Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Benz Micro LP S-MR

Site Founder And Administrator Ron Resnick's Avatar

Benz Micro LP S-MR

My overall favorite cartridge is the Benz Micro LP S-MR. I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR, and whether the new cartridges are identical to the old LP S-MR cartridges.

In your experience, having heard the LP S-MR, which Koetsu cartridge, whether wood body or stone body, do you think most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

Do you think there is any cartridge other than a Koetsu which most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?
    Mono and Stereo - Senior Contributing Reviewer

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    tape: Studer A820 Mk II
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    speakers: Gryphon Pendragons (ordered)
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Quote Originally Posted by RonR View Post
    My overall favorite cartridge is the Benz Micro LP S-MR. I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR, and whether the new cartridges are identical to the old LP S-MR cartridges.

In your experience, having heard the LP S-MR, which Koetsu cartridge, whether wood body or stone body, do you think most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?

Do you think there is any cartridge other than a Koetsu which most closely replicates the sonic characteristics of the LP S-MR?
    I have not heard either the Benz or any Koetsu in my system. I do have a friend nearby who owns an LP S-MR and a fairly new AirTight Supreme that I sold him a year ago. He is in the process of putting together a refurbished Technics SP10 MK3, SME V-12 arm and these two cartridges. I will encourage him to finish the project and do a cartridge comparison though it will not answer your questions about a Koetsu.

I think Albert Porter has compared the Coralstone to his Supreme on his similar system to my friend's and he may be familiar with the Benz. You could try to contact him or PM me for his email.
    My system link on WBF: http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...-Sublime-Sound
    Analog: SME 30/12, SME V-12, My Sonic Labs Signature Gold, AirTight Supreme, VDH Colibri Platinum, MINT LP protractor
    Electronics: Pass Labs XA160.5 amp, XP-20 preamp, XP-25 phono, Cables: Transparent REF XL MM2,
    Speakers: Magico Mini II, Essentials: Jim Smith RoomPlay, 3 Vibraplanes, Dedicated circuits

Member Sponsor Senior Member Marcus's Avatar
    I am sceptical about exactly who is making the current production LP S-MR...
    Why Ron? As far as I know they are still produced in Neuhausen...Do you have other infos?
    Source: Kuzma XL DC, Kuzma 4Point 14 inch, Benz Micro LP-S MR; Phono: Zanden 1200 Mk3; Tuner: Magnum Dynalab MD-108T Signature; Line Stage: conrad-johnson GAT S2; Power amp: conrad-johnson ART; Speakers: Avalon Time; Grounding: Tripoint Troy Signature & Thor SE; Interconnects: Cardas Clear Beyond & Clear Rev1; Speaker cables: Cardas Clear Beyond; Power cords: Cardas Clear Beyond; Stands: Finite Elemente Master Reference & Master Reference Heavy Duty;Acoustics treatment: Svanå Miljöteknik (SMT);

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    Why Ron? As far as I know they are still produced in Neuhausen...Do you have other infos?
    To stop Mr Lukaschek from making his Benz Cartridges you will have to prise them out of the hands of his cold dead body...

http://www.tagesanzeiger.ch/wirtscha...story/21618757
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Wood MPX Reference Microcontroller, SME M2-12, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Digital: Rega Apollo, Chord 2 Qute
    Amp: Roksan Caspian M2 + DX-2 Ref Phono
    Speaker Kef-LS 50
    Cables: all MIT Magnum M3, M1 Phono, Magnum AC1

Addicted to Best!

Hi Ron ,

The cartridge that can replicate the sonic characteristic of the LP S -MR is the Benz Micro Gullwing SLR. It's a Benz LP S w/ o the Wood body of the LP S . It's bass is not as powerful as the LP S but the Midrange is similar w/ less body but w/ a more extended high's . It's $2000 cheaper than the LP S .

Tdh888

Ron, I too am interested in the answer to your OP. Like you, I also use and very much like the Ruby 2; and like you, I also think the LPS MR is a superb cartridge. However, I think that the answer to your OP is probably very difficult, The reason being that the sound of a cartridge has a great deal to do with the arm/table it is mounted on and the upstream phono stage. With that said, I have heard several other cartridges that might be of consideration...and that I would consider in my system. These same cartridges may not be considered in your system. What are you using as a front end? What kind of music do you typically prefer listening to? What is your room going to sound like? Many variables here before a cartridge should be sought out, IMO. Best, as always, is to listen for oneself ( yes, i know that is very difficult with a cartridge/arm/table combo) in your own system. Failing that, a new LPS MR would be on my short list...and little else.

Peter, Thank you letting us know about your friend. A direct comparison of the LP S-MR to the Air Tight would be extremely interesting!

turntable: Thorens Reference (to come); tonearm: SME 3012R (to come); cartridge: ZYX Universe Premium X-SB2 (to come)
    preamp: Aesthetix Io Eclipse with 2 power supplies (ordered); amplifier: VTL MB-750s
    cables: MasterBuilt (not yet ordered); power: Benjamin Electric subpanel; JPS in-wall wire; Furutech NCF outlets; room: 20' wide X 25' long X 14' tall; treatment: ASC Tube Traps and Tower Slims; tweaks: Shakti Stones

Exactly, Billy. Musical Surroundings says that the LP S-MR is back in production but, other than two somewhat cryptic and confusing press releases from Benz Micro declaring that the company is alive and well and touting an improved LP S-MR, it is by no means clear who is actually making the cartridges these days, and in what ways, if any, the LP S-MR has changed.

Exactly, Billy. Musical Surroundings says that the LP S-MR is back in production but, other than two somewhat cryptic and confusing press releases from Benz Micro declaring that the company is alive and well and touting an improved LP S-MR, it is by no means clear who is actually making the cartridges these days, and in what ways, if any, the LP S-MR has changed.
    Ron if you want the absolute low down on Benz: I live in Switzerland and my boss is good friends with Mr Lukaschek. What i am about to tell you is no real secret as the Article i posted gives you a good impression of the "company": No cartridge will leave the company without going through his hands. I am not going to use the words "one man show" but it goes in that direction. Ask Musical surroundings what the longest is they have had to wait for a Order..... I know he is a Perfectionist and that is a good thing but he should have expanded the company years ago to meet the demand such a reputation brings with it.
    Last edited by Billy Shears; 09-25-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    Analog: Acoustic Solid Wood MPX Reference Microcontroller, SME M2-12, Ortofon Cadenza Bronze
    Digital: Rega Apollo, Chord 2 Qute
    Amp: Roksan Caspian M2 + DX-2 Ref Phono
    Speaker Kef-LS 50
    Cables: all MIT Magnum M3, M1 Phono, Magnum AC1

Ron, I spoke to Garth Leerer ( The US importer) at Newport about the Benz line and the LP S- MR in particular. He told me that the cartridge was very much available again and that Lukaschek was now only making a few models. Garth said the factory would not produce a large line-up as they had done in the past. Only...if I remember him correctly---the Benz LP S-MR, The Benz Ruby Z , The Benz Ebony. I do not believe he said they were making any lower end cartridges or any metal bodied models. You could always check with Garth.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast