YG getting a bad rap.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
YG Acoustics is getting a lot of negative press with regard to their sound at many of the shows that they participate in. As an owner of their speakers I am becoming concerned with their value. Even though I am very happy with the sound of my system, it is hard to ignore all the bad things being said about the company. Does anybody think that they are being slammed just because of their ad slogan states them as being "The best loudspeakers on Earth"?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
YG Acoustics is getting a lot of negative press with regard to their sound at many of the shows that they participate in. As an owner of their speakers I am becoming concerned with their value. Even though I am very happy with the sound of my system, it is hard to ignore all the bad things being said about the company. Does anybody think that they are being slammed just because of their ad slogan states them as being "The best loudspeakers on Earth"?

Could also be YG vs Magico with 2 Israelis at the helm and both making aluminum case speakers.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Does anybody think that they are being slammed just because of their ad slogan states them as being "The best loudspeakers on Earth"?

Well I thought it was kinda' pretentious to say something like that. You have to earn a distinction like that. Being humble goes a long way in this business.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Yoav has actually begun to tone things down a bit. The company should be fine.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Elescher, I think you have a valid concern. Several years ago, when I owned Hales speakers, it became a factor that as soon as the Co. went under, the value of the speakers tanked.
The Hales were actually IMHO a very decent speaker, particularly considering the price. The problem was that Paul Hales,somewhat like Yoav, seemed to fly high with grandiose ideas that never materialized before he came crashing down.
I understood that Paul's trouble was the funding dried up and there went the Co. I spoke to Paul on a couple of occasions and he struck me as having his head in the clouds a little bit. Although I haven't spoken to or met Yoav, for some reason he strikes me the same way.:(

caesar

May 30, 2010
Show conditions will never be ideal for any manufacturer, so I believe that is a level playing field.

I think anyone other than Wilson and Magico is in trouble. These 2 companies have been most successful in getting constant buzz from reviews and with influential reviewers owning their speakers. So YG, Focal, Hansen, Kharma, MBL, etc., all have to somehow rise above the blogs and reviews and prove to the potential purchasers their speakers are superior.

"The best speaker in the world" probably worked to initially attract attention to an unknown brand. Sure some people were/ are be turned off, but many more will be interested in hearing the actual speaker for themselves. Now YG is doing the YG Acoustics™ Comparison Tour where their speaker is compared to a more expensive speaker. This approach may be much more effective if they put on these events with a lot more frequency and are able to draw a lot more people.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
On the flip side, there's a danger to being he flavor of the month/year. It's happened to Musical Fidelity, Kharma and MBL. Once you've been labelled as a reviewer's "Best" and the next one comes along, the implication is that you're now a has been which really doesn't follow. I think you guys can guess the two reviewers guilty for the three brands mentioned :eek:

It's too early to tell if Magico won't suffer the same fate as MBL as they have the same drum beater. Wilson on the other hand seems to have survived it quite well by constantly adapting to the market.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I heard YG at Capitol Audio Fest in June I fell in love. AT RMAF the bloom had definitely faded. Music selection and set up has lot to do with it.

YG is the real deal.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
for whatever reason, YG has terrible resale.

40k Kipods went for 14k. i believe the big Anats are offered at 60% off.

i have heard the Carmel beats the Magico V2 in all of those tour reports.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Show conditions will never be ideal for any manufacturer, so I believe that is a level playing field.

I think anyone other than Wilson and Magico is in trouble. These 2 companies have been most successful in getting constant buzz from reviews and with influential reviewers owning their speakers. So YG, Focal, Hansen, Kharma, MBL, etc., all have to somehow rise above the blogs and reviews and prove to the potential purchasers their speakers are superior.

"The best speaker in the world" probably worked to initially attract attention to an unknown brand. Sure some people were/ are be turned off, but many more will be interested in hearing the actual speaker for themselves. Now YG is doing the YG Acoustics™ Comparison Tour where their speaker is compared to a more expensive speaker. This approach may be much more effective if they put on these events with a lot more frequency and are able to draw a lot more people.

Well can tell you the two times sold my ML, had a seller in a couple of days!

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
Yes the YG advertising is a bit over the top and puts them in the crosshairs. But frankly if you are happy with your purchase, who cares what anyone else thinks? If you purchase a product with the intent of keeping it for a long time and the sound makes you happy, listen to your inner muse and forgot what everyone else is saying.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
It is a buyers market right now... I have found not just YG speakers but many other options at 1/3 of their retail value. Saying that, YG has not convinced me at least at show conditionss, while some others had, like Vivid, Avalon or Acapella.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I'm sure it's just me, but I find YG speakers to be butt-ugly. And I say that having never seen them in person, only from the pictures.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have to agree with Mep. They not only look ugly, but look like they won't sound good if that makes sense. They are on the cover of latest TAS issue they look like the robots from Dr. Who. The wires on the drivers also make one think they are going to cause interference patterns and not a sign of anything that adds to quality of a driver.

In high-end audio marketing, the look of a product is super important. I know companies who spend a ton of money on stuff like this (e.g. making sure the motors in a CD drawer "sound expensive").

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Amir-I think you are on to something. I think speakers (and gear in general) send a subliminal message to our brains. Some things just scream "I am high-end and I sound as good as I look (or something like that)." I didn't mention the wires, but you are dead on. It looks like something I would expect on some dj speakers or something. They scream, "I am here to protect the driver, not to make them sound better." Wilson and Magico do a much better job with their looks and their looks appear to be form-follows-function. I don't care how good YG speakers sound, even if I could afford them I wouldn't buy them because of their looks.

Nicholas Bedworth

WBF Founding Member
May 7, 2010
Maui, where else?
The Sashas fit quite well into my listening room :) and I'll be the first to admit that really strange lookiing "space alien" design on speakers or any type of gear makes me uncomfortable. YG is trying to stake out their place in the world, and at least they're not boring in their marketing.

Regarding reviewers saying one thing or another is the best, well, we've all been guilty of this up to a point, but a better approach is to point out the strengths and weaknesses of several similar products and do more of a comparison. This exposes, to the reader, the realities of living with the products, and for a given scenario, one may well be "best", for a particular reader, and they'll be very pleased with the results rather than reading that "everything" is best, which we all know isn't true.

What's best for the consumer depends...

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Regarding reviewers saying one thing or another is the best, well, we've all been guilty of this up to a point, but a better approach is to point out the strengths and weaknesses of several similar products and do more of a comparison. This exposes, to the reader, the realities of living with the products, and for a given scenario, one may well be "best", for a particular reader, and they'll be very pleased with the results rather than reading that "everything" is best, which we all know isn't true.
This would be great. I don't really get a feeling for a product by being told "it has a great sense of space." In relation to what? When two are compared and "one is a bit brighter, with tighter bass" I learn more about these two pieces than each described in absence.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Amir-I think you are on to something. I think speakers (and gear in general) send a subliminal message to our brains. Some things just scream "I am high-end and I sound as good as I look (or something like that)." I didn't mention the wires, but you are dead on. It looks like something I would expect on some dj speakers or something. They scream, "I am here to protect the driver, not to make them sound better." Wilson and Magico do a much better job with their looks and their looks appear to be form-follows-function. I don't care how good YG speakers sound, even if I could afford them I wouldn't buy them because of their looks.

Really? Sound is #1 for me. I can't speak for the rest of the line but the Carmel is excellent for for $18k. I spoke to the manufacturer and the metal screen serves no real function. IMO it could be removed. I agree that at these prices you could hire an industrial artist.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing