Go see this movie before it leaves the big screen

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
Let us know what you think. While I love music (and music documentaries) I despise rap and hip hop so much I take offense that they can be mentioned in the same sentence as music.

That said, I do try to be open minded and love a good movie...

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'll pick up the Blu-ray.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Let us know what you think. While I love music (and music documentaries) I despise rap and hip hop so much I take offense that they can be mentioned in the same sentence as music.

Hey, I'm with you. Never thought I would like anything that deals with that subject matter. Personally, I think rap and hip hop is more akin to theater than music. But one only has to look a the Broadway hit "Hamilton" to see how it has integrated with the mainstream. I guess if even Quincy Jones can find something positive there, I can have a more open mind as well. As I said, I'm not fond of the music, but NWA was there at the beginning and this movie is their story. And a good one it is. Entertaining, educational and poignant.

taters

Jun 6, 2012

That's the reason I won't see it no matter how good it is. I don't want to support that movement.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just got home from seeing the film. Like all of you I am not a fan of this type of music but I have to say that the movie was truly well told and depicted a part of time with a group that only wanted to sell music to their homies. Ice Cube is a brilliant man who in spite of his music had risen to fame and fortune. His son portrays him in the movie and is indeed his double. The early life of these guys was quite memorable to say the least. Dr Dre came out on top as well with his Aftermath label and selling his headphone company to Apple for over $3B.

You may not agree with what they had to say but the movie IMO Is so well done that it's a must see

It's a long film but you will be glued to the screen

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Just got home from seeing the film. Like all of you I am not a fan of this type of music but I have to say that the movie was truly well told and depicted a part of time with a group that only wanted to sell music to their homies. Ice Cube is a brilliant man who in spite of his music had risen to fame and fortune. His son portrays him in the movie and is indeed his double. The early life of these guys was quite memorable to say the least. Dr Dre came out on top as well with his Aftermath label and selling his headphone company to Apple for over $3B.

You may not agree with what they had to say but the movie IMO Is so well done that it's a must see

It's a long film but you will be glued to the screen

You live on a golf course in Northern California. I had a business in the L.A. Area in 1992 and have first hand experience dealing with this gang banger types. I know it's glamorized in movies, music and our culture in general. But the reality is it's not glamorous at all. If you ever dealt with it first hand you would understand where I am coming from.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
You live on a golf course in Northern California. I had a business in the L.A. Area in 1992 and have first hand experience dealing with this gang banger types. I know it's glamorized in movies, music and our culture in general. But the reality is it's not glamorous at all. If you ever dealt with it first hand you would understand where I am coming from.

Understand from where you're coming. I am merely commenting on this as a part of American history in a well done movie. I actually live less than an hour south of Compton. I am sure the way you lived that part of history has left some permanent scars. The reality was that this was a group of kids who only wanted to play music for those around them and the stories (rap) that they told was what they woke up to and the lives they lead. So I understand that part of the story as well. Unfortunately their manager took them out of their hood and embezzled large sums of their money. So once again for me it was a well made biopic.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
Understand from where you're coming. I am merely commenting on this as a part of American history in a well done movie. I actually live less than an hour south of Compton. I am sure the way you lived that part of history has left some permanent scars. The reality was that this was a group of kids who only wanted to play music for those around them and the stories (rap) that they told was what they woke up to and the lives they lead. So I understand that part of the story as well. Unfortunately their manager took them out of their hood and embezzled large sums of their money. So once again for me it was a well made biopic.

I am glad you enjoyed it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
For the last two hours plus I was looking @ videos...of police brutality against black people. ...And that last shooting from that officer...eight times in the back of that black man...unarmed. It rips my heart apart...and I can feel deep inside for the people living in those communities. No matter how they express themselves musically...I feel it.
I will check this film...eventually.

taters

Jun 6, 2012
For the last two hours plus I was looking @ videos...of police brutality against black people. ...And that last shooting from that officer...eight times in the back of that black man...unarmed. It rips my heart apart...and I can feel deep inside for the people living in those communities. No matter how they express themselves musically...I feel it.
I will check this film...eventually.

Just imagine going through 200 years of slavery and 200 years of racism and police brutality. No wonder black people are so angry. They have every right to be.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Don't Bite It - very funny NWA song - sounds great as well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Just imagine going through 200 years of slavery and 200 years of racism and police brutality. No wonder black people are so angry. They have every right to be.

Yeah, it's inhuman. You gotta respect every human being on this planet, or we'll never get out of our cocoon.

So, RAP music is not my bag either, but I respect everyone on what they have to say and how they say it...even more so when you understand what is inside them.
How we cry for injustice and rejection on this Earth is a matter of the heart expression...and in this case here cause, action and reaction...The Matrix.

Eminem starred in another movie...8 Mile.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing