Benz Micro LP S

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron, I'm pretty sure what is being referenced is the addition of the micro ridge stylus. The prior model--LP-S did not have that stylus configuration. As can be seen in the update you referenced, all of the current models are now using a micro-ridge. I think the prior shape was an elliptical.
The other change that was added to the LP-S from the LP was an increase in the amount of metal in the body...resulting in a heavier cartridge. The body shape, weight and size of the LPS-MR is the same as the LP-S, but a lot heavier than the older LP. Nonetheless, the design is now a little long in the tooth, which is why it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the new Zyx's with the CF cantilever will show it off. My local Lyra dealer ( who happens to also stock the Benz LPS-MR) tells me that the Etna and the new Etna SL are in a different league as well. As they should be at a much higher price point!

I am reading the press release differently. I think it indicates that the LP S-MR was one of the pre-existing models.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Again, you'll have better luck trying to figure out if there is a Russian Trump issue discovered by the Special prosecutor, than you will getting a straight story from the SoraSound web site. That web site is a disaster. I'm told the Uni Premium is indeed still available and is definitely their top of the line. Why is it available in the US only? No idea. Does the rest of the world really not want the top of the line ZYX? Are only American audiophiles deserving of this hallowed cartridge? Doesn't make any sense at all. Why isn't it mentioned on their web site except in one tiny testimonial but no specs are shown of any kind? It's not even listed in the models shown! Again, makes no sense. What is the desired coil configuration: copper, silver or gold? Who knows? Are any or all of these available? Uh, why don't you guess since there's no other reliable way to know.

And you know what the worst part is? The Uni Premium is a spectacularly good cartridge. But this shroud of disinformation and screwed up distribution nonsense is certainly not helping it achieve the commercial success it deserves.

Well-put Marty. I agree on all counts.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Ron,

You miss a lot of very fine carts ignoring .15v LOMC class. If your hooked on the I/O, buy a second phonostage for the LOMC's. I enjoy having two distinct phonostages albeit I don't have two for low output reasons.

I hear you, Christian. :)

I love the Io, so for me it is a keeper. I just don't have the mindset to want to switch between components (except, for some reason, for tape decks . . . perhaps someday).

I am very content to being limited (by both my sonic taste as well as Io noise concerns) among the LP S-MR, ZYX UNI Premium, Air Tight Opus and Koetsu Coralstone.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I am reading the press release differently. I think it indicates that the LP S-MR was one of the pre-existing models.

Ron, I believe that the LPS-MR is still the top of the line Benz cartridge...and nothing has changed since the micro-ridge revision of a few years back. AFAIAW, there is no difference between the current LPS-MR and one of a few years back. That is because the main revisions to this design incorporated a slightly heavier body and the current stylus shape. If that is not true, I have no idea why Garth wouldn't have alerted me to this fact when I was discussing the cartridge with him last year. While it is true that Benz is now not manufacturing the lesser cartridges that they had before with Lukaschek, the current line-up is still LPS-MR, Benz Ruby Z and then Glider SLR-in that order. The Ruby Z is the latest version of the Ruby with the 'micro-ridge"stylus. Same motor as before and same basic body weight, although now I believe it is Zebra wood ( accounting for the term "Z") and not the older wood ( maybe breuer??) for the body.
As to the Zyx, my friend seemed to believe that the new range is such an upgrade over the old, that the prior top-of-line Universe Premium would not be that competitive anymore...which says a heck of a lot for the new CF cantilevers, IMO!
Marty, agree with you--the web page is not great at all...BUT would seem to show the current line-up; along with all of the other ancillary pieces available.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ron,

You miss a lot of very fine carts ignoring .15v LOMC class. If your hooked on the I/O, buy a second phonostage for the LOMC's. I enjoy having two distinct phonostages albeit I don't have two for low output reasons.

Which are your choice carts in this 0.15vish range btw?

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Ron, I'm pretty sure what is being referenced is the addition of the micro ridge stylus. The prior model--LP-S did not have that stylus configuration. As can be seen in the update you referenced, all of the current models are now using a micro-ridge. I think the prior shape was an elliptical.
The other change that was added to the LP-S from the LP was an increase in the amount of metal in the body...resulting in a heavier cartridge. The body shape, weight and size of the LPS-MR is the same as the LP-S, but a lot heavier than the older LP.

Also to my knowledge the two big evolutionary steps in Benz' top-of-the-line cartridge were first the introduction of the brass frame, moving the original LP to the LP-S designation. And then afterwards the change from the Gyger-S stylus to the Micro Ridge.

Although word has it that this later change, as hugely positive as it was in regard to the improvement of the LP-S's sound performance, was to no small amount introduced due to issues with the Gyger styli as such.

I must admit that this is now just spreading rumours but it might still be telling us something that in the local Swiss press the Fritz Gyger AG has mentioned in interviews only last month that they are currently (!) revising the machinery that is polishing the styli because they see an increase in demand again making it finally worthwhile to invest the money. That is a comment that comes from a company that for quite a while already is really making its money with the production of highly specialized microvalves.

Nonetheless, the design is now a little long in the tooth, which is why it wouldn't surprise me a bit if the new Zyx's with the CF cantilever will show it off. My local Lyra dealer ( who happens to also stock the Benz LPS-MR) tells me that the Etna and the new Etna SL are in a different league as well. As they should be at a much higher price point!

Could you maybe elaborate a bit on where exactly the innovation in the current ZYX line-up lies? I'm hesitant to see this just in a carbon cantilever, which has already been around for decades and can be found in such humble cartridges like the Tonar/Nagaoka JT-555. A cantilever type which incidentally, quite surprisingly, has been introduced by ZYX just in the very moment when there was a general global shortage in boron cantilevers, a shortage which led other manufactureres to switch to e.g. sapphire (white corundum) or ruby (red corundum) as available alternatives to boron.

Don't get me wrong, I'm absolutely sure that ZYX makes great cartridges and that they know how to fine tune them to get the most out of them, justifying a new range of models. I'm just struggeling to see the large evolution or innovation in them when compared to a design like that of the LP-S. Innovation ist something which I personally would be more inclined to see in designs like the A95, Colibri or Atlas.

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Ron, I believe that the LPS-MR is still the top of the line Benz cartridge...and nothing has changed since the micro-ridge revision of a few years back. AFAIAW, there is no difference between the current LPS-MR and one of a few years back. That is because the main revisions to this design incorporated a slightly heavier body and the current stylus shape. If that is not true, I have no idea why Garth wouldn't have alerted me to this fact when I was discussing the cartridge with him last year. While it is true that Benz is now not manufacturing the lesser cartridges that they had before with Lukaschek, the current line-up is still LPS-MR, Benz Ruby Z and then Glider SLR-in that order. The Ruby Z is the latest version of the Ruby with the 'micro-ridge"stylus. Same motor as before and same basic body weight, although now I believe it is Zebra wood ( accounting for the term "Z") and not the older wood ( maybe breuer??) for the body.
As to the Zyx, my friend seemed to believe that the new range is such an upgrade over the old, that the prior top-of-line Universe Premium would not be that competitive anymore...which says a heck of a lot for the new CF cantilevers, IMO!
Marty, agree with you--the web page is not great at all...BUT would seem to show the current line-up; along with all of the other ancillary pieces available.

The current line-up of Benz cartridges can be found on their Website:

http://benzcartridges.com/products/

Looking at the press releases in the News section on the site it seems that they had to stop production of smaller models mainly due to labour shortage in Switzerland in 2014 but are now fully up to their - albeit overhauled - full model range again. To me the major difference seems to be the ceasing of the rebuilding of older model cartridges in favour of a new trade-in program to the current line-up.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I hear you, Christian. :)

I love the Io, so for me it is a keeper. I just don't have the mindset to want to switch between components (except, for some reason, for tape decks . . . perhaps someday).

I am very content to being limited (by both my sonic taste as well as Io noise concerns) among the LP S-MR, ZYX UNI Premium, Air Tight Opus and Koetsu Coralstone.

At your budget you really need to hear what Mike's Durand/GFS does

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Also why not use a SUT?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Kondo SUT and the 1:30 custom by Silvercore would do that voltage nicely

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Again, you'll have better luck trying to figure out if there is a Russian Trump issue discovered by the Special prosecutor, than you will getting a straight story from the SoraSound web site. That web site is a disaster. I'm told the Uni Premium is indeed still available and is definitely their top of the line. Why is it available in the US only? No idea. Does the rest of the world really not want the top of the line ZYX? Are only American audiophiles deserving of this hallowed cartridge? Doesn't make any sense at all. Why isn't it mentioned on their web site except in one tiny testimonial but no specs are shown of any kind? It's not even listed in the models shown! Again, makes no sense. What is the desired coil configuration: copper, silver or gold? Who knows? Are any or all of these available? Uh, why don't you guess since there's no other reliable way to know.

And you know what the worst part is? The Uni Premium is a spectacularly good cartridge. But this shroud of disinformation and screwed up distribution nonsense is certainly not helping it achieve the commercial success it deserves.

The Uni Premium has always been exclusive to Sora Sound Marty, he buys satisfactory numbers of this model to retain exclusivity. It's not unusual we used to have similar arrangements with our distributors and suppliers. As to which coil material is preferable always comes down to personal choice, no different than picking cables with different conductors. Best way to know is to pick a less expensive ZYX offering and try all 3 types and then you'll experience the various qualities of each coil type first hand. It's not money wasted as they offer genuine differences in a transparent system.

david

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Mehran from Sorasound is a member here. I spoke to him a few days ago about my ZYX, He is the licensed distributor for the ZYX UNIverse in North America but is also allowed to sell them globally. The ZYX Premium is still the TOL cartridge in their stable

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Which are your choice carts in this 0.15vish range btw?

When I responded to Ron..I forgot Koetsu stone bodies are .25mv. For some reason I thought they were .15mV. With that said, I only have two: Lyra Olympos SL .15mV Mono , Ikeda 9TT mono .16mV.

Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
The Uni Premium has always been exclusive to Sora Sound Marty, he buys satisfactory numbers of this model to retain exclusivity. It's not unusual we used to have similar arrangements with our distributors and suppliers. As to which coil material is preferable always comes down to personal choice, no different than picking cables with different conductors. Best way to know is to pick a less expensive ZYX offering and try all 3 types and then you'll experience the various qualities of each coil type first hand. It's not money wasted as they offer genuine differences in a transparent system.

david

Thanks David, but still it raises questions, particularly regarding the "low profile" (that is an understatement!) that the Universe Premium is accorded on the SoraSound website. I still think it remains confusing as to what the TOL model of ZYX cartridge is and if the Universe Premium is indeed it, its all but impossible to discern that from the website.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks David, but still it raises questions, particularly regarding the "low profile" (that is an understatement!) that the Universe Premium is accorded on the SoraSound website. I still think it remains confusing as to what the TOL model of ZYX cartridge is and if the Universe Premium is indeed it, its all but impossible to discern that from the website.

I understand the confusion Marty, I can't figure out the differences or the qualities of any of their cartridges from their website either or why one Universe comes with a ball attached and the top model doesn't, or how these top models differ from one another. All I can say is that I liked all the 4 or 5 various ZYX cartridges I owned over the years and the UNI Premium when set up correctly is one of the finest cartridges I owned.

david

jackelsson

Dec 1, 2013
.de
Finally received the Benz LP-S the other day. So far it has only run just over six hours so it's still far from being broken in. Still, what it already does now puts a smile on my face.

IMG_7102_Benz-LP-S-MR_1000px.jpg

Reactions: No Regrets

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Congratulations! I like the LP S-MR too!

(I wish I/we/someone could compare directly the LP S-MR to the ZYX UNIverse Premium (with copper winding) and to the Air Tight Opus. This is yet another one of the fascinating high-end comparisons which likely is destined never to happen.)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Congratulations! I like the LP S-MR too!

(I wish I/we/someone could compare directly the LP S-MR to the ZYX UNIverse Premium (with copper winding) and to the Air Tight Opus. This is yet another one of the fascinating high-end comparisons which likely is destined never to happen.)

well we did to the Zyx Airy 4d and it did not match up

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
What did not match up?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
What did not match up?

Apparently bonzo75 preferred the Airy 4d to the LPS MR. This was with the older model, the newer model 4D with the CF cantilever is supposedly far more resolving still!! The new Ultimate Omega is apparently a step-up over the new 4D...and according to my friend it's one of the best cartridges he has ever heard! ( which is saying a lot as he owns stone bodied Koetsu's and the Univ Premium!) Now if only these darn things ( Zyx's) would have some guts as far as their output is concerned. This is the only thing that is holding me back from pulling the trigger right now.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing