the Colosseum when a very rare opportunity arose to buy a 2nd hand amp in mint condition from a reputable private owner.

Nice to hear your comments about the Mephisto monos.

Hi Lloyd,
Nice to hear from you!
The gryphon has very high resolution but such high frequency and low extension that it's beguiling. BUT, it's noise floor is not as low as the boulders. How they manage such high resolution is truly amazing.
I routinely miss out on information on some of my discs (creaking chair, laughs in the audience etc.) with the boulder but the boulder gives than uncanny transparency with such a black background.
So at such levels it becomes a matter of personal tastes...
Enjoy.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi...just checking in sthekepat. What are you driving your speakers with now? Soulution 700s? Have you ever considered the gi-normously big Boulder 3060? Was curious as to your views on the Mephistos after a year whether you still rate them as highly as you used to. Thanks!

sthekepat

Dec 4, 2012
Hi Lloyd,
Yes, I am using Solution 700s and the Spectral DMA-400 RS amps. The Boulder 3060 is a little out of my range right now.
The Mephisto solo has a resolution that is nonpareil in my opinion. The Souls & spectral are very close though.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks, Sthekepat...very interesting. I would be curious to know how the Mephistos match to the incredibly bigger, more expensive 3060s. Always fun to imagine!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
Heard the new D'Agostino Relentless amps at Alma Audio last week. The Alma demo used the same speakers I now have, YGXV, so was interesting to hear how those huge amps compared to the smaller Boulder 3060 (never thought I would say that). Not a direct comparison of course since the rest of the system was different and Alma's room is a lot bigger. IMO BFlowers comparison above applies to the Relentless like it does to the 701s.

sthekepat

Dec 4, 2012

@BFlowers
Did you have a chance to compare the 2150 mono vs. 3060 stereo before buying the 3060?
Regards,
Sudesh

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Heard the new D'Agostino Relentless amps at Alma Audio last week. The Alma demo used the same speakers I now have, YGXV, so was interesting to hear how those huge amps compared to the smaller Boulder 3060 (never thought I would say that). Not a direct comparison of course since the rest of the system was different and Alma's room is a lot bigger. IMO BFlowers comparison above applies to the Relentless like it does to the 701s.

Is the Relentless that much bigger? I was measuring the Gryphon Mephisto which is quite close to the 3060 in size (but does not need the long blue-plug inlet)...am pretty sure the Relentless is 4cm shorter and 10-15cm deeper than either Gryphon or Boulder? That said, it sure is a heckuva lot heavier than the already massively heavy 108kg (240lb) Gryphon or 161kg (355lb) Boulder by as much as 1.5-2x!

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
The Relentless amps are much bigger and really stand out visually, with the huge meters and bright two tone shiny metalwork, which makes them look even bigger.

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
Relentless vs 3050 monos would be something of a dream for me to consider haha.

That said, I enjoy my Boulder 2060 very much.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
I am wondering what is a solid stage "benchmark" amp that people always measure against when new SS amps come out? None? Is the newer bigger more expensive one always be the one to measure against the former smaller less expensive ones. And the bigger newer normally wins?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing