12" vs 14" tonearms

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi ,

I'm quite happy w/ both my 12" tonearm on both my turntables . Kuzma has introduced a new 4 point tonearm 14" . Harry of VPI is also planning to introduce a 14 " 3D tonearm. So will this start a trend for longer tonearms. Will it have lesser tracking distorsion than a 12" arm? What would be the advantage of a much longer arm? Is'nt 12" long already ?

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Hi ,

I'm quite happy w/ both my 12" tonearm on both my turntables . Kuzma has introduced a new 4 point tonearm 14" . Harry of VPI is also planning to introduce a 14 " 3D tonearm. So will this start a trend for longer tonearms. Will it have lesser tracking distorsion than a 12" arm? What would be the advantage of a much longer arm? Is'nt 12" long already ?

Interesting question. The new SAT tonearm is only 9" long and Fremer considers it perhaps the best he has ever heard. That review is unbelievable.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I'll stick w/my 5" Trans Fi Terminator. It is a linear tracker, after all! Detecting zero tracking/tangency errors w/the most accurate objective measuring devices known to man or God - my ears!

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I'll stick w/my 5" Trans Fi Terminator. It is a linear tracker, after all! Detecting zero tracking/tangency errors w/the most accurate objective measuring devices known to man or God - my ears!

I think the OP is asking about the longer arms because a few manufacturers are introducing longer arms. I suppose this is because of the presumed decrease in tracking error. So, if addressing tracking error is increasing in importance, why are there not more linear tracking arms being developed and why are linear trackers not more popular? Is it cost, convenience, performance, fashion?

I am not familiar with linear tracking arms and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Fremer once addressed this and basically talked about the compromises involved in both longer pivoting and linear tracking tonearms. Perhaps Kuzma and VPI have decided that lighter, stiffer arms are possible with new materials and technologies and get closer to the ideal of zero tracking error while avoiding some of the issues with linear tracking arms.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I think the OP is asking about the longer arms because a few manufacturers are introducing longer arms. I suppose this is because of the presumed decrease in tracking error. So, if addressing tracking error is increasing in importance, why are there not more linear tracking arms being developed and why are linear trackers not more popular? Is it cost, convenience, performance, fashion?

I am not familiar with linear tracking arms and what their strengths and weaknesses are.

Fremer once addressed this and basically talked about the compromises involved in both longer pivoting and linear tracking tonearms. Perhaps Kuzma and VPI have decided that lighter, stiffer arms are possible with new materials and technologies and get closer to the ideal of zero tracking error while avoiding some of the issues with linear tracking arms.

I agree w/ you Peter why is it they wanted to reduce tracking error by making the tonearms longer , but how long do you really need? Why not make linear tracking arms that are less tedious to use or more user friendly . Does the pivot tonearm has an advantage over the linear tracking arm. I even read in one forum that Harry of VPI is experimenting w/ a 16" tonearm.

Tdh888

Brian Walsh

Jul 7, 2011
ttsetup.com
Hi ,

I haven't yet experienced the 14" 4Point but understand they're selling. Lower tracking error error is one thing, but I expect there's more to it than that.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
I haven't yet experienced the 14" 4Point but understand they're selling. Lower tracking error error is one thing, but I expect there's more to it than that.

Hopefully by this week , I will have the chance to listen to the 14 " 4 point & compare to the 11" 4 point in my friends Kuzma Stabi XL . He also got himself the Periphery Brass ring clamp & the new DC motor for his Stabi XL

Tdh888

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Longer arms more resonance.

another way to put it might be that a 14" arm will need more precision to retain the resonance control of the previous 12" arm.

OTOH tweaking more precision out of the previous 12" arm might take you as far or farther. which is the more challenging task? hard to say. longer is obviously easy to do. better mechanically might be more daunting a task.

I do agree that longer requires better mechanical execution, as well as more precise set-up or the inaccuracies of the geometry will be worse as it gets longer.

it will be interesting how specific cartridges react to longer arms. might really sold bodies such as the Ortofon titanium ones that use SLM have advantages? will unanticipated resonance from the longer arms change how less robust cartridges react?

Last edited:

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Didn't someone post a pic sometime ago where this one gentleman used about a 2' arm?

cdk84

Dec 19, 2015
Hi Mike, Hi Bruce,

An interesting question from the OP. Thank you, tdh88, for posting this topic.

May I chime in that, long ago, there were 16" tonearms (sometimes called 'transcription tonearms')? In my recollection they were often used for TTs in broadcast applications.

Cheers,

David

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well-Tempered has a 19 inch arm on their 20k GBP TT

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Mike, Hi Bruce,

An interesting question from the OP. Thank you, tdh88, for posting this topic.

May I chime in that, long ago, there were 16" tonearms (sometimes called 'transcription tonearms')? In my recollection they were often used for TTs in broadcast applications.

Cheers,

David

You needed a 16" arm to play the 16" transcription discs.

Marcus

Member Sponsor
Oct 5, 2012
It is a fact that the length of the arm tube is not the only indicator of the tonearm quality but I can say confidently that the Kuzma 4Point 14' is a much better tonearm than the regluar 4Point. Less distorsion, more authority and power in lower registers, bigger soundstage...etc. I wrote a few comments on audinirvana forum if anyone in interested.

https://www.audionirvana.org/forum/...g-playback/tonearms/6970-kuzma-4point-14-inch

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing