VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Nice, time to visit NYC!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I've read all kinds of criticism of him, but the only thing I can say is that I have tried twice to make an appointment and the store was closed (Xmas holiday period). It's hard to be a one-man show, in any business.

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
lasvegasaudioclub.blogspot.com
I've read all kinds of criticism of him, but the only thing I can say is that I have tried twice to make an appointment and the store was closed (Xmas holiday period). It's hard to be a one-man show, in any business.

well, that stinks...sorry you had to go through that..basically, he was quite leery to give me prices on FM equipment..i have no idea why. and he just treated me like i was some gullible kid regarding another matter lol. to befair the fm factory, is thesame way...maybe they just don't care to do that sort of thing, but why not? i don't understand the reasoning behind this. but that's their m.o. as absurd as it may be...

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
then there is this.

I don't know Gideon and he may take great care of his customers. clearly he sells top level gear. which is more networking than brick and mortar convenience.

Last edited:

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
then there is this.

I don't know Gideon and he may take great care of his customers. clearly he sells top level gear.

wow the chickens came to roost on that1, lol

as far as his customers, well i would hope so especially what the FM stuff costs here in the US...i mean, 80k USD (this is going by an old list from the previous dist.) for thje 259 wpc 711 mk. 2 amp? tha is insane, quite frankly...of course this nothing to the top 1 percent, who have money to burn. i mean fm always has been expensive, but not to the extent it is now, no way. i can safely say this as a former fm owner...i bought it in part due to the review in tas back in '91. i then auditioned fm at the '92 ces in chicago. i was impressed, the sound was better than say cello or krell, which i previously thought was the best...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
i wouldn't bother...the guy's a buffoon. lol.

I hope that's an honest opinion. It wouldn't be nice to make a claim for reasons that aren't really warranted. But that said...

I have a local "dealer" here that.... well... All I wanted to ask him was if he noticed someone selling off classical collection I'd be interested, and if any of the audiophiles he knew met up for fun. I only got to ask the ladder and then was asked how much I owed him considering he has a $50/hr rate, after him telling me I'm ignorant on acoustics when I never told him anything about what I thought except I'd like a bigger room (it's too small for the amount of stuff I have in it, regardless of how it sounds). I would never refer anyone to him. He even tried to tell me the secret to life, or so he says...

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
I hope that's an honest opinion. It wouldn't be nice to make a claim for reasons that aren't really warranted. But that said...

I have a local "dealer" here that.... well... All I wanted to ask him was if he noticed someone selling off classical collection I'd be interested, and if any of the audiophiles he knew met up for fun. I only got to ask the ladder and then was asked how much I owed him considering he has a $50/hr rate, after him telling me I'm ignorant on acoustics when I never told him anything about what I thought except I'd like a bigger room (it's too small for the amount of stuff I have in it, regardless of how it sounds). I would never refer anyone to him. He even tried to tell me the secret to life, or so he says...

that is horrendous, i don't know why you just didn't turn around and walk right out of there rather than listen to his tirades and exaggerated bs...

anyway, regarding the fm distributor..again, he took me for a fool on some fm equipment i'll be selling shortly...if interesed, pm me...anyway, he offered me this very low price for it when he damn well knows it's worth more..i'm willing to bet he offered me less than blue book...it was quite insulting to say the least! that's basically it..i have no real ill will towards him, but to bs me and then offer me some ridiculous low price is not acceptable, sorry...

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Well, I won't lie... it was more entertaining than walking into a Walmart at night. He thought I was dumb founded because I don't know anything, but the dumb founded look was because his crazy was blowing my mind.

I understand that people need to make money on consignment or whatever, but sometimes they are just a bit nuts. I don't blame you for walking away from that if he's low balling you so he can make an abnormal amount on the resale. I will say it's nice to have someone willing to purchase and not having to wait.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear some FMA gear at some point. Their proprietary cables are very interesting. I'd consider doing that in the gear I sell because it may be better that way, but at the same time it's a little boring.

Dave_A

Feb 25, 2013
Well, I won't lie... it was more entertaining than walking into a Walmart at night. He thought I was dumb founded because I don't know anything, but the dumb founded look was because his crazy was blowing my mind.

I understand that people need to make money on consignment or whatever, but sometimes they are just a bit nuts. I don't blame you for walking away from that if he's low balling you so he can make an abnormal amount on the resale. I will say it's nice to have someone willing to purchase and not having to wait.

Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear some FMA gear at some point. Their proprietary cables are very interesting. I'd consider doing that in the gear I sell because it may be better that way, but at the same time it's a little boring.

well, if that was the case, i'd say you got enough entertainment value there!

oh yeah, i knew exactly what he was up to...telling me the equipment wasn't worth much because of this and that and blah blah blah. and if i agreed,he would turn around and sell for 3 times the price of what he bought it off of me. typical sleazy used car salesman. anyway, i see your point, but i'd rather wait and get the right deal instead of practically giving it away.

i hope so too. you'll see and hear what all of the commotion is all about lol the cables are indeed very good and are wrth looking into.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing