Jriver 21 Total HTPC Package?

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I've been monogamish with Jriver for the last five or six years. I've used Jriver in various ways. However, I've mostly used it just for music playback.

I started using cable cards on a PC from the beginning. I owned the first ATI PCI OCUR cable card tuner and then a couple of Ceton tuners and finally now the HD homerun. I've used cablecard with jriver on and off since jriver 18. I also started playing Bluray back with jriver 18. At that time, things were complicated and difficult to set up. Bluray was very inconsistent. So I gave up and turned my projector off for a while.

My wife paid for the projector and football season is coming, so I got some pressure to set everything up again. I have been using jriver 21 since it was released. I was surprised at how much easier things are now with jriver. Cablecard setup is much smoother than before and Bluray playback is astonishingly simple. IMO, Jriver 21 may not have any feature that will draw any attention. There are new upsamping outputs and a lot of mundane improvements for cable TV playback/recording. I do feel that Jriver 21 has realized my dream of making my PC an elite all around media source for all possible forms of audio/video entertainment.

Michael.

Last edited:

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I purchased a music server some time ago and it uses JRiver 18 for playback and dB PowerAmp for ripping. (I was told at the time I purchased it that dB Power Amp was superior for ripping over JRiver).

I would like to "build" a media server for some of my top Blurays and see no reason not to use the same base hardware that my music server utilizes and then add whatever hardware is necessary.

Are you using JRiver 21 for ripping and playback of your Blurays? What video specific hardware would I need to be able to accomplish my objective. I know I need lots more disc storage and assume some kind of RAID configuration would be necessary.

Note: When it comes to technical stuff on a PC, my IQ is single digits. If there were a way to do what I want to do on a Mac, I would.

Any recommendations for RAID and other hardware would be appreciated.

What I REALLY want is a media server that does not have the feel of a PC. To demonstrate how paranoid I am about PC's, even Windows 7 feels like it is written over DOS. Everything about it is so cryptic when compared to a Mac. I'm sure I could purchase something pre-built like Kaleidescape but am not willing to spend the price of a small car for something I actually don't need!!

Thanks

dallasjustice

Member Sponsor
Apr 12, 2011
Dallas, Texas
I'm not ripping blurays. I'm playing them just like a bluray player but with Jriver. You have to install anydvd too. It's very good.

I purchased a music server some time ago and it uses JRiver 18 for playback and dB PowerAmp for ripping. (I was told at the time I purchased it that dB Power Amp was superior for ripping over JRiver).

I would like to "build" a media server for some of my top Blurays and see no reason not to use the same base hardware that my music server utilizes and then add whatever hardware is necessary.

Are you using JRiver 21 for ripping and playback of your Blurays? What video specific hardware would I need to be able to accomplish my objective. I know I need lots more disc storage and assume some kind of RAID configuration would be necessary.

Note: When it comes to technical stuff on a PC, my IQ is single digits. If there were a way to do what I want to do on a Mac, I would.

Any recommendations for RAID and other hardware would be appreciated.

What I REALLY want is a media server that does not have the feel of a PC. To demonstrate how paranoid I am about PC's, even Windows 7 feels like it is written over DOS. Everything about it is so cryptic when compared to a Mac. I'm sure I could purchase something pre-built like Kaleidescape but am not willing to spend the price of a small car for something I actually don't need!!

Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing