16/44 converted from DSD- any way to tell?

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
My DAC is multibit, so any DSD files I have I convert to PCM 24/88.

Many of the SACDs I have are "hybrid" with a CD redbook layer as well.

What I am wondering is if there is anyway to tell if the CD redbook layer was done from the analog tape using a PCM converter or if it was down sampled from the DSD portion.

For instance with the RCA Living Stereo SACDs (older ones not the recent ones put out by Analogue Productions) I find the CD redbook layer rip sounds better than a 24/88 conversion from the DSD. Which leads me to believe the CD layer was done with a separate PCM converter.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
SA-CD.net can usually tell you the provenance of the files. Or you can use Audacity or something to create an FFT.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Thank you Bruce! This is the title I'm currently listening to: http://sa-cd.net/showtitle/4569

Would the provenance be from searching their forums?

I will check out Audacity.

It says on this page: Analogue

Label:
Living Stereo

Serial:

Title:
Beethoven, Schumann: Piano Concertos - Van Cliburn, Fritz Reiner

Description:
Beethoven: Piano Concerto No. 5 in E flat major Op. 73" Emperor", Schumann: Piano Concerto in A

Van Cliburn (piano)
Chicago Symphony Orchestra
Fritz Reiner (conductor)

Track listing:

Genre:
Classical - Orchestral

Content:
Stereo/Multichannel

Media:
Hybrid

Recording type:
Analogue
Recording info:

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
I get that it's an analog recording/sourced from analog. My question is if the mastering team made a separate transfer to DSD and then PCM for the hybrid redbook portion. Or if the DSD capture was converted to 16/44.

I think using Audacity and looking at the files with FFT like you suggested will be the easier way to go. I take it I will be looking for high frequency noise creeping into the ~20k area of the 16/44 file.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It may be hard in a 44.1 Khz file to tell the origin being DSD. There can be noise shaping for other reasons causing a mild boost above 20 Khz.

anders

Sep 9, 2015
Connecticut
It may be hard in a 44.1 Khz file to tell the origin being DSD. There can be noise shaping for other reasons causing a mild boost above 20 Khz.

Precisely my experience after going through several 16/44 redbook files. There is too little past 20k to make a meaningful assessment. I will continue to use the old fashioned listening method :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing