Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Benz Micro LP S-MR

Quote Originally Posted by DaveyF View Post
    Ron, I spoke to Garth Leerer ( The US importer) at Newport about the Benz line and the LP S- MR in particular. He told me that the cartridge was very much available again and that Lukaschek was now only making a few models. Garth said the factory would not produce a large line-up as they had done in the past. Only...if I remember him correctly---the Benz LP S-MR, The Benz Ruby Z , The Benz Ebony. I do not believe he said they were making any lower end cartridges or any metal bodied models. You could always check with Garth.
    This statement makes sense to me...
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Wood MPX Reference Microcontroller, SME M2-12, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Digital: Rega Apollo, Chord 2 Qute
    Amp: Roksan Caspian M2 + DX-2 Ref Phono
    Speaker Kef-LS 50
    Cables: all MIT Magnum M3, M1 Phono, Magnum AC1

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    That report make sense to me too, Dave. Thank you very much. Your report also is consistent with the Benz Micro press releases.

But one of those press releases refers to improvements in the LP S.Since I don't know anyone who has a new production LP S we just do not know what that means or how it sounds any different from the old LP S.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Resnick View Post
    My overall favorite cartridge is the Benz Micro LP S-MR. I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR, and whether the new cartridges are identical to the old LP S-MR cartridges.

In your experience, having heard the LP S-MR, which Koetsu cartridge, whether wood body or stone body, do you think most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

Do you think there is any cartridge other than a Koetsu which most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?
    I have owned an BM LPS MR for about a year and a half. I chose it when I bought a new VPI Prime and loved the combination with a Pass phono Stage in Spectral SV preamp and 300 RS amp into Vivid G3's and JL F-113's and a ton of MIT top of the line cable. I bought based on extensive listening to a Benz Ruby on Marty's Goldmund, ASI phono and a top end rig for the rest of the path, not to mention a superb room and tons of Marty OCD juice.

There is no doubt that the Ruby and LPS are sibs, with the LPS the much more refined and vital on all types of music--all types. I just remounted the LPS on an Aries D with a 12" 3D arm and the same complimentary gear.

If I was thrilled with the LPS previously with a 10.5" 3D arm, I am totally excited by it set in the Aries with a 12" 3D arm. The only thing that I can say that begins to do it justice is that my system goes away and I am "there" right in the middle of the choir or orchestra. I love it. I thought about replacing it with an Anna, but although I have not heard it in my system although I did hear it in a much better system than mine, it is just too polite for me and thus not as realistic as the LPS.
    Last edited by Mobiusman; 01-03-2017 at 09:34 AM.
    Russ The Mobiusman

Quote Originally Posted by Mobiusman View Post
    I have owned an BM LPS MR for about a year and a half. I chose it when I bought a new VPI Prime and loved the combination with a Pass phono Stage in Spectral SV preamp and 300 RS amp into Vivid G3's and Jk F-113's and a ton of MIT top of the line cable. I bought based on extensive listening to a Benz Ruby on Marty's Goldmund, ASI phono and a top end rig for the rest of the path, not to mention a superb room and tons of Marty OCD juice.

There is no doubt that the Ruby and LPS are sibs, with the LPS the much more refined and vital on all types of music--all types. I just remounted the LPS on an Aries D with a 12" 3D arm and the same complimentary gear.

If I was thrilled with the LPS previously with a 10.5" 3D arm, I am totally excited by it set in the Aries with a 12" 3D arm. The only thing that I can say that begins to do it justice is that my system goes away and I am "there" right in the middle of the choir or orchestra. I love it. I thought about replacing it with an Anna, but although I have not heard it in my system although I did hear it in a much better system than mine, it is just too polite for me and thus not as realistic as the LPS.
    Russ, I suspect that there are a number of excellent pieces of gear that tend to get a 'bad rap' or are less appreciated simply due to their age. The Benz LPS MR ( as is the Ruby) is, IMO, one of those pieces. Compared to some of the more recent offerings...such as the Anna and a few others, I believe the older Benz designs can still hold their own. ( assuming you are searching for great sound and not just the latest reviewer's darling). Personally, I am still in the cartridge hunting mode, ( specially difficult as a) i cannot audition various models and b) I do not want to go backwards in SQ from my current ( old in the tooth unfortunately and possibly a little dried out) Benz Ruby 2.) The Benz LPS MR is still very high on my list...along with a couple of other contenders...1) Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru 2) Air Tight Opus 7( possibly a steal at its price), 3) Benz Ruby Z, 4) ZYX Universe 11, 5) Lyra Kleos or Etna ( if funds allow) and lastly....the unknown but supposedly "uber" cartridge.....the MSL Signature Platinum.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Russ, I suspect that there are a number of excellent pieces of gear that tend to get a 'bad rap' or are less appreciated simply due to their age. The Benz LPS MR ( as is the Ruby) is, IMO, one of those pieces. Compared to some of the more recent offerings...such as the Anna and a few others, I believe the older Benz designs can still hold their own. ( assuming you are searching for great sound and not just the latest reviewer's darling). Personally, I am still in the cartridge hunting mode, ( specially difficult as a) i cannot audition various models and b) I do not want to go backwards in SQ from my current ( old in the tooth unfortunately and possibly a little dried out) Benz Ruby 2.) The Benz LPS MR is still very high on my list...along with a couple of other contenders...1) Koetsu Urushi Tsugaru 2) Air Tight Opus 7( possibly a steal at its price), 3) Benz Ruby Z, 4) ZYX Universe 11, 5) Lyra Kleos or Etna ( if funds allow) and lastly....the unknown but supposedly "uber" cartridge.....the MSL Signature Platinum.
    Just my take, I like the Lyra Etna/Atlas and the Zyx Uni II. They will be very different from Koetsu and Benz in terms of neutrality and upper frequencies. Lyra is normally associated with high detail, but Audiophile Bill's Kleos on Triplanar/Kuzma Stabi does not do detail well, and he reckons it is because Kleos is much lower than Etna, to which he is thinking of upgrading.

And recently on the Caeles TT with a Thomas Schick arm and a SET+horn system, the Ortofon SPU a85 anniversary did much better than clearaudio innovation and benz ruby, both the owner and I preferred it much more.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Just my take, I like the Lyra Etna/Atlas and the Zyx Uni II. They will be very different from Koetsu and Benz in terms of neutrality and upper frequencies. Lyra is normally associated with high detail, but Audiophile Bill's Kleos on Triplanar/Kuzma Stabi does not do detail well, and he reckons it is because Kleos is much lower than Etna, to which he is thinking of upgrading.

And recently on the Caeles TT with a Thomas Schick arm and a SET+horn system, the Ortofon SPU a85 anniversary did much better than clearaudio innovation and benz ruby, both the owner and I preferred it much more.
    Hey Bonzo,

Happy New Year!

My understanding is the Schick prefers low compliance carts (I only know of people using them with SPU's and 103's, etc), so I wouldn't have thought it would be an obvious partner for the Benz which falls into the medium range. Do you know of anyone else using the Schick with medium compliance carts? Just curious.
    Martins, Edgar. Aluminium Honeycomb Assembly, M&C Laboratory, ESTEC/ESA. Taken from the "Rehearsal of Space" series (2014 - )

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Quote Originally Posted by 853guy View Post
    Hey Bonzo,

Happy New Year!

My understanding is the Schick prefers low compliance carts (I only know of people using them with SPU's and 103's, etc), so I wouldn't have thought it would be an obvious partner for the Benz which falls into the medium range. Do you know of anyone else using the Schick with medium compliance carts? Just curious.
    Thanks. I was not sure, so mentioned the arm. I know Schick is used a lot with SPUs. Also these SPU anniversary's seem popular on SET+horn systems.

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Thanks. I was not sure, so mentioned the arm. I know Schick is used a lot with SPUs. Also these SPU anniversary's seem popular on SET+horn systems.
    Ok, cool. Schick does suggest any cart up to 22Ám/mN can be used, but I don't know of anyone in practice who does so, and I can think of a whole lot of other arms that'd likely work better on a Benz (or any medium-high compliance cart for that matter).

Just to add another data point, I have a friend who imports the Schick and the EMT 997. He's using the 997 now (modded by Keith Aschenbrenner from Auditorium 23), though mostly because his 301 Lignolab plinth has room for only one arm and has more EMT carts than SPU's.

Back to the topic at hand.
    Martins, Edgar. Aluminium Honeycomb Assembly, M&C Laboratory, ESTEC/ESA. Taken from the "Rehearsal of Space" series (2014 - )

Davey,
    In your list of cartridges, you listed the Air Tight Opus 7. Did you meant to say Air Tight PC-7? If so, I have one mounted to a SME 3012R and you are welcome to drive up to Long Beach and demo it. Cartridge swap out on the SME is very easy so you can bring a familiar cartridge to listen to as well.
    Last edited by jeffrey_t; 01-03-2017 at 07:04 AM.

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar
    Russ, I suspect that there are a number of excellent pieces of gear that tend to get a 'bad rap' or are less appreciated simply due to their age. The Benz LPS MR ( as is the Ruby) is, IMO, one of those pieces. Compared to some of the more recent offerings...such as the Anna and a few others, I believe the older Benz designs can still hold their own.

...the unknown but supposedly "uber" cartridge.....the MSL Signature Platinum.
    I think the LP-S MR was well-regarded originally and is still appreciated today. I think some uncertainty was introduced by the ownership or management changes a few years ago at Benz Micro.

I had a Benz Ruby 2 for many years. I think that for people who do not care for the neutrality and detail-orientation of something like a Lyra the LP S-MR is a relative bargain.

With A.J.'s passing I have no idea who will be importing My Sonic Lab cartridges in the future.
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast