The Cover Art Thread!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I love cover art, but not just the canvas. I love it when they include lyrics, a solid paragraph or two about how the album came to be and who was involved in both the musical and physical production of it.

There have been some great covers over the decades gone by and many are instantly recognizeable by music and non-music fans alike. I mean, who doesn't recognize the PF prism? Gentle Giant's facial caricature is another, as is Marvin Gaye's shiny black leather(vinyl?) overcoat on What's Goin' On.

Some of the 50's and 60's jazz covers had wonderful reviews and interview exerpts. I miss those.

Please bring back the art of cover design! ( I can dream can't I?)

What are some of your cover art treasures?

John

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Simplicity or a minimalist approach in design is something that I personally have always appreciated. The old "less is more" tag is often true and when it works, it's very powerful!

A really good example is the last Peter Gabriel release.."Scratch My Back", although I'm not realizing the connection fully between the music and the art. I see lips, ears and flower petals.

001..JPG

John

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing