Dog ate my Audioquest Jitterbug

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Some of you know that I bought an Audioquest Jitterbug that gets rid of noise on USB bus. Been too busy setting up my lab in the new house so no have not had time to play with it much. Took it out of the box, did a single listen and then left it on the table next to my usual chair in the living room. This is what the device looks like:

On review sites, I see an open version of it showing the circuit board but I could not figure out a way to open it without damaging the case. All of those shots seem to have come from Audioquest. Still, I was curious to find a way to do that when the time again.

Well, little did I know, the problem was "solved for me." I am sitting in my chair and notice that the box that the AQ had come in, was on the floor. Didn't think nothing of it but out of the corner of my eye, I see our male Samoyed dog chewing on something. He usually does that with bones around the house but for some reason, I thought his chewing was a bit unusual. Fearing that he might have gone after the AQ, I rush there. I try to open his jaws and of course he puts up a fight. But with a Kungfu method of squeezing his side cheeks, I get the jaws open just an inch and reach in there. My fears materialized when I felt a piece of plastic and at the same time, I see the PC board guts of the AQ next to him! I take out one piece of plastic, then another and another after that.

Your honor, I put forward this exhibit #1 to show clear evidence of the crime:

Let's agree this is the work of a clever animal who figured out how to open this thing when I could not. Further evidence of whodunit, is the white hair.

And here is the criminal resting in the bathroom with no remorse or admission of any such crimes:

Notice the matching white hair. And oh, did I mention your honor that he is an illegal alien from Canada? That is where he was born and came to US with no visa application. Only a health certificate shown at the border that any owner smarter than me could have avoided doing. :D

As for damages, I paid $50 for it. The remarkable part is that other than a highly chewed up USB connector at one end, almost the entire circuit remains intact! Only one coil is pulled out slightly. I will have to put it under magnification to see if the connecting wires are still there (they seem to be).

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Now that it has been nuded, it will probably sound better. :D :D :D

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
Count yourself lucky , my dog pee'd , unbeknown to me , on the back of my maggies and the ally wire corroded.. and cats do all sots of nasty things too .. playing Katch the Kricket with the Koestsu..
Beautiful dog you have there.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I wanna say that's a Samoyed, but I don't think it is. Some sort of Spitz?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Count yourself lucky , my dog pee'd , unbeknown to me , on the back of my maggies and the ally wire corroded.. and cats do all sots of nasty things too .. playing Katch the Kricket with the Koestsu..

The exact same thing happened to me. He died a few years later, and my wife has his ashes in a box. One day, I may just pee on them. Just because he is dead doesn't mean he's forgiven.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oh he is a Samoyed. A male one. We also have a female that is more cunning than him!

He's gorgeous! However, I don't trust them. I was attacked twice by a dog and both times they were Samoyeds. I'm a little leery about them and give them a wide birth.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That's one way to break your gear in, however, not a recommended way. ;)

Tom

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The exact same thing happened to me. He died a few years later, and my wife has his ashes in a box. One day, I may just pee on them. Just because he is dead doesn't mean he's forgiven.

I don't exactly know what to say...RIP dog. ...I'm sure he didn't mean any harm...might is well remember, not forgetting, all the joy in the heart he provided.
Your wires...who cares! :D ...Just go wireless and snap out of it. :D

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Smart dog. Knowing there are all kinds of toxins in a circuit board, he spit it out on the floor and went for the plastic. No toxins there :). Chewier, too.

Tim

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
plastic is pretty toxic as is and very toxic fumes when burnt.

cat6man

Feb 6, 2013
west of NYC, east of SF
when i was in graduate school, my roommate's tiny new kitten (name: punky padoo) started to claw at the cloth on one of my speakers.
i picked it up and tossed it underhand through the open door into his room...............but my aim was off and kitty bounced off the wall behind the sofa.
it really was unintended (consciously at least), but he has reminded of it constantly for over 30 years, and he made sure my wife and kids learned about it.

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia

My cat once vomited through the ventilation grills of my beloved Panasonic CRT TV. And it was their top of the line model too.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing