hORNS Universum 3 MKII

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Thank you Shakti for very interesting installation report with pictures.
Congratulations on your color selection of the horn, it’s a perfect harmony with your room, very cosy.

As I understand you compared AG to Universum before your final order- could you pls share your thoughts?

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012
Congratulations on your purchase. I've followed these horns closely since their introduction but have yet to hear them in the USA.

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
Very interesting colour combination shakti ;) That must have been a Porsche Exclusive Boxster....
How are they sounding now ?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
not too much to say at the moment, as the most components, the Universum III is changing their character during the burn in period, so I have to wait for the final set up. In the mean time a pair of subwooferamps arrived, so I can change between three methods to amplify the Universum III:

- direct in BiWiring (Bass in my room like 2to 3db missing)
- Horns adjustable connection box (currently running a separate burn in program)
- BiAmping with dedicated and adjustable subwooferamps

Final decision will take some time, until than I just enjoy listing to music with the speakers, which is already great.

IMG_7161.jpg

IMG_7163.jpg

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
some month have passed by and I had many listening hours with the Horns Universum III.
To understand the needs of the UniIII, I tried as well the great VTL S- 400 amplifier ( the stereo version of the well known VTL Siegfried)
The VTL ha a very low damping factor (<5), compared to the >100 of the CAT Convergent Statement.

After some listening hours, I decided, that the VTL is a better match for the Uni III, on other speakers I like the CAT Statement much more, but on UNI III the VTL sounds more natural, so I listened many weeks with the VTL.

Both, VTL and CAT do have not too much information available in the web, but combining them all means, that the CAT has something like 30 to 31 dB gain and the VTL has between 24 and 26 dB gain (depending on Tetrode or Triode mode).

The Uni III has 5 to 6 dB efficiency difference between the Horn and the Bass section.
So in principle a real BiAmping configuration would be possible.

So I connected the CAT Statement monos to the Bass Section and the VTL S-400 (triode mode) to the Horns section of the UNI III
And to my surprise ii is working!, all the benefits of a BiAmping configuration is audible.

I will give this configuration a chance for some hours, than I will go back to the VTL -S400 as single amp to compare.

But at the moment I like the BiAmping configuration a lot!

IMG_7706.jpg

IMG_7708.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Nice. Did you try any SETs on this yet?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
yes, I tried the NAT Transmitter. Great Amps, but not in the league of the CAT Statement (which is 6 times of the Transmitter retail price).

I am sure, that there will be better matching amps out there, but the random luck to have two amps onside with 5 to 6db gain difference is great.

Would love to hear Air Tight or Kondo with the UNI III, as this Japanese amps do have adjustable Vol integrated.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
yes, I tried the NAT Transmitter. Great Amps, but not in the league of the CAT Statement (which is 6 times of the Transmitter retail price).

I am sure, that there will be better matching amps out there, but the random luck to have two amps onside with 5 to 6db gain difference is great.

Would love to hear Air Tight or Kondo with the UNI III, as this Japanese amps do have adjustable Vol integrated.

Interesting, we found the NAT SE2SE monos (with 211 tubes) to better the CAT JL2 Signature...not sure how that compares to your monos though.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland

If you want to hear an Aries Cerat on them, just drop me a mail and let me know.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Interesting, we found the NAT SE2SE monos (with 211 tubes) to better the CAT JL2 Signature...not sure how that compares to your monos though.

I think the EL84 style amps that the designer had on the universum sound excellent. They are lower powered and very liquid and fast, great mids. Bass can be a bit low for Shakti type rooms. Nats and 211s may be a bit forward for these though of course each 211 amp implementation differs. As do the valves. The presentation I prefer on these speakers, apart from the usual tone liquidity flow thing, is I prefer these more backward layered and side ways, relaxed, rather than forward or aggressive.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I think the EL84 style amps that the designer had on the universum sound excellent. They are lower powered and very liquid and fast, great mids. Bass can be a bit low for Shakti type rooms. Nats and 211s may be a bit forward for these though of course each 211 amp implementation differs. As do the valves. The presentation I prefer on these speakers, apart from the usual tone liquidity flow thing, is I prefer these more backward layered and side ways, relaxed, rather than forward or aggressive.

Forward and aggressive is often a bad thing in an amplifier...usually a sign something isn't quite right in the highs.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Forward and aggressive is often a bad thing in an amplifier...usually a sign something isn't quite right in the highs.

I intended to say some amps might sound too powerful and aggressive for this speaker while they will not for other speakers

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Nice thread. I love the finish on your speakers, Shakti.

I also really like the wood block diffuser on your wall.
May i ask where you sourced it?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
It's the GIK Gotham Quadratic diffusers if I'm not mistaken.
I'm going to be investigating those in my room in the near future.

infinitely baffled

VIP/Donor
Jul 2, 2015
Scotland
Very nice.
I wonder if it'd bring any benefit attached to my ceiling. I have windows behind my speakers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Shakti, and initial comparisons to be made w yr Zingalis?

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany

shakti

May 9, 2015
Cologne, Germany
Very nice.
I wonder if it'd bring any benefit attached to my ceiling. I have windows behind my speakers

My rear wall is not parallel and has non symmetric windows, so I decided for the big diffusor , which helped a lot!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing