Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benz Micro LP S-MR

I have an LP-S MR which I have had now I would guess maybe 7 years. It's on a VPI ScoutMaster, and I absolutely love it. In the last few years I admit I have been playing less vinyl on it, and partly that's because of my having gotten heavily into reel tape, but partly it's because I am not sure what I would replace it with! I'm sure I must be closing in on 1,000 hours by now.

I know Soundsmith will re-tip these...but would that sound anything like the original? Anyone heard a SS retipped LP-S MR?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    I think the LP-S MR was well-regarded originally and is still appreciated today. I think some uncertainty was introduced by the ownership or management changes a few years ago at Benz Micro.

I had a Benz Ruby 2 for many years. I think that for people who do not care for the neutrality and detail-orientation of something like a Lyra the LP S-MR is a relative bargain.

With A.J.'s passing I have no idea who will be importing My Sonic Lab cartridges in the future.
    There may be a nice opportunity there for someone.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by jeffrey_t View Post
    Davey,
    In your list of cartridges, you listed the Air Tight Opus 7. Did you meant to say Air Tight PC-7? If so, I have one mounted to a SME 3012R and you are welcome to drive up to Long Beach and demo it. Cartridge swap out on the SME is very easy so you can bring a familiar cartridge to listen to as well.
    Hi Jeffrey,
    Thank you for the invite. I did indeed mean a Air Tight PC-7. I have actually heard one recently, and though it was in a very different set-up to mine, i was fairly impressed. How do you rate yours?

Ron, the new MSL Signature Platinum is supposed to be a 'world beater'. Problem is, I have never heard from anyone who has actually heard this beast.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Hi Jeffrey,
    Thank you for the invite. I did indeed mean a Air Tight PC-7. I have actually heard one recently, and though it was in a very different set-up to mine, i was fairly impressed. How do you rate yours?

Ron, the new MSL Signature Platinum is supposed to be a 'world beater'. Problem is, I have never heard from anyone who has actually heard this beast.
    This would not surprise me. I own the former MSL flagship, the Signature Gold, and prefer it to my AirTight Supreme, designed by the same man. The AirTight Opus is supposed to be considerably better than the Supreme, so I imagine the MSL Signature Platinum is better than my Sig Gold. Too bad they are so expensive.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiusman View Post
    I have owned an BM LPS MR for about a year and a half. I chose it when I bought a new VPI Prime and loved the combination with a Pass phono Stage in Spectral SV preamp and 300 RS amp into Vivid G3's and JL F-113's and a ton of MIT top of the line cable. I bought based on extensive listening to a Benz Ruby on Marty's Goldmund, ASI phono and a top end rig for the rest of the path, not to mention a superb room and tons of Marty OCD juice.

There is no doubt that the Ruby and LPS are sibs, with the LPS the much more refined and vital on all types of music--all types. I just remounted the LPS on an Aries D with a 12" 3D arm and the same complimentary gear.

If I was thrilled with the LPS previously with a 10.5" 3D arm, I am totally excited by it set in the Aries with a 12" 3D arm. The only thing that I can say that begins to do it justice is that my system goes away and I am "there" right in the middle of the choir or orchestra. I love it. I thought about replacing it with an Anna, but although I have not heard it in my system although I did hear it in a much better system than mine, it is just too polite for me and thus not as realistic as the LPS.
    I have a LPS as well. Unfortunately, its been sitting in a drawer for a year. It does look lovely in its box however! Why am I not using it? First, I've been scared of replacing my Ruby 2 which sounds so damned good that I'm afraid I won't get to that sonic level again without some serious set-up time and break-in. Second, I've had some other projects that have moved the LPS installation to the back burner. I'll get there eventually, but that Ruby has no major flaws and is so incredibly musical I could certainly live with it forever.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! jazdoc's Avatar
    I have used a Benz LPS as my primary stereo cartridge for 3+ years. For baseball fans I use the following analogy, the Benz is the Garrett Anderson of high end cartridges. Very good, all-star level, consistent performer, just quite not a hall of famer. Not quite the refinement of the Anna, not quite the beauty of the Goldfinger, etc.
    Trying is the first step to failure. -- H. Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by jazdoc View Post
    I have used a Benz LPS as my primary stereo cartridge for 3+ years. For baseball fans I use the following analogy, the Benz is the Garrett Anderson of high end cartridges. Very good, all-star level, consistent performer, just quite not a hall of famer. Not quite the refinement of the Anna, not quite the beauty of the Goldfinger, etc.
    Jazdoc, interesting analogy. How do you think the Benz would compare with the likes of a Lyra--given the same analogy?

Quote Originally Posted by marty View Post
    I have a LPS as well. Unfortunately, its been sitting in a drawer for a year. It does look lovely in its box however! Why am I not using it? First, I've been scared of replacing my Ruby 2 which sounds so damned good that I'm afraid I won't get to that sonic level again without some serious set-up time and break-in. Second, I've had some other projects that have moved the LPS installation to the back burner. I'll get there eventually, but that Ruby has no major flaws and is so incredibly musical I could certainly live with it forever.
    Marty, we have the same concerns....the darn Benz Ruby 2 is so good that it concerns me that others will not be up to the task. Doing an 'AB' between cartridges is pretty much impossible. Will the LPS MR be a step-up from the Ruby 2??? Should be, in theory...but like so many things in this hobby, theory can go out of the window rapidly, IME.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! jazdoc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Jazdoc, interesting analogy. How do you think the Benz would compare with the likes of a Lyra--given the same analogy?
    Haven't heard the Atlas in a familiar system to draw a conclusion.
    Trying is the first step to failure. -- H. Simpson

Member Sponsor [WBF Founding Member] Mike Lavigne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jazdoc View Post
    Garrett Anderson was HOF when he played Seattle.

I love the LPS in your system.....
    Wave Kinetics NVS tt, (2) Durand Telos (1-Sapphire) arms, CA Gold Stat, Ort Anna carts, -2- Studer A-820 RTR (1/4" + 1/2").*Aqua Form dac, La Diva CD, SGM serv (2x) 30 tb NAS. *darTZeel NHB-18NS w/2 phonos, King-Cello. *dart NHB-458 mono blocks. EA MM7. *Equi=tech 10WQ, (10) Abso Fid PC & (2) Evo Acou PC. *Evo Acou 12' TRSC and 8m + 1.25m 'zeel' ic's, Tara Labs GME w/HRX 2m RCA's. *Tripoint Troy Sig, Entreq Sil Tellus + Poseidon, *Herzan TS-140 & TS-150, Wave Kinetics A10 U8's + 2NS, Adona GTX.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast