most iconic song ever--- "Smells Like Teen Spirit"

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I am amazed he edged out so many other icons. But hey, we will take the win for our hometown boy without question :).

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Damn, that wouldn't make my top 100. I guess my brain uses a different algorithm.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Damn, that wouldn't make my top 100. I guess my brain uses a different algorithm.
I couldn't even begin to hum the melody (assuming there is one) or say one word of the lyrics :p

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I couldn't even begin to hum the melody (assuming there is one) or say one word of the lyrics :p

are you over 50 years old?

you don't count even a little.

this song was basically the Rolling Stones' 'Satisfaction' of the 90's. x100 since there was not much else going on at the time....as the 80's were mostly a nothing decade for pop music.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's a cool tune. ...Very......psychedelic.

_______

I like this one:

_______

So, Congrats all gentle folks from Seattle! :cool: ...You have a good reason to be proud of your most iconic song of all time.

Last edited:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I have to admit that I don't care for any of that music, but what did anyone from Alabama ever do...

...besides invent blues music? :D :D :D

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
For my generation at least I must agree. That song pulled rock out of that time's self indulgent excess and artifice on one end and those damn sappy, slow ballads on the other. Personally however Come as You Are was my favorite Nirvana song. For me U2's One comes in second but not a close second.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

this song was basically the Rolling Stones' 'Satisfaction' of the 90's. x100 since there was not much else going on at the time....as the 80's were mostly a nothing decade for pop music.

I actually have a couple of Nirvana albums but I probably only listened to them once. OTOH, I have quite a bit of Pearl Jam and am pretty familiar with their stuff, and really quite a few other bands and artists who got their start in the '90's or later, including Foo Fighters (who I know have only a personnel resemblance to Nirvana). Nirvana just doesn't click with me.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
In Canada we have...Leonard Cohen, Joni Mitchell and Neil Young (the Pono guy). :b

And The Guess Who, of course:
Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Jann Arden, Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLachlan...

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
A great song, but there's a lot of competition for "most iconic song ever."

Tim

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Tragically Hip, Blue Rodeo, Jann Arden, Barenaked Ladies, Sarah McLachlan...

A few very famous ones that you forgot come to mind...

Diana Krall, Avril Lavigne, and the legendary guitarist, Amos Garrett.

My favorite new Canadian singer is Serena Ryder.

Celine Dion is Canadian. Someone said that Canadians made her famous to get even with the United States for unleashing Cher. :D

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
I actually have a couple of Nirvana albums but I probably only listened to them once. OTOH, I have quite a bit of Pearl Jam and am pretty familiar with their stuff, and really quite a few other bands and artists who got their start in the '90's or later, including Foo Fighters (who I know have only a personnel resemblance to Nirvana). Nirvana just doesn't click with me.

Same here. Nirvana leaves my cold 100%, but pearl jam's 10 ranks among my all time favorite albums - sheer genius. Go figure.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Two musicians from Seattle who influenced music far more than Nirvana and the rest, in my opinion, are Jimi Hendrix and Ray Charles. To have one legend from a single town is uncommon, but to have more than one is extraordinary!

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Two musicians from Seattle who influenced music far more than Nirvana and the rest, in my opinion, are Jimi Hendrix and Ray Charles. To have one legend from a single town is uncommon, but to have more than one is extraordinary!

Probably the biggest musician/producer that came along from Seattle is Quincy Jones. He's had his hand in almost everything.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Two musicians from Seattle who influenced music far more than Nirvana and the rest, in my opinion, are Jimi Hendrix and Ray Charles.
To have one legend from a single town is uncommon, but to have more than one is extraordinary!

Two iconic musicians for sure. Seattle produces amazing people. It's also one of the great cities of the USA.

* Janis Joplin...she's from Texas. ...And Stevie Ray Vaughan too.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Mike,

I am over 50 (just) and I would like to think I count a little! :)

Nirvana stood out from the rest by doing things a little differently and they also managed to toe that line between garageband and commercial artists with appeal to both sides. They were/are a polarizing group which in my mind improves their status

BTW the most iconic song of all time is Happy Birthday, which just recently became free of copyright, at least according to a Federal judge.

Beau

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Ahh yes Grunge....not typically in my musical playlist, but the genre was played all the f.... time by my sons and their friends while they were growing up. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing