What speakers have you heard that have most Gorgeous, Lifelike Tonality?

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
I saw photos of Rey Audio RM-7. How does that compare to a JBL 4433 or 4350?

Its a different animal Ron. To begin with Rey Audio only a two way 4350 is a 4 way speaker. 4433 is a smallish monitor and not in this league.

Rey Audio is based mostly on Exclusive speakers but further refined and larger cabinets for better frequency response. Price wise they're in different league, they compare better with older Westlakes than JBLs. Just listen while you're there.

I get perplexed when I see photos of speakers at Kenrick Sound pushed up against the front wall. How does the system develop a sense of depth?

(Yes, I raised the same point after hearing the Avantgarde Trios. : )

Its a space issue Ron, that's why I said things will be tighter at Kenrick than you're used to. Still you should hear their sonic signature and they'll image like audiophile speakers given the right amount of space but unlike them still sound great even close to the back wall.

david

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My wife and I were thinking of doing Japan this year about 3 weeks ago. What put me off was the fact they were overdue an earthquake, and that the nuke is only 120 miles from Tokyo!

Then the earthquakes happened. I was right! Fortunately in South Japan, but apparently the nuke down there wasn't damaged.
There are earthquakes in Japan all the time. I lost count of how many times I experienced it. Sakura (Cherry Blossom) season is wonderful if a crowded time in Japan. If that is when you were planning on going, I highly recommend that you do so:

I have such fond memories there of that time of year, taking the above pictures, eating the great food, etc.

Mind you, quakes are not fun but you have to live on and not let advanced worry interfere with life.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
There are earthquakes in Japan all the time. I lost count of how many times I experienced it. Sakura (Cherry Blossom) season is wonderful if a crowded time in Japan. If that is when you were planning on going, I highly recommend that you do so:

I have such fond memories there of that time of year, taking the above pictures, eating the great food, etc.

Mind you, quakes are not fun but you have to live on and not let advanced worry interfere with life.

+1

Over the years I was shaken a few times while in Japan, its just part of life there and generally not devastating as the very occasional big ones you hear about in the news. At least not until now...

david

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012

Tannoy Prestige series, especially Westminster & Canterbury.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Magnepan 3.7i for me. Went room to room at THE Show and CES a couple years ago, those pleased my ears the best. I just wish I could have talked to the blind man who we passed several times and got his opinion of them as he was the only person who was not visually biased .

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Magnepan 3.7i for me. Went room to room at THE Show and CES a couple years ago, those pleased my ears the best. I just wish I could have talked to the blind man who we passed several times and got his opinion of them as he was the only person who was not visually biased .

Though it is only a guess, a blind man near the Maggie suite could have been Mark Balkowitz - the owner of Audio Perfection, and a a long-time Maggie dealer.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Though it is only a guess, a blind man near the Maggie suite could have been Mark Balkowitz - the owner of Audio Perfection, and a a long-time Maggie dealer.

This guy was auditioning systems over two days and I kept passing him in the halls, and shared one demo (forgot the name) of the worst sounding speakers I've ever heard:p

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Tannoy Prestige series, especially Westminster & Canterbury.

Do you know what are the main differences between the HE, SE and GR series? If someone has the space used Westminster's are some of the best buys in Europe!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
No doubt to me, the Quad ESL's, always has been and always will be for me.
Gone through far too many names to even mention, from dynamic driver, to ESL to ribbon, and now back to ESL.
They certainly have their flaws, plus not to mention reliability which is an absolute disaster. Having all the drawbacks, the "tonality" of the Quad ESL is right up there with the best.

Since repalcing several panels now in my Quads, I have also managed to connect with other electrostat experts in Australia, who can actually repair these things to sound even better than the original panels coming out from China. Therefore, as far as repairs & service goes, we are finally at a solution here. Just replaced a mains transformer, and three panels on one speaker, the other speaker seems to be going fine, goodness knows for how long...
Cheers to ESL owners, you got to love that pure ESL midrange, it's second to none.
RJ

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gone through far too many names to even mention, from dynamic driver, to ESL to ribbon, and now back to ESL.
They certainly have their flaws, plus not to mention reliability which is an absolute disaster. Having all the drawbacks, the "tonality" of the Quad ESL is right up there with the best.

Since repalcing several panels now in my Quads, I have also managed to connect with other electrostat experts in Australia, who can actually repair these things to sound even better than the original panels coming out from China. Therefore, as far as repairs & service goes, we are finally at a solution here. Just replaced a mains transformer, and three panels on one speaker, the other speaker seems to be going fine, goodness knows for how long...
Cheers to ESL owners, you got to love that pure ESL midrange, it's second to none.
RJ

Having heard Sam's system last week in Manila I know exactly what you mean. I had never heard stacked quads before and I was completely mesmerized.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Do you know what are the main differences between the HE, SE and GR series? If someone has the space used Westminster's are some of the best buys in Europe!

Sorry, I am not an expert on the various Tannoy versions. I modified mine and have never looked back (or forward).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

RJ

It is one of the good things about Quad's - they can be repaired to excellent standards almost anywhere in the world - I even once replaced the mylar in a ESL57 tweeter with success myself!

Are you referring to ERAudio? I have got the materials for the repair from them - it as a lot of trouble to get the mylar roll and resistive paint from the customs! Very friendly people, BTW.

theophile

Look for the Source component with the most gorgeous, lifelike tonality. No truly great speaker will be able to convey glorious lifelike tonality unless it has been passed-down from the Source.

Source not lifelike=Speakers not lifelike.

chelseadave

Nov 25, 2014
London UK
I have just bought a pair of Blumenhofer FS-2 speakers and am awaiting delivery. If you like a musical sound you should check this manufacturer out and they are very well made.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing