Devialet PHANTOM Ships, Becomes Fastest-Selling Product in High-End Audio

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Can we know why are you surprised?
Because it has no tubes and looks like a bathroom scale rather than 1000 pound solid state audiophile amp :D.

Take a look at the amplifier web page and tell me if it speaks go audiophiles. Go ahead. I will wait :).

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I love the idea of these and can't wait to listen.
For music in the family room with the wife and kids (who hate the fiddling around with the "high end" system) I reckon it's almost a no brainer - apart from the terrible Aussie dollar at the moment :(

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Because it has no tubes and looks like a bathroom scale rather than 1000 pound solid state audiophile amp :D.

Take a look at the amplifier web page and tell me if it speaks go audiophiles. Go ahead. I will wait :).

As far as I know audiophiles do not buy Devialet´s because of what they read in web pages. You should see the paper version of the Devialet Fact Book, gathering all the world reviews of Devialet and the quality of their advertising material. The concepts behind Devialet are audiophile - a small class A amplifier that gives the quality and a class D to give the quantity.

Diversity has been one of the most important aspects of the high-end. The Devialet is a chameleon - you must fine tune it to create a system and it reacts exceptionally well to the quality and matching of cables and source - something that pleases audiophiles. The system is evolutive - you start with one unit and can add more units connected through digital umbilicals. When you add 6 units it is over 100 pounds!:)

Just to end it needs a lot of burn-in. Cold from the box it sounds sterile.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
As far as I know audiophiles do not buy Devialet´s because of what they read in web pages.
I said "take a look at their web page and tell me if it speaks to audiophiles." Does it?

You should see the paper version of the Devialet Fact Book, gathering all the world reviews of Devialet and the quality of their advertising material. The concepts behind Devialet are audiophile - a small class A amplifier that gives the quality and a class D to give the quantity.
Oh? When did audiophiles want quantity? Or one delivered through class D?

The "concept" behind Devialet is lifestyle high-end audio. That is the reason behind its industrial design.

Diversity has been one of the most important aspects of the high-end.
Not this kind of diversity.

The Devialet is a chameleon - you must fine tune it to create a system and it reacts exceptionally well to the quality and matching of cables and source - something that pleases audiophiles.
That you must do that pleases audiophiles? And why is it a "must" here but not elsewhere?

The system is evolutive - you start with one unit and can add more units connected through digital umbilicals. When you add 6 units it is over 100 pounds!:)
You can do that with a cluster of Crown amps, all through ethernet interconnects. So?

Just to end it needs a lot of burn-in. Cold from the box it sounds sterile.
And that comes from AB comparison of a cold one and a warm one that you have done?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Devialet amplifier. What else would it be?

Not before but I read it now and totally disagree with statements like this:

"Bass using the analog output on my Memory Player into the Devialet suffered from less control. Bass was softer with less impact and tended to linger longer than I felt it should. "

In my testing the bass performance through analog port was exceptional as it should be. Class D amps have exceptional efficiency and power in bass frequencies (hence their almost universal use in subwoofers). Anyone who thinks that configuration produces anemic sound against circuit theory and my own listening experience doesn't give me any motivation to believe the rest of what they say.

BTW, like microstrip, I have a D400. It replaced a preamp, phono stage, DAC and amp.
Great. Now, what does any of this have to do with where the company makes its money? We are in a thread where they are bragging about celebrities buying their loudspeaker. Wouldn't it reason to think that the amp is also sold to the same set of customers? And it is those customers who value the look and feel of both products? And are much easier to sell products to than audiophiles? And there are more of them???

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
Devialet amplifier. What else would it be?

Not before but I read it now and totally disagree with statements like this:

"Bass using the analog output on my Memory Player into the Devialet suffered from less control. Bass was softer with less impact and tended to linger longer than I felt it should. "

In my testing the bass performance through analog port was exceptional as it should be. Class D amps have exceptional efficiency and power in bass frequencies (hence their almost universal use in subwoofers). Anyone who thinks that configuration produces anemic sound against circuit theory and my own listening experience doesn't give me any motivation to believe the rest of what they say.

Great. Now, what does any of this have to do with where the company makes its money? We are in a thread where they are bragging about celebrities buying their loudspeaker. Wouldn't it reason to think that the amp is also sold to the same set of customers? And it is those customers who value the look and feel of both products? And are much easier to sell products to than audiophiles? And there are more of them???

Thanks for your response.

Never saw your review.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia

Devialet looks like a bathroom scale???? have you ever see D'Agostino amps, man!!!

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
I love the idea of these and can't wait to listen.
For music in the family room with the wife and kids (who hate the fiddling around with the "high end" system) I reckon it's almost a no brainer - apart from the terrible Aussie dollar at the moment :(

Yes, should work well in thaat situation!

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I said "take a look at their web page and tell me if it speaks to audiophiles." Does it?

Oh? When did audiophiles want quantity? Or one delivered through class D?

The "concept" behind Devialet is lifestyle high-end audio. That is the reason behind its industrial design.

Not this kind of diversity.

That you must do that pleases audiophiles? And why is it a "must" here but not elsewhere?

You can do that with a cluster of Crown amps, all through ethernet interconnects. So?

And that comes from AB comparison of a cold one and a warm one that you have done?

IMHO dissecting a post in single sentences and dissociating them of the whole context in an argumentative style will not lead us anywhere. You have my opinion, YMMV.
I have no doubts that the US perception and marketing of Devialet is different from the European.

Devialet have been in the market for some time. People wanting to know a lot more can read in french (my apologies for people not being able to read it) at french wikipedia.https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devialet

I have followed with particular interest the Devialet story since its inception. I have tried several models in my system along its five year evolution and IMHO they have now perfected it to the point it can be of great interest to demanding audiophiles.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) And that comes from AB comparison of a cold one and a warm one that you have done?

Yes. Having a 400 ( two 200's that can be configured in mono blocks or used as two stereos) allowed me and friends to carry a few informal tests using AB immediate switching (we are so confident in Devialet endurance that we changed speaker cables keeping the Devialets on, just pressing pause in the CD transport) in sighted conditions.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Devialet have been in the market for some time. People wanting to know a lot more can read in french (my apologies for people not being able to read it) at french wikipedia.https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devialet
No, I suggest if anyone wants to learn, they seek other sources than one that starts this way:

Which factual Wiki article starts with bragging about how many awards a company has? Clearly it was inappropriate enough to have triggered that big warning on top from Wiki community.

Even more notable is the fact that the above warning is repeated yet again in the Product section.

Did you read those warnings and still chose to present the page to us to read it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Your opinion is similar to the opinion of some people, including me, of the D-Premier at that time. However recent versions and firmware revisions solved the problem you presented of treble, ambiance and flat sound - aspects where now the Devialet has very good performance when used with suitable speakers and ancillaries.

Something that puzzles me is why the treble seems better and airy when used in mono blocks (D400).

BTW, using an external DAC does not bypass the internal DAC - analog signals are always converted to digital at the input.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
No, I suggest if anyone wants to learn, they seek other sources than one that starts this way:

Which factual Wiki article starts with bragging about how many awards a company has? Clearly it was inappropriate enough to have triggered that big warning on top from Wiki community.

Even more notable is the fact that the above warning is repeated yet again in the Product section.

Did you read those warnings and still chose to present the page to us to read it?

Yes I took that option. I suppose WBF is a mature audience and audiophiles are so used to hyperbole and marketing that they will minimize the promotional and advertising features, particularly when they are warned about it.

The article is filled with facts and chronology that can not be found elsewhere and IMHO is relevant for the thread - but perhaps we should debate the amplifier sound in a separate thread or change the tittle of the original to Has anyone heard the Devialet D-Premier Premier - D200 - D250 Integrated Amp/DAC.

BTW, IMHO no reading replaces listening to the current product in adequate conditions.

Cosmosound

Sep 15, 2015
Cyprus
www.cosmo-tech.info
Small country of ours, lots of Phantom sales :) unbelievable

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing