SPRINT Blood Pressure Study

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Sounds as though some one wants to sell more medicine.

Last edited:

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
With 9 classes of medications that include 20 different generic drugs there is not much profit for the pharmaceutical companies.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I suppose that is the pitfall of anecdotal evidence.
It takes two pills to keep me under 150. A doctor estimates as many as three pills to get to 129.
Both my medications are on the $4 list and are generic. I belieive they are subsidized. Given the number of citizens who either are on blood pressure medicine or should be that is substantial.. I should note that the doctor I listened to supported the study and had no financial interest selling medicine.
Weight loss, diet and excercise helps. He also claims no significant increase in side effects with increased dosage.
EDIT:
Statistical Fact Sheet
2013 Update
High Blood Pressure
?? In the United States, about 77.9 million (1 out of every 3) adults have high blood pressure.
?? Data from NHANES 2007–10 showed that of those with high blood pressure,
- 81.5 percent are aware they have it
- 74.9 percent are under current treatment
- 52.5 percent have it controlled
- 47.5 percent do not have it controlled
?? Among adults age 20 and older in the United States, the following have high blood pressure:
- For non-Hispanic whites, 33.4 percent of men and 30.7 percent of women.
- For non-Hispanic blacks, 42.6 percent of men and 47.0 percent of women.
- For Mexican Americans, 30.1 percent of men and 28.8 percent of women.
?? Projections show that by 2030, prevalence of hypertension will increase 7.2% from 2013 estimates

American Heart Association

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I've been on BP medication since I was 23, but I suspect I only see numbers under 120 when I'm asleep!
IIRC 120 is the new goal under the study.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing