Tad cr-1

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
I've been hearing many great things about the TAD CR-1 speakers. Are there CR-1 owners out there who could advice on or recommend a power amplifier that will get the most out of these beauties?

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I had CR-1, now i have some big models included Big TADs. The best in my opinion are Burmester and Vitus amps.

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
Thanks for the heads up. Would you recommend any particular Burmester or Vitus amp?

Last edited:

analog brother

Jan 20, 2014
are the cr1 an easy load?
the sensitivity suggests not, but the impedance curve looks quite stable?

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
are the cr1 an easy load?
the sensitivity suggests not, but the impedance curve looks quite stable?

I am guessing the CR-1s aren't exceptionally easy to drive. I'd say it is hard to match an amp to a speaker based on load and impedance alone, isn't it?

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I had no problem with TADs and amps. Burmester 911mk3 or Vitus Sm-011 sounds great with TADs. Jeff Rowland 725 was nice too, but Burmester and Vitus better.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've heard TAD speakers many times but none better than with all TAD electronics driving them.

Reactions: Amir and mtemur

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
I've heard TAD speakers many times but none better than with all TAD electronics driving them.

Did you hear the CR-1s driven by the M2500 or the M600 amp?

Last edited:

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
I had no problem with TADs and amps. Burmester 911mk3 or Vitus Sm-011 sounds great with TADs. Jeff Rowland 725 was nice too, but Burmester and Vitus better.

Both suggestions sound amazing but i might not be able to afford it :( Thinking of other options, I've seen the M2500 being warmly recommended and it's within my budget. Is that a winning combinations?
My current amplifier is a Bryston 4Bsst2 and I was wondering whether anyone has heard the CR-1s with this modest amp and if so I'd be grateful for your impressions

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
Maybe M600 is great option. I didn't test it with my TADs, but i had M2500. Burmester and Vitus amps are much better than M2500 or any Bryston amps. M2500 is good, heavy and powerfull amp. It depends what are you looking for. M2500 is like Mercedes C, Vitus is like S-Classe 500, more colours of sound, more saturate, better deep 3D space.

Total The best configuration i ever heard with TADs is Burmester 077 preamp(ver.with external PS) and Vitus SM-011 monoblocks, Purist Audio Design 25th Anniversary Luminist XLR cables, Gryphon Kalliope DAC.

Last edited:

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
Maybe M600 is great option. I didn't test it with my TADs, but i had M2500. Burmester and Vitus amps are much better than M2500 or any Bryston amps. M2500 is good, heavy and powerfull amp. It depends what are you looking for. M2500 is like Mercedes C, Vitus is like S-Classe 500, more colours of sound, more saturate, better deep 3D space.

Total The best configuration i ever heard with TADs is Burmester 077 preamp(ver.with external PS) and Vitus SM-011 monoblocks, Purist Audio Design 25th Anniversary Luminist XLR cables, Gryphon Kalliope DAC.

Thanks Sly30. I am really grateful for your advice! I would love to get a Vitus SM-011 or a Burmester 911mk3 but I cant afford to buy it new. Maybe one way is to buy second hand. Is that a good idea and if so, where should i look?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Goes to show that you need to listen to these combinations and form your own opinion.

I personally did not like the 911mk3 / cr1 combo. The 911mk3 is an aggressive sounding amp and it made the already forward sounding CR1's sound nervous. Another member here, Joeind, will tell you the same thing.

IMO the CR1's are very finicky to drive, they need power and finesse, traits which are hard to find in a single amp. I loved the sound of the TAD M600's and M2500, and I bet Vitus and things like Pass Labs would work well on them.

Good luck and just make sure you listen to the amp before committing to a purchase. There is more chance of getting it wrong than right with these speakers.

Reactions: mtemur

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
+1

For my taste on the TAD CR-1, a smooth, sweet, somewhat powerful amp needs to be used. I am sorry but you really need to listen before you commit to a purchase. I went through many amps trying to find the right combo for me. I am pretty tolerant of a wide variety of sound. Amps like Vitus, Lamm, and TADs own gear would be something I'd consider for the TADs. Conrad Johnson (ART monos) is outstanding. So is the Music Reference RM-200, amazing. Please be thoughtful. My Burmester was way too aggressive for me on the TADs, both the stereo 911mk3 and mono 911mk3's was fatiguing. I'd love to have the 911mk3 monos now for my Strads, but that's not going to happen. :D

Goes to show that you need to listen to these combinations and form your own opinion.

I personally did not like the 911mk3 / cr1 combo. The 911mk3 is an aggressive sounding amp and it made the already forward sounding CR1's sound nervous. Another member here, Joeind, will tell you the same thing.

IMO the CR1's are very finicky to drive, they need power and finesse, traits which are hard to find in a single amp. I loved the sound of the TAD M600's and M2500, and I bet Vitus and things like Pass Labs would work well on them.

Good luck and just make sure you listen to the amp before committing to a purchase. There is more chance of getting it wrong than right with these speakers.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
TADs are smooth, sweet, warm, saturate but with great resolution. You can use Burmester 911mk3 but with warm smooth cables like Purist Audio Design, MIT, Transparent etc...not silver cables or agressive copper like Nordost, Audioquest. If you want to get more smooth sound than from Burmester Amps than you can use Vitus SM-011.
On second hand market is possible to buy Burmester amps in great conditions. I sold my amps(like new) one year ago, becouse i prefered Vitus SM-011 but with preamp Burmester 077 external PS.

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
Thanks again for your invaluable advice. The next step is to arrange demos starting with the TAD and Vitus amps. Very exciting!
In relation to the Vitus sm-011, unfortunately I cant really afford it. The Vitus SS 102 is more affordable and is available second hand. The Vitus dealer who hasn't got sm-011 demo units tells me that the SS-102 will give a good flavour and extremely close rendition of the tonal & textural qualities offered by Vitus products at this level. Has anyone listened to the ss-102 with the CR-1s and if so, what were your impressions?

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Have you considered a Vitus integrated?
I have the SIA 025 and it drives my Kipod Signature passives without problems.
I have also heard good things about their new Reference series integrated which is more affordable and at 300 watts it will be more than powerful enough to drive the TADs.

sly30

Jun 18, 2012
I know most Vitus amps, Reference is Ok but SIA-025 is better. SS-102 i over SIA-025. For me the best are SM-011 monoblocks. Of course Masterpiece are great but it is a little other kind of sound and very high price.

yukster

Sep 9, 2015
London, UK
I know most Vitus amps, Reference is Ok but SIA-025 is better. SS-102 i over SIA-025. For me the best are SM-011 monoblocks. Of course Masterpiece are great but it is a little other kind of sound and very high price.
My original setup consisted of a Bryston BDA-1 DAC, a BP-26 preamp and a 4Bsst power amp. I recently upgraded my BDA-1 to a TAD D1000 which has a variable output so I disposed of my BP-26 preamp and the improvement was immense. I don’t really need an analogue pre-amp in my setup so the question is, do I need an integrated amplifier such as the Vitus SIA-025 or am i better off by upgrading to a power amplifier such as the SS 102?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing