Speaker Oasis...Bionor

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
All I can hear at the mo is deep loose horn bass with no mid or top end rom a DJ.

Dreadful. Primal Scream should be on a bit later.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
If David gives me his thorens reference, I will agree with him on anything, including politics

I would ask for the American Sound Turntable ...

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I would ask for the American Sound Turntable ...

Both are equally good. Thorens more beautiful sounding, American Sounds more neutral and bassy and dynamic. There is a reason he has both. They do different things, blonde and brunette

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Both are equally good. Thorens more beautiful sounding, American Sounds more neutral and bassy and dynamic. There is a reason he has both. They do different things, blonde and brunette

Menage a trois :cool:!

david

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Some people prefer to make the amplifier the priority; other people prefer to make the speaker the priority.

I think it is not the speaker or the amplifier - a few particular amplifiers and a few particular speakers.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Taking the systems in isolation they couldn't be any different, both are extreme but sonically probably have nothing or little in common, it depends on what you value. The room is a different deal, from what I see in the pictures and Steve's description the experience is untouchable for now, you can't achieve that in ordinary spaces.

david

..Jimmy's room is quite a feat agreed...GREAT SPEAKERS + GREAT ACOUSTICS = MAGIC

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

How would you describe the red - the EMT927?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'm kinda in the Dave camp ie discovering the irreplaceable joy of SETs, and minded to find the best combination to suit them, Zus or horns. Indeed I'm spending a lengthy period of time investigating a bespoke set of horns to suit my particular room/musical interests/design ethos, that will take some time to possibly become a practical concern
BUT...the best sound I've yet heard from the Cessaro Liszts, indeed any horns (in my admittedly limited experience), was with Class A SS ie Bakoon 15W/ch, NOT tubes
The worst was the same speakers with 700W/ch Class D MolaMola
Meh was the Liszts with Tron 211s

This suggests to me to retain an open mind/be agnostic, on the whole subject of ribbons v horns v box spkrs, and the best amps to drive them

Ie despite my pleasure centres so drawn to SETs and the speakers most likely to work best with them, if I can love Liszts and Bakoon Class A SS, there should be no reason I should be reticent to the idea of ribbons where SS is the clever partner

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I also heard another EMT927. This is all DIY stuff. Altec 604 something drivers, his own 15w amps, and 200lb cabinets. This was not as good as David's but I suspect that is because David is using an external phono, not the internal one, and the SME 3012 instead of the EMT arm. These was musical but think it needs a cart of higher resolution. I plan to hear a couple more later.

20160804_132004.jpg

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just got back from the Massive Attack gig.

Superlative sound quality when they came on. Really. Way above anything at Munich, for instance.

Massive scale. Unbelievably so, really. Huge live open air gig.

Good degree of mid range bite, which kept it sounding alive, superb ground shaking extended and tight bass. Massively excellent portraying the black singer's rendition of Unfinished Sympathy in the encore.

No SETs. Well, I'd wager a lot of money on that being true.:)

I'd be seriously curious to know what kit they were actually using in terms of speakers and amps.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
There were some Chinese Thorens Ref knock offs that "looked" really very good on ebay a while back.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked should be all over this one, I don't suspect they come on the market all that often
There will be nothing new that comes close in anyway remotely approaching this price

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Justin, I suspect no tubes at your gig
Looking forward to hearing the Living Voice/Definitive Audio horns powered by Atelier tubes in the Spiritland music venue in London
Suspect it'll be a tad more intimate than an open air gig
Then again, intimate is not what you go to a rock gig for, is it?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Just got back from the Massive Attack gig.

Superlative sound quality when they came on. Really. Way above anything at Munich, for instance.

Massive scale. Unbelievably so, really. Huge live open air gig.

Good degree of mid range bite, which kept it sounding alive, superb ground shaking extended and tight bass. Massively excellent portraying the black singer's rendition of Unfinished Sympathy in the encore.

No SETs. Well, I'd wager a lot of money on that being true.:)

I'd be seriously curious to know what kit they were actually using in terms of speakers and amps.

Any panel speakers? ;)

david

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
David, so why is it a scam?
Maybe the current owner thinks they can make a profit over that figure?
Or is the tt not all it seems?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
David, haven't Genesis Dragons ribbons been used at Real World gigs as the transducers of choice in large auditoria?
I'm sure I saw that somewhere

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing