Speaker Oasis...Bionor

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
And humans pervert the absolute truth of the performance of the speaker.

That's it then. Pervert's hobby:D

No wonder the phrase, old perverts

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Everything perverts, speakers pervert more than electronics.

It's generally accepted that SETs have the purest most natural sound and furthest from the spectrum are high powered class xyz solid state amps and there's the world in between. No matter how good the speaker what is lost and perverted upstream isn't recoverable downstream, you can't change that in any equation.

david

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
It's generally accepted that SETs have the purest most natural sound and furthest from the spectrum are high powered class xyz solid state amps and there's the world in between. No matter how good the speaker what is lost and perverted upstream isn't recoverable downstream, you can't change that in any equation.

david

'generally accepted'......hummmm.

it does explain your perspective on perverted. and no reason to discuss this further.

'the world according to David'.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

david

David,

I have not listened to all SET's, but IMHO and according to my limited experience, OTL's and some pushpull's, such as the Marantz Project T-1, owned by a good local friend, rank equal or better than my experience with SET's.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
the word 'pervert' to me is wrong as it infers an absolute truth where there is not one.

With that statement you're inferring both that there's no real natural sound in the world and all electronics sound the same because they don't pervert.

I'm saying that there is no 'absolute quality' of the sound of music. there is only personal opinion which can vary. which includes acoustic bass.

we might all agree on what is good and bad; but degrees of good might/likely will come down to opinion on preferred characteristics. so assigning 'perverted' to a particular approach is misguided. properly executed there is more than one legit approach to reproducing acoustic bass.

Nothing to do with personal opinion or preference, nothing to argue there but you can't tell me that when all things are equal a SET & a high powered ss amplifier reproduce the same acoustic bass the exactly same or anywhere close to each other. I'll even take both perverted but the degrees are different.

david

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Nothing to do with personal opinion or preference, nothing to argue there but you can't tell me that when all things are equal a SET & a high powered ss amplifier reproduce the same acoustic bass the exactly same or anywhere close to each other. I'll even take both perverted but the degrees are different.

david

David,

when you quoted what I said below you somehow added the part below that is highlighted which I did not write in my post you quoted;

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lavigne View Post

the word 'pervert' to me is wrong as it infers an absolute truth where there is not one.

With that statement you're inferring both that there's no real natural sound in the world and all electronics sound the same because they don't pervert.

I'm saying that there is no 'absolute quality' of the sound of music. there is only personal opinion which can vary. which includes acoustic bass.

we might all agree on what is good and bad; but degrees of good might/likely will come down to opinion on preferred characteristics. so assigning 'perverted' to a particular approach is misguided. properly executed there is more than one legit approach to reproducing acoustic bass.

I guess your choice to assign 'perverted' to a sort of amplifier sound you don't love is to me offensive and ill advised.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
'generally accepted'......hummmm.

it does explain your perspective on perverted. and no reason to discuss this further.

'the world according to David'.

You're changing it Mike, perverted when compared to the original, nothing to do with mine or your world. Unless you live in a tent in sub saharan africa we both live in the same world and are probably familiar with the sound and qualities of real instruments in a solid acoustic space.

david

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
You're changing it Mike, perverted when compared to the original, nothing to do with mine or your world. Unless you live in a tent in sub saharan africa we both live in the same world and are probably familiar with the sound and qualities of real instruments in a solid acoustic space.

david

that's exactly the question. which approach perverts the sound?

personally; I view the rolled off, lacking transient control, thick and slow, sameness veiled SET sound as perverted, using your vernacular.

and to one degree or another, they all have those characteristics inherent in their sound. they don't fully get out of the way of the music.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David,

when you quoted what I said below you somehow added the part below that is highlighted which I did not write in my post you quoted;

Fixed the punctuation, thanks for pointing it out Mike.

I guess your choice to assign 'perverted' to a sort of amplifier sound you don't love is to me offensive and ill advised.

Offending anyone wasn't my intention!

Edit-
that's exactly the question. which approach perverts the sound?
personally; I view the rolled off, lacking transient control, thick and slow, sameness veiled SET sound as perverted, using your vernacular.

and to one degree or another, they all have those characteristics inherent in their sound. they don't fully get out of the way of the music.

I have no problem with your preference and experience with SETs some do portray the characteristics you mention but...

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Will that change anyone's opinion, preference or expand their real world knowledge and experience?

david

No but it will see if you were right in your assertion! At least, in the limited subset of this forum.

Anyway, I'm off to a live Massive Attack gig in Bristol UK, to get me some REAL music LOL.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Fixed the punctuation, thanks for pointing it out Mike.

no worries.

Offending anyone wasn't my intention!

:D

I have no problem with your preference and experience with SETs some do portray the characteristics you mention but...

david

and there are SET's on my very short list of favorite all time amplifiers. because along with the SET character there is a wonderful sound.....and that natural purity. so an SET involves trade offs as do other approaches.

how does one connect most fully to the music in the way they prefer?

I do think calling alternate choices of amplifier topology negative names is provocative and divisive.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No but it will see if you were right in your assertion! At least, in the limited subset of this forum.

Anyway, I'm off to a live Massive Attack gig in Bristol UK, to get me some REAL music LOL.

Let me know if they have horn like bass or panel like, or Apogee like

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Wondering why his small horn is not playing orchestral slams like the Apogees

facebook_1472922364914 (1).jpg

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
“How can that be when even the best high powered/high current ss amps needed to drive these large panels lack so much in texture and resolution compared to high-end SETs and quality low/mid powered tube electronics?” — David

“Because speakers > source > amps” — Kedar

I think you guys are talking (writing) past each other and going in circles.

David considers the amplifier more important than the speaker, and he will sacrifice his favorite speaker rather than drive it with a suboptimal amplifier.

Kedar considers the speaker more important than the amplifier, and he will drive his favorite speaker with whatever amplifier works well enough so that the combination sounds, to him, better than any other amplifier with a suboptimal speaker.

David solves the system equation for the amplifier. Kedar solves the system equation for the speaker. I do not think you guys are ever going to agree on this . . .

I believe there is no objective right or wrong here. Some people prefer to make the amplifier the priority; other people prefer to make the speaker the priority.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
David solves the system equation for the amplifier. Kedar solves the system equation for the speaker. I do not think you guys are ever going to agree on this . . .

If David gives me his thorens reference, I will agree with him on anything, including politics

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
“How can that be when even the best high powered/high current ss amps needed to drive these large panels lack so much in texture and resolution compared to high-end SETs and quality low/mid powered tube electronics?” — David

“Because speakers > source > amps” — Kedar

I think you guys are talking (writing) past each other and going in circles.

David considers the amplifier more important than the speaker, and he will sacrifice his favorite speaker rather than drive it with a suboptimal amplifier.

Kedar considers the speaker more important than the amplifier, and he will drive his favorite speaker with whatever amplifier works well enough so that the combination sounds, to him, better than any other amplifier with a suboptimal speaker.

We've been beating the same VERY dead horse in multiple threads Ron :D!

david

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing