YG getting a bad rap.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
That's it exactly. Sometimes manufacturers don't like multi-product comparisons, especially if there are big "personalities" involved (combined with the influence of advertising budgets) but comparisons are exactly what consumers want.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Really? Sound is #1 for me. I can't speak for the rest of the line but the Carmel is excellent for for $18k. I spoke to the manufacturer and the metal screen serves no real function. IMO it could be removed. I agree that at these prices you could hire an industrial artist.

Well I think even you draw the line somewhere Greg :) At shows, sometimes I think that no matter how good this piece of equipment sounds, esp. speakers, no one would ever buy it because of the looks.

And I think that high-end manufacturers owe it to their customers nowadays. Gone are the days where one would say I'd rather have the designer put the money inside the gear. I think that audiophiles deserve both.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
My age is showing. I come form the age of exposed wires,glue and unfinished sheet metal.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I agree with Myles 100% When you spend big bucks, you deserve good looks as well. And normally, expensive gear does look good. YG speakers may sound great (I have never heard them so I don't know), but for the same money I am confident that you can buy something that sounds as good and doesn't look like ass.

I think Marantz was the first company that made products that looked stunning. I still think the Model 9 amps are incredible looking. How about the 10B tuner? Even the Model 2 and Model 5 amps are good looking. Their electronic crossovers looked like jewlery. There was definitely a pride of ownership with these products.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
As Alon Wolf of Magico said," I am not a furniture maker."

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The verbiage on their web site says they create "industrial works of art." I suspect they would not say that if it was all function and not form :).

caesar

May 30, 2010
As Alon Wolf of Magico said," I am not a furniture maker."

I think he said that because his latest speakers are made out of aluminum. Most speaker manufacturers, however, are running a furniture operation.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Well I think even you draw the line somewhere Greg :) At shows, sometimes I think that no matter how good this piece of equipment sounds, esp. speakers, no one would ever buy it because of the looks.

And I think that high-end manufacturers owe it to their customers nowadays. Gone are the days where one would say I'd rather have the designer put the money inside the gear. I think that audiophiles deserve both.

True, but if you have a design conscious house, most speakers will not enhance the looks of your place. The truth is that most speakers are butt ugly. Design conscious people spend a lot of money on Bang and Olufsen. But those speakers don't sound nearly as good as they look.

The only high end speaker that has a good look is the fairly new, monster sized and priced Focal that Roy Gregory reviewed a couple of years ago. Everything else will just kill your decor. Good looking rooms and high end speakers just don't mix.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder as the cliche goes.

I'd have to agree however that despite form, at high end prices fit and finish should be top notch even if it's got nothing do with the sound. It shows the builder's dedication to his craft.

A loose analogy is having one of your people coming to make a presentation. You expect him to be totally on his game. Even if his presentation is perfect, coming in hungover reflects on how seriously he takes his job. Some speakers may be so good you can look past the sloppy work, but I just can't help but wonder how one could put so much effort into creating something and not follow through on all possible aspects.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I'd have to agree however that despite form, at high end prices fit and finish should be top notch even if it's got nothing do with the sound. It shows the builder's dedication to his craft.

Unfortunately, nothing comes for free. At that high price, the customer is paying for that Ferrari paint and finish. The smart business people in this hobby, and there aren't that many, would charge a lower price for the basic or ugly version, and an upcharge for the Ferrari finish. That way you can charge a lower price to the guy just interested in sound and a higher price to someone who desires good sound and is willing to pay more for the look.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
That is usually how it goes but even the standard options have to, at least in my opinion, be of higher than standard workmanship.

Mobiusman

May 24, 2010
Jersey Shore- waterside
Unfortunately arrogance and marketing seem to be ever increasing factors in audio. Even more upsetting is that so many people buy into this drive causing used prices to jump all overl. Humility linked with quality is the best approach in this game, with arrogance the prime fuel for a power dive. Audio is somewhat like stocks in that a piece's perceived value fluctuates with the emotions of the time. Yoav, IMHO, made a two step mistake by making a statement that could be passed off as marketing bravado like any cable ad, except that he appears to believe his own hype and is not willing to convey that it is just an ad slogan. For me the problem is when you meet him at a show, he exudes the same arrogance, and in my opinion does not have the goods to remotely support his claim. I think that his speakers are very nice, but not the best in the world, but then neither are anybody's.

Pardon me for what I am about to say, but it seems that you are more concerned about value than enjoyment, which is fine if true. If value is your prime consideration, then it is probably best to move to a safer equipment harbor. If listening enjoyment is what matters and you like your speakers, then turn up the volume and enjoy.

BTW, as I rebuild my system post divorce, I do not have a single component that people rave about and thus not a single component that has high value. Fortunately, I took advantage of this fact and bought my equipment cheap piece by piece on A'gon because the pricing was low due to no hype factor, and now am blown away by how much enjoyment I derive for the amount of money I have spent. There must be some reason why good listening good food/wine and good sex tend to promote a reflex to close your eyes during maximal enjoyment. Therefore, I close my eyes with regard to the value of what I have unless I am just "renting" the equipment for a several month evaluation. If "renting" and I start to get a bad vibe realistically or not, then it is time to move on until I find a keeper.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Unfortunately arrogance and marketing seem to be ever increasing factors in audio. Even more upsetting is that so many people buy into this drive causing used prices to jump all overl. Humility linked with quality is the best approach in this game, with arrogance the prime fuel for a power dive. Audio is somewhat like stocks in that a piece's perceived value fluctuates with the emotions of the time. Yoav, IMHO, made a two step mistake by making a statement that could be passed off as marketing bravado like any cable ad, except that he appears to believe his own hype and is not willing to convey that it is just an ad slogan. For me the problem is when you meet him at a show, he exudes the same arrogance, and in my opinion does not have the goods to remotely support his claim. I think that his speakers are very nice, but not the best in the world, but then neither are anybody's.

Mobiusman, I agree with you that the YG slogan is controversial. But when you are a young company trying to sell a $100K speaker, how else do you cut through the clutter? From a purely marketing standpoint, I think it's very effective - it definitely catches one's attention and sparks curiosity. I am sure it has resulted in a number of auditons and subsequent sales.

As to Mr. Geva's attitude, what entrepreneur have you met that thinks they have an inferior product, especially one that costs $100k?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I believe that YG will fold unless one of two conditons are met:

1. Mr. Geva is independently wealthy and it doesn't matter if his company ever turns a profit
2. Mr. Geva learns how to manufacture speakers that are attractive

I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but anyone who thinks YG speakers are beautiful needs to have their eyes examined.

caesar

May 30, 2010
I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but anyone who thinks YG speakers are beautiful needs to have their eyes examined.

MEP,

So what speakers do you find attractive?

All these speakers below sound "good" (at least to some), or at least some of their models do - and you can find great reviews on them. But...
- wilsons look like post-modern darth vader figures. don't fit into traditional home. will detract from a modern, minimalist home
- nolas look boxy and traditional. definitely don't fit into modern decor.
- martin logans are butt ugly.
- soundlabs just take over the room
- magicos are like big tomb stones.......

I think all speakers are ugly. But then we can just turn out the lights if we have a dedicated listening room. If not, well, it's a compromise like I said in a post above... It's a small price to pay to have music in your life.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Does anybody think that they are being slammed just because of their ad slogan states them as being "The best loudspeakers on Earth"?

Reminds me of this old ad from the early 1990's.:cool:

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?834-Museatex-it-was-a-heck-of-a-ride

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing