DCS Rossini

RubenV.

Feb 23, 2015
Hi guys,

Thanks a lot for all the informative replies and the willingness to share the various experiences. I thought the Rossini was more a replacement for the Puccini, but it turns out to be the replacement for the Scarlatti. I would buy the Scarlatti second hand, and with the above information in mind I think it is not a good moment to buy one know if people start selling their Scarlatti to buy the Rossini. In that case it would be wiser to wait a few months till the prices for the Scarlatti on the secondhand market are more stable.
Despite this thought, I still want to go and listen. Since I finally can afford one know I might buy one if the difference with my current Paganini is big enough...

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
You're Welcome.

Digital cables are important. And I agree to much mixing and matching on cables may not yield the best outcome. I've tried 3 digital cables..Cardas Lightning 15, Purist Proteus Provectus and Transparent Ref XL. All are good. All are a improvement from stock and in the order of my preference (last being best). Unfortunately the best was also the most expensive...how it goes sometimes in this hobby of ours.

I've also found dCS responds to power cables and isolation. I use Shunyata for all my power cables. In fact I'd go for the best power cord before the best digital cable. YMMV.

Great thread here and appreciates perspectives.

Hi JF.
I have just posted my first impressions of the Entreq Poseidon and their Apollo Clock cable on the Entreq Tellus thread
Have not really been able to separate out their respective contributions as they have only been up and running for about six hours but I am satisfied that as you advised the superior clock cable has made a big contribution.
I opted for the Entreq as all the other cables are Entreq and the clock cable has its own dedicated earth lead. So far as I am aware, and courtesy of Mike Lavigne, Tara Labs are the only other cable manufacturer to do cables with their own dedicated free standing grounding.
Thank you for your encouragement from a well satisfied recipient.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Hi JF.
I have just posted my first impressions of the Entreq Poseidon and their Apollo Clock cable on the Entreq Tellus thread
Have not really been able to separate out their respective contributions as they have only been up and running for about six hours but I am satisfied that as you advised the superior clock cable has made a big contribution.
I opted for the Entreq as all the other cables are Entreq and the clock cable has its own dedicated earth lead. So far as I am aware, and courtesy of Mike Lavigne, Tara Labs are the only other cable manufacturer to do cables with their own dedicated free standing grounding.
Thank you for your encouragement from a well satisfied recipient.

I'll go check it out. I bet that clock cable breaks in and it sounds a bit better in 1-3 weeks. Congrats !!

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

JimmyS

Sep 1, 2013
Chicago, IL
Thanks for posting your impressions. I plan to pay Paul a visit in March/April when I return to Boston for work and get a few more listening sessions in with the Rossini.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Hello Barry! I consider upgrading my Debussy with a Rossini player, like you! What about Esoteric K 01X, which play SACD? Did you hear the new Nagra HD Dac? Best regards

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hello Barry! I consider upgrading my Debussy with a Rossini player, like you! What about Esoteric K 01X, which play SACD? Did you hear the new Nagra HD Dac? Best regards

Hello Rotatoubib.
Lovely to hear from you.
Are you coming to Munich this year?
I had an Esoteric XO3SE a few years ago and couldn't live with it. It was a bit better with a DCS Verona word clock but I found the sound too cold and clinical and sold it to buy the DCS Puccini which I found so much better. Since then I have had no interest in Esoteric so I can't help you with the Esoteric K 01X.
I have not heard the Nagra.
I have had very good reports on the T+A PDP 3000 HV which was very well reviewed in the March 2015 edition HFRR and their matching amplifier and Music Centre was equally well reviewed very recently by TAS.
I am due to try at home the PDP 3000 HV SACD player/DAC but whether that will tempt me away from DCS is very much an open question.
Best wishes.

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Hello Barry. I was told that Esoteric K01X is very different from older ones, much more " analogic". I didn't know about T+A PDP 3000, but it seems nice, and i would be happy to know how it compares to Dcs on your system. I will probably go to Munich this year. Best regards

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Rotatoubib.
That is interesting about the KO1X. It suggests that my experience was shared by others and may well explain the changes they appear to have made,
Yes will let you know how things go with the T+A. Should have it in about a couple of weeks.
I'm booked in at the Innside for the Thursday and Friday nights so hopefully we can catch up with each other.
Best,
Barry

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Hmmmmm....If we concede that the transport in the Rossini Player is not quite at the same Steller level as the VRDS in the Vivaldi, and purely on SQ terms alone, might one consider putting monies saved on the Player into the purchase of the associated Rossini Clock combined with DAC as the better option ?!?!

Last edited:

Rotatoubib

May 17, 2015
France
Could be an option, but need to rip Cd , and to use a NAS. So maybe buy a player first, and later the clock !

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Hmmmmm....If we concede that the transport in the Rossini Player is not quite at the same Steller level as the VRDS in the Vivaldi, and purely on SQ terms alone, might one consider putting monies saved on the Player into the purchase of the associated Rossini Clock combined with DAC as the better option ?!?!

IMHO, it will likely be very dependent on what form of media you are using to listen to music. If you have a large CD collection which is not ripped to a server, you will likely value the internal CD drive while those who have already moved most of their CD collection to digital files and have been purchasing new selection digitally rather than via CDs will not see the same value. I expect the CD player SQ will be very good - I have not compared it to SQ 16/44 WAV file. For me, I fall into the latter camp as I bought a Naim HDX when it came out in 2008 and have been primarily purchasing new digital content directly in file formats a lot of which are hi-rez. I still purchase new vinyl as well but very few CDs. so while I cannot give an opinion of whether the internal player is better than a 16/44 wav file, the incremental cost of getting an internal player....along with the potential of CD drawer/laser mechanical failures made it not worth it for me. I did get the clock but that is informed primarily by the impact the Vivaldi clock had to my Vivaldi stack

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
IMHO, it will likely be very dependent on what form of media you are using to listen to music. If you have a large CD collection which is not ripped to a server, you will likely value the internal CD drive while those who have already moved most of their CD collection to digital files and have been purchasing new selection digitally rather than via CDs will not see the same value. I expect the CD player SQ will be very good - I have not compared it to SQ 16/44 WAV file. For me, I fall into the latter camp as I bought a Naim HDX when it came out in 2008 and have been primarily purchasing new digital content directly in file formats a lot of which are hi-rez. I still purchase new vinyl as well but very few CDs. so while I cannot give an opinion of whether the internal player is better than a 16/44 wav file, the incremental cost of getting an internal player....along with the potential of CD drawer/laser mechanical failures made it not worth it for me. I did get the clock but that is informed primarily by the impact the Vivaldi clock had to my Vivaldi stack

I think that is very well said. A few years ago I had a Puccini then added the u-clock - it wasn't subtle the improvement in focus/foundation and frankly just additional enjoyment.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Here is the study system with Rossini/clock added. It replaced the ARC Ref DAC so I also lost the preamp. I added the KX5 twenty. Just getting use to the app....it's different than the Vivaldi app. I do like the TIDAL integration

Attachments

• fix.jpg
    fix.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 698
Last edited:

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Certainly a novel approach E, don't they slide off?

I very much look forward to your considerations with respect to how Rossini matches up against Vivaldi.

Enatai252

Mar 2, 2013
Pacific NW
Certainly a novel approach E, don't they slide off?

I very much look forward to your considerations with respect to how Rossini matches up against Vivaldi.

Well I have had a few weeks with my Rossini DAC and have been extremely impressed with how close the Rossini gets to the Vivaldi. The Rossini is less complicated and simpler than the three box Vivaldi stack in my main room. I have it set up on filter 2 and up sampling to DXD. I also run at 6V into the Ayre preamp. The app is a work in process but very intuitive. Tidal integration is a nice feature and works similar to my Naim streamers. While not inexpensive....I think the Rossini is a high value product for what it delivers. Artists are presented in a natural and very organic way....there is lots of micro detail and frequency extension but the music comes through in a very coherent way. Not exaggerated or extreme. I listen to a lot of small scale jazz trio or quartets and the Rossini allows me to take in the full performance or to pullout one performer of the group and focus on them

Piano, violin, tenor sax, trumpet....my favorite instruments...have the first impulse and decay I hear from live performances I am quite pleased with the results and recommend highly

Of course just as I get a handle on the performance vs the Vivaldi....I update my Vivaldi DAC to 2.0 and then WOW! The MAP 1 on DXD up samples takes the game to a whole new level. Have not gotten to MAP3 yet

More to follow....my Vivaldi up sampler will be going to 2.0 once available

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Artists are presented in a natural and very organic way....there is lots of micro detail and frequency extension but the music comes through in a very coherent way. Not exaggerated or extreme. I listen to a lot of small scale jazz trio or quartets and the Rossini allows me to take in the full performance or to pullout one performer of the group and focus on them
A very telling, positive sign ... good one!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
...Artists are presented in a natural and very organic way....there is lots of micro detail and frequency extension but the music comes through in a very coherent way. Not exaggerated or extreme. I listen to a lot of small scale jazz trio or quartets and the Rossini allows me to take in the full performance or to pullout one performer of the group and focus on them...

A very telling, positive sign ... good one!

Agree

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing