Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Integrated Amp/DAC

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
The hard bit is that you MUST be absolutely meticulous in your efforts to eliminate that low level distortion, and that is why seemingly only a very, very small number of people reap the benefits ...

Frank

But Frank, you're not talking about low level distortion. You're talking about something you discovered "getting your hands dirty" while fiddling about "under the hood" that rendered all the various noises, distortions and inaccuracies of every recording from Robert Johnson to Justin Bieber inaudible, making all the recordings of all time musical, wonderful and highly listenable right up to the volume limits of the system. You're saying you turned some screw under that hood and performed an audio miracle.

Very specific information will be required or no, the little indulgence cannot be forgiven and I'll just have to assume that the screw was, indeed, turned under you head's hood. Not that there's anything wrong with that. My ability to thoroughly enjoy recordings that are, by modern standards, barely listenable, is absolutely in my head. But it doesn't require some secret tweak (other than the scotch, or bourbon in my case), and I'm not coming onto an audiophile forum and claiming I found it in my system.

Tim

Last edited:

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Tim, I'm sorry if my humour doesn't appeal; however, you are misunderstanding what I'm saying, which I have repeated over and over in numerous posts, particularly on Audiogon.

In spite of what you say, I AM talking about low level distortion. Virtually every system generates it, frequently in spades: put on a "difficult" recording at a volume level where it is getting particularly unpleasant, and put your your ear as close as you dare to one of the tweeters. It should sound like a gawd awful mess: this is SYSTEM GENERATED distortion, not RECORDING distortion. Why I do know this? Because I have used this assessment technique over and over again, and when the system is right that gawd awful mess goes away! Aha, someone says! "Typical metal dome harshness, crappy driver, etc, etc". Wrong, wrong! It is the system telling you that something IN THE SYSTEM is not right ...

And what is wrong I can't tell you. In big capitals, THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET!! What I did back then, and I repeat again, was to tweak and tweak, over and over again, eliminating every weakness I found or thought might make a difference until that capability was realised in my system. And when it happened for me, it was, to use modern vernacular, a WTF moment! And I repeat, that performance was extremely fragile and ephemeral, I could only capture it for short periods of time, and it drove me nuts for years trying to get a handle on the thing. Many times I could have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and thrown it into the bin!

My system is not special, I have repeatedly stated that essentially any system can be fine tuned to achieve that performance if one is prepared to put in the effort. Yours, extremely expensive ones, low budget value for money ones. What is required in most part is the mindset saying that it is possible to get there ....

All the tweaks I did and do now have been mentioned over and over again, on forums and websites; far more information is easily accessible now then ever was back then. And whole industries have grown up around supplying solutions in one way or another. So what are the tweaks doing? Eliminating weaknesses in the components and setup. And what are the weaknesses? All the things that have been mentioned over and over again: power supplies, connections, interference from the outside world on the setup, interference of the components with each other, etc, etc.

Couple of last points: you have at least one other member who understands at least some of what I'm talking about, muralman1; and the comments by Marty about the Lamm-Wilson "Travesty" System at CES, contrasting its performance with Steve's version. Obviously Steve has gone to great lengths eliminating and compensating for weaknesses in his setup of those components, so he has gone some or all of the way on that journey that I am talking about.

And finally, the Devialet: one reason it works is because everything is in one box, and you immediately have got rid of a whole lot of weaknesses ...

Frank

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i heard the devialet again today...briefly...running a pair of cremonas and and ARC cd8. i heard the exact same set up with Krell evo 402 and also with ARC Ref amps (110). I will say this...while the Cremonas sounded "nice"...there was a distinct lack of power and deep color tonality that i have heard these speakers deliver. While i am not a personal fan of Homages Series SF with Krell, i do like the Cremona series with the larger Krells. As compared to the Devialet, i will say i left thinking for 15K, i would still prefer to assemble a system that worked better for my speakers. OTOH, if you are looking for relatively simple setup...this is was a solid performer.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, I'm sorry if my humour doesn't appeal; however, you are misunderstanding what I'm saying, which I have repeated over and over in numerous posts, particularly on Audiogon.

In spite of what you say, I AM talking about low level distortion. Virtually every system generates it, frequently in spades: put on a "difficult" recording at a volume level where it is getting particularly unpleasant, and put your your ear as close as you dare to one of the tweeters. It should sound like a gawd awful mess: this is SYSTEM GENERATED distortion, not RECORDING distortion. Why I do know this? Because I have used this assessment technique over and over again, and when the system is right that gawd awful mess goes away! Aha, someone says! "Typical metal dome harshness, crappy driver, etc, etc". Wrong, wrong! It is the system telling you that something IN THE SYSTEM is not right ...

And what is wrong I can't tell you. In big capitals, THERE IS NO MAGIC BULLET!! What I did back then, and I repeat again, was to tweak and tweak, over and over again, eliminating every weakness I found or thought might make a difference until that capability was realised in my system. And when it happened for me, it was, to use modern vernacular, a WTF moment! And I repeat, that performance was extremely fragile and ephemeral, I could only capture it for short periods of time, and it drove me nuts for years trying to get a handle on the thing. Many times I could have picked up the whole kit and kaboodle and thrown it into the bin!

My system is not special, I have repeatedly stated that essentially any system can be fine tuned to achieve that performance if one is prepared to put in the effort. Yours, extremely expensive ones, low budget value for money ones. What is required in most part is the mindset saying that it is possible to get there ....

All the tweaks I did and do now have been mentioned over and over again, on forums and websites; far more information is easily accessible now then ever was back then. And whole industries have grown up around supplying solutions in one way or another. So what are the tweaks doing? Eliminating weaknesses in the components and setup. And what are the weaknesses? All the things that have been mentioned over and over again: power supplies, connections, interference from the outside world on the setup, interference of the components with each other, etc, etc.

Couple of last points: you have at least one other member who understands at least some of what I'm talking about, muralman1; and the comments by Marty about the Lamm-Wilson "Travesty" System at CES, contrasting its performance with Steve's version. Obviously Steve has gone to great lengths eliminating and compensating for weaknesses in his setup of those components, so he has gone some or all of the way on that journey that I am talking about.

And finally, the Devialet: one reason it works is because everything is in one box, and you immediately have got rid of a whole lot of weaknesses ...

Frank

So you were joking about finding a panacea that reduces the distortions of all recordings to sub-audibility? Cool. And what you're really talking about is small tweaks to reduce the low-level distortions present in all electronics? Cooler still. I'll bet we'd all like to hear the details. I'm curious, though. What do you do about the transducers, where all the high-level distortions lie?

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Tim,

Yes, I only joke about serious stuff ...

Unfortunately the details depend upon the gear you have; in my case way back when this all started a lot of it had to do with connections and switches, which I eliminated as much as possible -- effectively becoming a one box solution, and fiddling with the power supply caps of the amp. As I said, what you need to do will depend very much on how much of this engineering stuff has already been sorted on what you have now.

Surprisingly, the transducers or drivers are the least of your problems, which certainly surprised me and still does! When you hear a cheap bit of almost rubbish pound out a sound volume perfectly cleanly, where it is almost impossible to hear the person talking besides you because of the volume, it is quite amazing. Most of the real problems here are to do with the power supplies in the amp collapsing under stress: a good test is straighforward driving rock and roll with continuous ride cymbal work going on, Status Quo is perfect for this. Start the track at a very, very low level, say equivalent to that from headphones used as speakers, you should be able hear the cymbal work clearly and cleanly. As you wind up the volume, depending how good your amp is, that cymbal work will fall apart and go murky or disappear at some point. This is your power supply in combination the with the amp's circuit topology starting to lose the plot; it is amazing how low this level is on some systems!

Frank

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim,

Yes, I only joke about serious stuff ...

Unfortunately the details depend upon the gear you have; in my case way back when this all started a lot of it had to do with connections and switches, which I eliminated as much as possible -- effectively becoming a one box solution, and fiddling with the power supply caps of the amp. As I said, what you need to do will depend very much on how much of this engineering stuff has already been sorted on what you have now.

Surprisingly, the transducers or drivers are the least of your problems, which certainly surprised me and still does! When you hear a cheap bit of almost rubbish pound out a sound volume perfectly cleanly, where it is almost impossible to hear the person talking besides you because of the volume, it is quite amazing. Most of the real problems here are to do with the power supplies in the amp collapsing under stress: a good test is straighforward driving rock and roll with continuous ride cymbal work going on, Status Quo is perfect for this. Start the track at a very, very low level, say equivalent to that from headphones used as speakers, you should be able hear the cymbal work clearly and cleanly. As you wind up the volume, depending how good your amp is, that cymbal work will fall apart and go murky or disappear at some point. This is your power supply in combination the with the amp's circuit topology starting to lose the plot; it is amazing how low this level is on some systems!

Frank

I'm sorry, Frank, but I'm still confused. What are these electronic problems you're referring to that cause greater deviations from flat response (distortion) than are present in speaker systems? If transducers are the least of our problems, then would changing an amp or preamp in a system have a greater impact on the sound than changing speakers? Or even your small adjustments - changing some caps or resistors or a power supply - they could affect a greater change than switching from Wilsons to Revels? I'm not quite getting the power supply issue either. I've never experienced the cymbal work disappearing as I crank the volume up, I'm afraid, but I have heard the upper midrange distort when an amplifier runs out of headroom. Are you talking about power supplies with insufficient current to meet the demands of the transient peaks, causing the amp to clip? Is that what you mean by "lose the plot."

One thing I do understand and think we agree upon is simplification and integration. I suspect that is half of the Devialet's secret -- integration eliminates redundant components, power supplies and wiring, all of which are noise and distortion generators. The other half, I imagine, is upconverting everything to 24/192 and keeping all processing and control in the digital domain until conversion to analog just before amplification.

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Tim,

Yes, I agree with you 100% with regard to the Devialet.

As regards the speaker distortion, my fault, I was referring to non-linear (frequencies being there that shouldn't be there, eg HD, IMD) distortion being the problem whereas you are apparently thinking mostly of linear (the right frequencies at the wrong level or with phase shift) distortion. In my experience frequency response distortion is essentially benign or irrelevant to the listening experience once you minimise the non-linear stuff, a key part of which I would term "nasty" distortion. The latter is what causes the sound to fail the "is it real" test. Obviously speakers suffer badly from linear distortion, but the less non-linear distortion comes out, the more two speakers will sound the same to the ear and brain. The great thing is, and to grossly over-simplify, speaker transducers don't in themselves generate too much "nasty" distortion ...

As regards changing amps, it's a "depends". The trick is to think of the WHOLE system, including speakers, as a one box setup. Remember, a speaker to the amp is just (a) resistor(s) with a lot of other stuff, capacitors, coils thrown in. Any serious tweaker will tell you how much changing one capacitor or resistor in the amp altered the sound, now try changing a whole heap of the amp's components in one go, which is what you're doing changing the speaker -- no wonder the new setup can sound so different! Hence changing amps may or may work depending on how it interacts with the speaker, what people call "synergy".

The power supply issue has to do with a real problem in this whole audio game: we humans are more sensitive to distortion the higher the frequency (would you believe we can't detect distortion of the order of 100% in a subwoofer?); audio circuits typically produce more distortion at high frequencies, and power supplies work less well at supplying current at these frequencies too! Everything is conspiring against us!

So when I say the supply is losing the plot I mean that it is not maintaining a nice steady, say, 60V on the rail -- it is bouncing around like a nice little audio signal in its own right! As a bit of fun, and only if you really, really know what you're doing, hook a speaker up so you can't hear it, in another room covered with blankets, say. Then use the voltage rail of your amp to drive another, just normal amp as if it were an audio input and listen to the result over a second speaker as you wind up and down the volume of main amp. The most ungodly racket will most likely emerge, depending on everything!
I have deliberately not given details here, because this is extremely dangerous to you and your equipment if you don't know what you're doing ...

Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I have deliberately not given details here, because this is extremely dangerous to you and your equipment if you don't know what you're doing ...

Not to worry. My system is your theoretical ideal one-box, Frank. I'm not about to pop it open and screw around with perfection. :)

Tim

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
I have read most of the comments on this thread and thus would like to offer my take after playing with the Devialet for over an hour on Saturday at the Mirage. I do not think it was the single best piece I have ever heard, but it is certainly a contender. While I heard it on a pair of the new Crystal',s it was the Focal La Scala's that I listened to the most, pushing the volume at times well in excess of 110 db, if not more. There was never any sound of strain, nor lack of power. The sound character did not change with volume changes. Plain and simple it did not sound like any other class D amp I have ever heard. It sounded much more like a class A amp with a tiny bit less air. According to the designer with whom I spoke for at least 10 minutes, if I have it right, the class A portion of the amp is sufficiently powerful to actually drive the speakers, but is used predominantly as a referencing/driver circuit for the class D section, which provides the true power.

I think that in addition to some innovative design issues, what makes this unit so special is what has already been alleged, it's reasonable price point, common use of power supplies AND extremely short runs between the different components within the unit. To get a sense of the true size, think of slightly large bathroom floor scale and maybe 2 inches thick. BTW, no one has commented on the remote, which is maybe 4" square with a single large chrome knob that serves as the volume control and three buttons with features to be determined besides input selection. It is much more intuitive that standard remotes.

I could easily live with this piece, although I would not mount it on the wall, because I am use to my bathroom scales on the floor!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
common use of power supplies AND extremely short runs between the different components within the unit

Of course this is common to all integrated amps. The duplicative resistors capacitors, power supplies, cables, etc., that are part and parcel of component stacks has always struck me as at odds with audiophile goals.

Tim

Jeff Fritz

[Industry Expert]
Jun 7, 2010
Of course this is common to all integrated amps. The duplicative resistors capacitors, power supplies, cables, etc., that are part and parcel of component stacks has always struck me as at odds with audiophile goals.

Tim

There are many innovative features, one of which is the marrying of class-A and class-D, purportedly giving them the best of both worlds. We talked with several designers at CES who said this might be the first time this has ever been done in the way they do it. As well, the distortion never changes regardless of power output, also unique. See this:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&catid=57&Itemid=86

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
There are many innovative features, one of which is the marrying of class-A and class-D, purportedly giving them the best of both worlds. We talked with several designers at CES who said this might be the first time this has ever been done in the way they do it. As well, the distortion never changes regardless of power output, also unique. See this:

http://www.soundstageglobal.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121&catid=57&Itemid=86

Of course. I was addressing the specific comment regarding common use of component parts and short runs of wire between stages. The marriage of A & D is new. It may end up being a ground-breaking innovation or just an idea that works well when implemented well but is not, in the end, superior to other well-implemented designs. The elimination/reduction of redundant component parts and cabling is a well-established path to lowering noise and distortion, even if it is one commonly ignored by the high end. And I like the A/D D/A conversion processes they've used to keep processing in the digital domain as much as possible. Can't say I'm crazy about the complete lack of controls on the main box, but that is picking nits...

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Silly me!

After the first couple of rounds, Tim, I should have done a bit of checking (snooping?) to see where you were coming from, and now what you were saying all makes sense. But it was one of of those days ....

It would be hard to get better sound for the money than what you're getting with those AVi's in standard form. One project that I was veering towards at one stage was building digital speakers along similar lines to what you have got, perhaps a bit more ambitious with the bass setup.

In fact you're in even better shape than the Devialet because the speaker side has been sorted out as well -- the key engineering has all been done before you got your hands on it. A potential weakness is the digital feed into the unit, how well that's been thought out. The cymbals test, as you say, would not expose any major weakness; the amps are having an extremely easy ride doing what they need to do, compared to the majority of systems.

A final word, and you will hate me for saying so, but all those original points I made, which you picked me up on, are still just as applicable for your system! How your box/system has been put together makes the job much easier, and if tweaked appropriately would up the performance quite dramatically.

Cheers,
Frank

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A potential weakness is the digital feed into the unit, how well that's been thought out.

The DAC is really quite good, very simply designed around the TOL 24/192 Wolfson. It's best feature, in my estimation, is that it is optimized for an optical input, providing perfect galvanic isolation from my computer, so I don't have to worry myself over all those things that keep computer audiophiles awake at night. It sounds very good, within its limits, but it has them, bass extension being the primary one. You can, of course, address that with AVi's sub, but I don't have the room for it.

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Tim, I was thinking more about the issues of getting a clean clock to drive the DAC; not galvanic isolation but the notorious jitter thing. Yes, good DAC's should reject jitter, and good SPDIF receiver setups should create low jitter clocks -- that's the theory. That's apart from the digital circuitry doing this job spraying muck around into the analogue circuitry, about and after the DAC.

This is all the more subtle stuff you need to worry about ...
Frank

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, I was thinking more about the issues of getting a clean clock to drive the DAC; not galvanic isolation but the notorious jitter thing. Yes, good DAC's should reject jitter, and good SPDIF receiver setups should create low jitter clocks -- that's the theory. That's apart from the digital circuitry doing this job spraying muck around into the analogue circuitry, about and after the DAC.

This is all the more subtle stuff you need to worry about ...
Frank

Thanks, but I'll probably not spend much time worrying over jitter. I have a whole string of good reasons to believe jitter is either not audible at the business end of a competent DAC, or so close to inaudible that I would have to train myself, and strain myself to hear it. I think I'll pass. I'm rapidly approaching 60, and while my father is in pretty decent health, he's only 93, causing me to suspect that I may not be genetically predisposed to live long enough to listen for jitter when I could be listening to music.

Jitter is the harmonic distortion of the tomorrow; someday we'll look back and say, yeah exists. But it hasn't been an issue at the analogue output of a decent DAC for a long time.

Tim

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Tim, jitter is just another form of noise: you can either have a perfect DAC fed with a jittery clock, or a DAC which generates highly amusical spurious noise when fed with a perfect clock. Both setups are feeding the following circuitry with the same type of low-level distortion, which may or may not be audible. The manufacturers say that their DAC chips are impervious to jitter which may, or may not, be true; this is why people play around with the clocking mechanism to find out for themselves how they they feel that claim holds up.

Again, the other thing is that DAC chips are not the perfect little black boxes that the manufacturers would have you believe: inject some nasty high frequency noise into the power supply and ground pins of that chip and see how it behaves itself. Gee whiz, high frequency glitches -- that's what the text books tell you digital circuitry tends to spew forth, hmmm ....

Frank

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Two comments:
Russ' description of the Devialet as a "Class A amp with a little less air" was spot on in my opinion. Excellent descriptor.

Phelonious's comment that the unit was optimized for optical input may be true, but the Devialet was shown to full effect using a Mac computer firewire output that was linked to the AES-EBU input of the Devialet by the use of the small and lovely INT202 box by Weiss (that converts firewire to AES or S/PIDF). THe problem is that this little box costs about $1900. Does anyone know of some way to convert Firewire to AES or Toslink at a bargain basement price?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sorry Marty, perhaps I wasn't clear. I was saying my system's DAC is optimized for optical, not the Devialet. I don't know a firewire digital transport that is reasonable, but I convert USB to coax/AES/optical with a small metal box from a Chinese company called Trends. It is inaudible, which is, IMO, the best recommendation. About $200.

Does anyone know of some way to convert Firewire to AES or Toslink at a bargain basement price?

http://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=firewire+to+aes+interface&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#q=firewire+to+aes+interface&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=ivnsfd&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=vrAtTc3BBYO78gbN672fCg&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CEIQrQQwAg&biw=1278&bih=611&fp=a20cfd04ba3c5cf9

Compared to 2 grand, most of the better pro converters qualify as "bargain basement," and offer a ton of options and flexibility you'll never need. I'd even look at Weiss Digital vs Weiss High End. If converters are anything like DACs, he may have one in his proline that is functionally identical and substantially less. His DAC2 and Minerva are functionally identical, even according to Daniel. The Weiss High End Minerva is $2000 more. That makes the DAC2 a great bargain basement find!

Frank, I get what you're saying about jitter, but I don't hear it in my speaker or headphone systems. I have heard noise that fits the description, but it has become pretty rare in decent products. YMMV, of course, but I've concluded that if you can hear jitter effects without putting on the headphones turning up the volume and ceasing to pay attention to the music, you're dealing with a product that was incompetently designed. I've only had one of those in-house in the last several years. I sent it back.

Tim

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing