replace my old Mono's with Devialet 400 , do you think it's a good idea?

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
i like the simplicity and the option to play Tidal from my ipad

i have Pass XP-10 Pre
Vitus SM-101 Mono
Focal Maestro
Luxman DA-06 Dac
Tara labs the one interconnect
Cardas clear speakers cable

the problem with the Focal Maestro , they drop to 1.7ohm
and need amp that can handle them.

and also i heard the Devialet can sound to bright

what do you think?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Hi Pelo911,

Tell you a true story : a friend of mine had the D'Agostino prea+stereo poweramp combo. His better half wanted a tidier home so he bought the Devialet 400 monos. Initially very happy because the bass was awesome and there was SAM to play with.
1 month later he noticed that the music lacked something and he could not be involved while listening.
Luckily he hadn't sold the D'Agostino combo yet so he reconnected them and Oh!
He sold the Devialet monos at once.

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have a D premier on my Giya G1's.. its not bright at all .. incredible pairing and an incredible amp .. 200 is good , 400 is better....

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Yes your friend's experience is in line with my own more limited experience of Devialet.
I heard them playing to a packed room at the Munich Show using an Eagles recording and uninvolving was my experience of their sound.
There are a number of reports that they sound a lot better with Entreq gear and Guillaume can speak more authoritively on that than I can.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Hi Pelo911,

Tell you a true story : a friend of mine had the D'Agostino prea+stereo poweramp combo. His better half wanted a tidier home so he bought the Devialet 400 monos. Initially very happy because the bass was awesome and there was SAM to play with.
1 month later he noticed that the music lacked something and he could not be involved while listening.

my Focal Maestro need very specifics electronics to drive them , the can sound very bad with some
many people say they sound the best with Tube.

i red that:
http://www.ultraaudio.com/index.php/equipment-menu/528-devialet-400-mono-integrated-amplifier-dacs

so i thought maybe the Devialet are really so good?!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Check with Audiophile Bill, he had the Devialet before on his Focal Maestros, he wouldn't recommend it, he prefers his Krell monos much more.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi Pelo911,

I have been testing the Devialet 400's for a few months. They represent excellent value for money, but you need to build and optimize your system around them. It is extremely sensitive to cables, power and digital source. If you are used to a great and fine tuned high-end system do not expect miracles to happen ... No way I will drop my Audio Research system ...

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
pelo911,

The D400 should be excellent on your Focal Maestro and the SAM file is available.

Like Mr.Gold, I don't find the D400 to sound bright with the latest firmware.

An Entreq Silver Tellus and Apollo cables made no improvement on my D400.

I don't find the D400 to be overly sensitive to cables, power or digital sources.

The USB input doesn't need to see the USB 5vdc buss power.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(... ) I don't find the D400 to be overly sensitive to cables, power or digital sources. (...)

It seems we disagree on this aspect.

I insisted on it because I fear people will not extract the full capabilities of the 400's unless they properly "tune" it and can get a wrong idea in an inappropriate audition.
But it would be nice to have your advice and experience with what you feel are the best digital, power and speaker cables to use with the Devialet.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
But it would be nice to have your advice and experience with what you feel are the best digital, power and speaker cables to use with the Devialet.

Cables:
Digital - Nordost Blue USB, Audience Au24 SE AES/EBU
Power- DIY- Supra LoRad MK.II 2.5 with Furutech connectors
Speaker- Audience Au24 SE

All cables conditioned with Hagerman Audio Labs FryKleaner and FryCorder

BTW, I feel the D400 sounds excellent with the stock PCs and AIR.

Last edited:

Rocco I.

Apr 26, 2012
Italy
Check with Audiophile Bill, he had the Devialet before on his Focal Maestros, he wouldn't recommend it, he prefers his Krell monos much more.

Hi Ken,

i replied to your message but the same return to me. Seems that your PM in-box is full and don't allow to receive other messages. Please relay to me again when you fix it.

Best regards.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I guess because you have the same thread on multiple forums, going over the same speakers.

It seems like analysis, paralysis.

Pelo has done this in the past on many issues, refused local dealer support, ignored and offended forum members, and has no clue what he's doing yet still comes back.

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Pelo has done this in the past on many issues, refused local dealer support, ignored and offended forum members, and has no clue what he's doing yet still comes back.

this is all the purpose of forums , People that new to it can ask questions and get advises from others , right?

"ignored and offended forum members"
i'm not sure why you wrote that
if you talking about David Baskin , he is a great guy and i spoke with him 2 weeks ago
he offer to come to my place and show my few gears , but because it's 6 hours drive i prefer to do some homework before let him drive so many hours.

in this hobby , i like to explore new electronics/speakers/cables
but every mistake cost a lot of money , so it's better to ask questions first.

the main issue i have right now , i can't find Vitus Pre to match my amps
new one cost too much.
so i thought maybe to try all in one package like the Devialet 400 , so i asked it here.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
this is all the purpose of forums , People that new to it can ask questions and get advises from others , right?

"ignored and offended forum members"
i'm not sure why you wrote that
if you talking about David Baskin , he is a great guy and i spoke with him 2 weeks ago
he offer to come to my place and show my few gears , but because it's 6 hours drive i prefer to do some homework before let him drive so many hours.

in this hobby , i like to explore new electronics/speakers/cables
but every mistake cost a lot of money , so it's better to ask questions first.

the main issue i have right now , i can't find Vitus Pre to match my amps
new one cost too much.
so i thought maybe to try all in one package like the Devialet 400 , so i asked it here.

Just wait till you track down a vitus pre. The vitus / maestro utopia synergy is much much better than Devialet. Devialet will not bring you long term satisfaction.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I auditioned the Devialet 800 and for a all in one unit it was very good. Yet when compared to the other (yes, more expensive) set-ups in the store the 800 showed it was not ready to play in that sandbox.

Last edited:

pelo911

Nov 21, 2013
Houston , Texas - USA
Just wait till you track down a vitus pre. The vitus / maestro utopia synergy is much much better than Devialet. Devialet will not bring you long term satisfaction.

i searched for over 6 month , can't find SL-101 or SL-102
i think Vitus not popular in USA

do you think of other Pre that can be good synergy with my SM-101 amps ?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing