The Room Dilemma

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
I look with envy at the great rooms that pervade this forum. My situation, however, doesn’t allow for a large dedicated room and I’m after help as to whether to pursue with a set-up in a small (16’x12’) semi-shared room or migrate to a large (23’ x 27’) family area.

The current set-up is in a 16’ x 12’ study set-up with practicalities meaning that the speakers are located across the short wall and first down the long-wall. Set-up uses the 1/3 rule with speakers 4’3” from front wall and near-field listening position a further 4’3” from the front wall. The speakers (Unity Horns + Bass Bins) are angled to cross ahead of the listening position and first reflections don’t seem to be an issue. Control of the bass is via a set of super-chunk bass traps in the front corners and heavy furniture / super-chunks in the rear corners. All this works well with the one issue being that recordings with multiple, close, microphones have a weird sound-stage.

I’ve got an option – albeit a difficult one - to move the entire set-up to our family / kitchen area which is 21’ x 25’ with a wood covered concrete floor. The benefits of this change include better bass response due to the larger dimensions of the room and ability to support multiple subwoofers, as well as use of the speakers for A/V as well as music. Another upside is the ability for late night listening away from the bedrooms. Major downside is that as a shared room it’s not possible to add room treatment. The change will also incur a few brownie points as 18” bass drivers + horns + subwoofers don’t just meld into the aesthetic.

My current view is that – all things considered – the best option is to push ahead with a move to the large room on the basis that distributed woofers can smooth bass response and directional nature of the speakers / large time delays on reflections will mean that mid/high reflections are acceptable. I’m open to any and all advice as I need to feel confident before embarking on a change given the hassle and brownie points.

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
In my experience, room size can be solved with acoustic treatment. I have heard excellent sound in a 9 feet by 9 feet square room that had Tympani speakers and 12 inch subwoofers. The subs were located behind the Tympani speakers and pointed towards the ceiling. Personally, I prefer a dedicated room.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ordinary furnishings can be quite effective acoustic products. A throw rug on the floor is a an absorber (get the thickest one you can). Bookshelfs act like diffusers. So there is no need from shying away from using your family/living room.

zydeco

Oct 16, 2010
WA, Australia
Bass response and speaker position

Thanks. A couple of more specific questions as I think through the issues related to the larger room. Is it correct to assume standard glass windows are transparent to bass frequencies? The reason for the question is that the larger room has a large set of sliding glass doors which, if true, would mean that I’ll need to pump a lot of bass into the room but, conversely, the lack of bass trapping might not be problematic. Also, in the larger room, I’d have to have the speaker against the front wall (for domestic harmony) and the listening position would naturally be quite some distance from back wall. My thinking is that this is, in fact, quite good as cancellation of the front wall will be at >500Hz and that off the back wall will be <30Hz. This type of set-up – and flush mounting – seems quite common in pro-audio but less so with home audio. Am I missing something?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing