cassett tapes??anyone

Recordsguy

Sep 6, 2015
yes I know it's a new century but I'm old school and love my cassettes but sometimes it's hard to find them, any suggestions?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was to dump all of my cassettes (about 300) that I painstakingly recorded from my 45's and albums, plus radio programs. It would have been so much fun listening to them now.

slowGEEZR

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2010
Colorado Springs, CO
One of the biggest mistakes I ever made was to dump all of my cassettes (about 300) that I painstakingly recorded from my 45's and albums, plus radio programs. It would have been so much fun listening to them now.

I've got quite few of them that I never got rid of. Most were recorded with dbx noise reduction, but some were recorded using Dolby B. I even still have the old cassette deck. One of these days I should see if they still play.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've got quite few of them that I never got rid of. Most were recorded with dbx noise reduction, but some were recorded using Dolby B. I even still have the old cassette deck. One of these days I should see if they still play.
Yeah, you should. Would be fun to look back.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I kept around 70 cassettes, very well recorded, and played them once in a while in my Dragon.... nice memories.

Last edited:

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=cassette+tapes&tbm=shop

I find them all the time at goodwill, NOS still in wrap, usually .50 a pop. Get the Goodwill app on your phone and when ever you are out and about, fire it up and it shows you where the nearest stores are.

I had no idea some of the store bought pre recorded tapes could sound decent until I got the deck (see signature) I now have.

Fleece Bay is a source.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia

My biggest regret is not taking my cassette listening more seriously than I did and investing more dollars into it than I actually did. Back in the mid 80s to early 90s, at least when it came to classical music, I actually felt that well produced pre-recorded cassettes had the edge over CD believe it or not. There were absolutely none of the problems I was noticing with "early digital" CD, even though a lot of the titles were digitally recorded in 16 bits to begin with (recording companies had at best 18 or 20 bit recording back then). The companies that produced them were investing heavily in good technology and putting a lot of effort into achieving good sound. Even companies we might not have considered top-tier in audiophile terms such as DG and EMI had production processes that resulted in extremely good sounding recordings provided they were played back on a high quality deck. Then there were hard-core audiophile companies like Telarc that produced superb titles using TDK SA tape.

I just wished I had bought far more titles back then - they rarely disappointed. And I wish I had saved my money harder to get one of the higher end decks rather than the base model Nakamichi I owned (and a base model Sony ES series - I forget which). But unfortunately when cassette was at it's very best, I was flat out saving for a house deposit, so effectively I missed out on having anything more than an extremely modest collection.

In any case, by the early 90s those Mercury Living Presence titles were coming out onto CD and for the first time (along with the Chesky titles), I was beginning to see the potential in CD, so analogue tape started to take a back seat with respect to what limited funds I had to spend.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing