Speaker Oasis...Bionor

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, so why is it a scam?
Maybe the current owner thinks they can make a profit over that figure?
Or is the tt not all it seems?

There are a number of things about the listing that are wrong including current location and pictures that don't belong to him. Bid if you don't believe me.

david

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
David, haven't Genesis Dragons ribbons been used at Real World gigs as the transducers of choice in large auditoria?
I'm sure I saw that somewhere

There might be some sound reinforcement speakers using a ribbon driver somewhere but none that I know of and the Dragons aren't panels, i.e. full ribbon or electrostatic.

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked first...

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I just sent the seller a message asking if I can inspect the Thorens before bidding. We'll see what he says.

Beau

Scam alert! This one was on ebay back in November last year and went for over $50k, the pictures are from that auction. Marty noticed this auction too.

david

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
How can that be when even the best high powered/high current ss amps needed to drive these large panels lack so much in texture and resolution compared to high-end SETs and quality low/mid powered tube electronics?

david

I was using KR Audio VA350i, which is a 30 watt SET. Worked great. BTW, the bigger the planar, the more sensitive it is. I agree with you about the sound of big SS amps...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
"Shrewdly, Mr. Kurosawa has equipped his listening room with a wide variety of speakers of every kind—from dynamics to ‘stats to ribbons to horns—so I got a chance to listen to his electronics on just about every kind of transducer extant (with both LP and CD sources). Clearly the Technical Brain products are anything but picky when it comes to what they drive. In fact, the very best sound I heard in Japan (right alongside that of the all-tube Audio Tekne electronics driving Mr. Imai’s SP-9301S four-way horns) came from the Technical Brain solid-state amp and preamp driving what is, famously, one of the most difficult loads on earth: Apogee Duettas. One forgets how great Jason Bloom’s ribbon speakers were, and I’ve never heard them sound more realistic, more like the absolute sound than I did in Mr. Kurosawa’s Canadian-timber listening room. Reproduced sound may get different but it doesn’t get better than this."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...n-part-four-solid-state-from-technical-brain/

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
The bigger the planar, the more sensitive, in the case of Analysis Audio. In the case of Apogees, due to different ribbons between FR and Duetta, that changes.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Any panel speakers? ;)

david

No obviously not but the main gig sounded better than any other live gig I have ever witneswitnessed by good margin.

Top pro kit, a lack of room colourations, and the fact no other bands were playing all helped no doubt.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
They had planars initially but only the audience in the center could enjoy the music so they took them off

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
It really was phenomenal.

Closest domestics to that kind of sound? Apogees (mild wind up but half seriously):)

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
With some serious thinking the closest domestic speaker I can think of to last night's sound would be large Adam Tensors. They've stopped making them I think. Speakers with real bass balls that went seriously loud with ease.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
With some serious thinking the closest domestic speaker I can think of to last night's sound would be large Adam Tensors. They've stopped making them I think. Speakers with real bass balls that went seriously loud with ease.

Couldn't stand the Adam active, their biggest. Loads of bass all over the place. Hard them with top of the line Linn lp12, Lampi 7, and drink of..both with and without room correction

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Massive bass all over the place was last night... do you know Massive Attack?

Don't get me wrong it was way above the Adam's achievable output. And better sounding to boot. But nonetheless closeish in character.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Massive bass all over the place was last night... do you know Massive Attack?

Don't get me wrong it was way above the Adam's achievable output. And better sounding to boot. But nonetheless closeish in character.

No, but I don't like the Adam active for anything.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
"Shrewdly, Mr. Kurosawa has equipped his listening room with a wide variety of speakers of every kind—from dynamics to ‘stats to ribbons to horns—so I got a chance to listen to his electronics on just about every kind of transducer extant (with both LP and CD sources). Clearly the Technical Brain products are anything but picky when it comes to what they drive. In fact, the very best sound I heard in Japan (right alongside that of the all-tube Audio Tekne electronics driving Mr. Imai’s SP-9301S four-way horns) came from the Technical Brain solid-state amp and preamp driving what is, famously, one of the most difficult loads on earth: Apogee Duettas. One forgets how great Jason Bloom’s ribbon speakers were, and I’ve never heard them sound more realistic, more like the absolute sound than I did in Mr. Kurosawa’s Canadian-timber listening room. Reproduced sound may get different but it doesn’t get better than this."

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/art...n-part-four-solid-state-from-technical-brain/

IMHO one more case of great expertise in the setting of the system for the room. These very knowledgeable and skillful persons spend their life fine tuning their equipment in their rooms and create exceptional experiences.

Wether we common audiophiles can reproduce such conditions with the same speakers in our rooms is a very different matter.

I have owned Apogee Duetta's for some time. Listening to Paul Simon Graceland LP played at loud levels was an unique experience - I do not expect to reproduce it with any other system I will own. But with many other recordings they were far from being the best. And the few times they had magic it was at what people call realistic levels. But at "reasonable" levels they sounded just decent most of the time. All IMHO, YMMV.

BTW, looking at the picture in TAS, the room looks very large - a good think.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Micro, different apogees sound different. If you see my older posts I was advocating various stats and analysis audio over apogees, and was sold on horns

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also, I don't think Lissnr is any expert. He is just a sensible enthusiast who ignored pride of ownership and price tags, to stick to his ears. He has an 18*13 room, in which he tried to get his divas right for a year, and sold them to go to duetta sigs (both modded by Rich murry). How many times do we see audiophiles fill in big speakers into small rooms and nut correct the mistake?

He added the Lampi 7, TRL pre and TRL tube amps. Triode wire labs cables (think they are built on WE cabling).

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Just as an FYI I received a reply form the owner saying there will be an audition today for those who have made serious offers. If anyone here is serious I can follow up but it appears there's is at least bait on the line.

Beau

Scam alert! This one was on ebay back in November last year and went for over $50k, the pictures are from that auction. Marty noticed this auction too.

david

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
How do we get there today and listen, and even confirm it's the real thing, not modded etc?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing