Benz Micro LP S

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
As some know, I've had an LPS in my drawer for over a year and was really reluctant to mount it because my Ruby 2 was so darn compelling. Well, I finally made the jump about 4 mo ago and I'm glad I did. The LPS is a beautiful sounding, more finely tuned, more resolving cartridge in the same vein as the Ruby 2, and most importantly, with the same outstanding Benz musicality. No regrets whatsoever. As good as the Ruby 2 is, the LPS-MR is indeed slightly better. Its 'satisfaction' factor, like the Ruby 2, is off the charts. Set it and forget it. High praise indeed for any hi end audio component.

That said, the only other cartridge I would consider if I had the resources would be the ZYX Universal Premium, but the cost differential on that would have be 5-7K more than the LPS, which is considerable. It may be on the list, but way down the list for now. The reason I covet the ZYX may be perhaps misguided because I heard it in a front end that included the Lamm LP-1 Signature phono stage. When I heard Steve's front end, including the AF turntable and MB cables, it's not easy to pick apart which component contributes exactly how much to the overall "whole". While I'm sure the Lamm LP-1 provides a great deal of the magic, my confidence is also very high that the ZYX also contributes heavily to the "wow" index of what is arguably the finest phono front end I have heard to date.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
As some know, I've had an LPS in my drawer for over a year and was really reluctant to mount it because my Ruby 2 was so darn compelling. Well, I finally made the jump about 4 mo ago and I'm glad I did. The LPS is a beautiful sounding, more finely tuned, more resolving cartridge in the same vein as the Ruby 2, and most importantly, with the same outstanding Benz musicality. No regrets whatsoever. As good as the Ruby 2 is, the LPS-MR is indeed slightly better. Its 'satisfaction' factor, like the Ruby 2, is off the charts. Set it and forget it. High praise indeed for any hi end audio component.

That said, the only other cartridge I would consider if I had the resources would be the ZYX Universal Premium, but the cost differential on that would have be 5-7K more than the LPS, which is considerable. It may be on the list, but way down the list for now. The reason I covet the ZYX may be perhaps misguided because I heard it in a front end that included the Lamm LP-1 Signature phono stage. When I heard Steve's front end, including the AF turntable and MB cables, it's not easy to pick apart which component contributes exactly how much to the overall "whole". While I'm sure the Lamm LP-1 provides a great deal of the magic, my confidence is also very high that the ZYX also contributes heavily to the "wow" index of what is arguably the finest phono front end I have heard to date.

Marty, thanks for the update. I am not that surprised that the LPS MR is of the same vein as the Ruby 2. To handily beat the Ruby 2 in all parameters is a VERY tall order, IMO. OTOH, the new Zyx could be what the doc ordered...the middle of the line 4D Ultimate with the CF cantilever could be a good alternative to the LPS MR. A fellow a'phile whose ears I trust tells me that the new Ultimate series with the CF cantilever is a BIG step up over the old models. He has heard the Universe Premium and tells me that the new 4D Ultimate is in the same class and possibly even better!!! This at a significant price difference to the older model. The new Ultimate Diamond or Dynamic is apparently a BIG step up over the older Universe Premium. I need to hear these for myself, but it certainly is an interesting development.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I preferred the Zyx 4d to LPS MR in another audiophile’s system and a friend has just bought a new Zyx Ultimate Dynamic which he is finding much better than the Benz LPS he owns (modded by Holger Stein) right out of the box. I will let him report as his Zyx warms up.

Apologies, Ked, for the delay on my part to chime in. I mounted my new zyx ultimate dynamic just about a week ago. So these are initial impressions only. I am new to analog and hence haven't tried different arms/carts combinations etc...but I have reasonably acute ears to make out the difference in sound. That said, I have enjoyed the Stein music aventurin cartridge which is essentially a Benz LPS modified by Holger Stein. But in my view, the zyx ultimate dynamic is already better on many parameters. Sometimes, the initial impressions are lasting ones so I will continue to report as the zyx breaks in...the areas where I find the zyx to be better:
- it is quieter, way quieter than the Benz
- I felt the extension both ends, but especially on the treble was higher with the zyx
- the soundstage in terms of layering, depth and width, essentially all parameters
- the amount of detail, though, this may also be due to the fact that the zyx is quieter.
- the bass is punchier!

I took a bit of risk buying the ultimate dynamic given its very low output but I am surprised it didn't make as much difference as i had thought regarding gain settings. My dealer was insistent that I should go for the ultimate dynamic and I have no regrets. Apparently, the Japanese dealer of zyx likes the ultimate dynamic over the previous universe. I haven't heard the universe so I can't comment.

My analog rig comprises the AMG Viella V 12 on the custom HRS platform, which goes into my Burmester phono module in the pre. For now, I can say that with no change in the set-up, I find the zyx is superior. I will put the Benz back after sometime to reassess my initial findings and report back. I don't plan to part with the aventurin and instead am looking to mount it on a second arm which I am currently exploring....this will afford a more direct and real time comparison....

Cheers

Sujay

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Marty, thanks for the update. I am not that surprised that the LPS MR is of the same vein as the Ruby 2. To handily beat the Ruby 2 in all parameters is a VERY tall order, IMO. OTOH, the new Zyx could be what the doc ordered...the middle of the line 4D Ultimate with the CF cantilever could be a good alternative to the LPS MR. A fellow a'phile whose ears I trust tells me that the new Ultimate series with the CF cantilever is a BIG step up over the old models. He has heard the Universe Premium and tells me that the new 4D Ultimate is in the same class and possibly even better!!! This at a significant price difference to the older model. The new Ultimate Diamond or Dynamic is apparently a BIG step up over the older Universe Premium. I need to hear these for myself, but it certainly is an interesting development.

Its hard to tell the pecking order of the ZYX cartridges from the SoraSound website. It's really FUBAR as the Universal Premium is barely mentioned in comparison to the new line. I'll say this though. If the new Ultimate Diamond or Dynamic is better than the Univeral Premium, they've each got to be one hell of a cartridge.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
There is 100, Airy, 4D, Omega were the classics, increasing from L to R. The classic series had the carbon fibre cantilever making it Ultimate for those models. And then they added Ultimate Diamond and Ultimate Dynamic, the diamond with a Diamond cantilever, which I think is what Pietro of Yamamuras has.

The above series are all international. The Universe series was made for the US markets with Sorasound as global distributor (the other models have international distributors, so if I wanted to buy an Ultimate it will be from the UK distro, but I can buy Universe from Sorasound). The 4D came later than Uni I and some said it was better, then came the Uni II and it was said to be much better than both, and then the Uni Premium at twice the price of the Uni II.

So the question is, how does 4D ultimate compare to Uni II and Uni Premium? If it's better than the Uni II, it will be a super bargain. And then, how does Ultimate Dynamic compare to the Uni Premium?

And does anyone have a preference for the Diamond over the carbon?

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de

I went on a similar journey a few years back. I was running a Benz Ruby 3 and was very pleased with what it did. Then I decided to take the plunge and bought an LP-S MR - and never looked back. The LP-S did everything the Ruby 3 did, but just more of everything. More details, more realism, deeper and tighter bass, bigger soundstage. It was an extremely listenable cartridge. I still don't really know why I eventually sold it...

I mounted my new zyx ultimate dynamic just about a week ago.

Hi Sujay, what is the price point of the ZYX Ultimate Dynamic?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

The list on the ultimate dynamic is around $5.5-6k though this will differ from country to country.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
There is 100, Airy, 4D, Omega were the classics, increasing from L to R. The classic series had the carbon fibre cantilever making it Ultimate for those models. And then they added Ultimate Diamond and Ultimate Dynamic, the diamond with a Diamond cantilever, which I think is what Pietro of Yamamuras has.

The above series are all international. The Universe series was made for the US markets with Sorasound as global distributor (the other models have international distributors, so if I wanted to buy an Ultimate it will be from the UK distro, but I can buy Universe from Sorasound). The 4D came later than Uni I and some said it was better, then came the Uni II and it was said to be much better than both, and then the Uni Premium at twice the price of the Uni II.

So the question is, how does 4D ultimate compare to Uni II and Uni Premium? If it's better than the Uni II, it will be a super bargain. And then, how does Ultimate Dynamic compare to the Uni Premium?

And does anyone have a preference for the Diamond over the carbon?

From what I gather, the Japanese dealer preferred the ultimate dynamic to the earlier universe II.....not sure how it compares to the universe premium. I will be surprised though if the ultimate dynamic matches the new universe premium - highly unlikely

I am told though that it's pointless spending on the ultimate diamond.....better off with the ultimate dynamic

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
From what I gather, the Japanese dealer preferred the ultimate dynamic to the earlier universe II.....not sure how it compares to the universe premium. I will be surprised though if the ultimate dynamic matches the new universe premium - highly unlikely

I am told though that it's pointless spending on the ultimate diamond.....better off with the ultimate dynamic

Looking at the Zyx web page, it looks like the Ultimate Dynamic is now their top cartridge, followed by the Ultimate Diamond. Possibly because the Ultimate Dynamic utilizes the CF cantilever?? Where do you see a new Universe Premium?...I was under the impression that this had been discontinued. My a'phile friend ( who listens to a lot of cartridges and owns a ton of them) told me that even the 4D Ultimate was superior in his opinion to his Universe Premium!! The CF cantilever apparently is a very major upgrade.
sujay, did you notice a loss of gain with the new Dynamic as compared to your LPS MR. The gain structure of the LPSMR is 0.35mv whereas the gain of the new Dynamic is supposed to be 0.24mv --a considerable difference. Although, as I said, Mehran told me that Zyx measures the output differently..resulting in lower numbers???

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
There is a perceptible loss of gain compared to the Benz but not as much as the numbers suggest. Which is why I mentioned I was surprised. I think the zyx ultimate dynamic outputs .15mv. As far as my knowledge goes, the zyx universe premium is still in production but only for the US mkt

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi, has your friend heard both in different systems, heard both next to each other, or is that his guess based on the cantilever

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
There is a perceptible loss of gain compared to the Benz but not as much as the numbers suggest. Which is why I mentioned I was surprised. I think the zyx ultimate dynamic outputs .15mv. As far as my knowledge goes, the zyx universe premium is still in production but only for the US mkt

Yup, the Dynamic is 0.15mv...even lower than I thought! How much did you have to turn up the gain on the preamp? 0.15mv output would disqualify that cartridge for me...as I am using a tube phono--and the noise would be unacceptable.

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Yup, the Dynamic is 0.15mv...even lower than I thought! How much did you have to turn up the gain on the preamp? 0.15mv output would disqualify that cartridge for me...as I am using a tube phono--and the noise would be unacceptable.

I am at 72 db currently. But I have played it at 66 db and it is fine. Actually, one of the things I noticed is how quiet the ultimate dynamic is. As I wrote earlier, considerably quieter than the Aventurin. Even I had misgivings about the low output level initially but the dealer was right....don't go by the low specs. It actually plays louder than the specs suggest.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
.15 mv is too low for the Io, in my opinion. I already was concerned about the .24 mv from the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

If the UNIverse Premium is no longer available then I will get an LP S-MR.

Has anyone compared an older LP S-MR or a NOS LP S-MR to a new production LP S-MR?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
.15 mv is too low for the Io, in my opinion. I already was concerned about the .24 mv from the ZYX UNIverse Premium.

Has anyone compared an older LP S-MR or a NOS LP S-MR to a new production LP S-MR?

Ron, I am under the impression that all of the LPS -MR's are of the exact same design. The upgrade path came from the LP to the LPS and then with the addition of the micro-ridge stylus- to the LPS-MR. Garth Leerer would be a good person to ask if there has been a change in the recent months, or whatever, since the line was "resurrected".
OTOH, the possibility that the new Zyx Omega Ultimate and the 4D Ultimate are a considerable step up over the LPS-MR in SQ is intriguing ( at least to me) as these may have similar outputs to the LPS-MR( in practice according to Mehran).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
One of the Benz Micro press releases refers to improvements in the LP S.

November 2014 press release: http://benzcartridges.com/benz-micro-update/

". . . advances in design and materials, have resulted in new Benz-Micro models that surpass all previous versions in music reproduction."

I just don't know what that means or how, if at all, these improvements make the new LP S different from the old LP S.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ron, I'm pretty sure what is being referenced is the addition of the micro ridge stylus. The prior model--LP-S did not have that stylus configuration. As can be seen in the update you referenced, all of the current models are now using a micro-ridge. I think the prior shape was an elliptical.
The other change that was added to the LP-S from the LP was an increase in the amount of metal in the body...resulting in a heavier cartridge. The body shape, weight and size of the LPS-MR is the same as the LP-S, but a lot heavier than the older LP. Nonetheless, the design is now a little long in the tooth, which is why it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the new Zyx's with the CF cantilever will show it off. My local Lyra dealer ( who happens to also stock the Benz LPS-MR) tells me that the Etna and the new Etna SL are in a different league as well. As they should be at a much higher price point!

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States

Again, you'll have better luck trying to figure out if there is a Russian Trump issue discovered by the Special prosecutor, than you will getting a straight story from the SoraSound web site. That web site is a disaster. I'm told the Uni Premium is indeed still available and is definitely their top of the line. Why is it available in the US only? No idea. Does the rest of the world really not want the top of the line ZYX? Are only American audiophiles deserving of this hallowed cartridge? Doesn't make any sense at all. Why isn't it mentioned on their web site except in one tiny testimonial but no specs are shown of any kind? It's not even listed in the models shown! Again, makes no sense. What is the desired coil configuration: copper, silver or gold? Who knows? Are any or all of these available? Uh, why don't you guess since there's no other reliable way to know.

And you know what the worst part is? The Uni Premium is a spectacularly good cartridge. But this shroud of disinformation and screwed up distribution nonsense is certainly not helping it achieve the commercial success it deserves.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Ron,

You miss a lot of very fine carts ignoring .15v LOMC class. If your hooked on the I/O, buy a second phonostage for the LOMC's. I enjoy having two distinct phonostages albeit I don't have two for low output reasons.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing