More Studers to my collection

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi everyone,

I been to an ABC surplus auction in Sydney last Friday. I always wanted to have a STUDER A810 or A80 but could not find anything on a resonable price. This time at this auction were 4 x STUDER 810. I tought I can try for one if price does not go out of control. On reel-to reel area was fist an A80 out of ABC production. Another guy from Canberra bid on it and I read on his face that he was not gonna let go so I did. On first 3 A810 was hard to compete but last one I said is mine. I managed to get is for AUD 425.00 which is not bad at all. Heads not too bad and seems to work pretty well all functions. It is the one with all 4 speeds HS, 3-3/4, 7-1/2 15 and 30 ips. Looks like I am gonna make a THE TAPE PROJECT machine. On top I also purchased also another C270 for as little as AUD 10.00. Does not power up but I am sure I can fix that.

Best to all.

Eugen

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Eugen
Congraturation you got a A810 in very good price , we paid more than $1000 to have one here, first check the battery in the PCB still work or not, because it give the power to the PCU after switch off, replacement will not cost too much but not the original parts, same voltage rechargeble can do the the job.is your new machine concole type ? if not you have no room to put tubes in and if you can't build tube amp by yourself, then you better buy a repro pre amp direct from the repro head, that will more easy to do. anything you want to know you can ask me I will answere if I can
regard tony ma

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Tony,

How you check the battery? Where is located? Machine seems to function very well, just on power up comes with an EEEE error and a number. Could be related to the battery? What is the battery role besides storing last counter?
Thank you for your help.

EUGEN

jdza

May 3, 2010
ftp://ftp.studer.ch/Public/Products/Recording_Analog/A810/Technical_Info/

First one explains the error messages

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Eugen,

Congratulations on your excellent deal! Here in Europe such machines easily worth three/four times what you paid.

If you need parts for the A810 look at the french eBay - they usually have plenty of parts that do not show on the USA and German sites.

I am currently re-assembling a Studer A80 - I think my Tapeproject tapes deserve it!

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
Hi Eugen
the battery is located in the MP unit broad, you can pull the broad out you will find it they don't look like common type AAA or AA with 3 feet, measure it with tester to see voltage still there. oh in doing that your machine will loose all setting in EQ and you have to set it again, anyway you better to check the setting of EQ with a test tape to see is correct or not first, if it is right on that mean battery still work
tony ma

eugen_syd

Jun 20, 2010
Hi Microstrip,

I was thinking to do a PROJECT TAPE machine but there is a problem getting the tapes. An individual tape is more than what I paid for the machine plus selection is pretty narrow. That is why I never went that way. I know that sound is incredible but what do I listen to? Linda Rhonstadt or some jazz thing? I saw few boards in the e-bay from France. I do not have the TEST GENERATOR Board, READ/WRITE or DELAY. Any ideea what those does? I have a service manual for the A810 but I could not find much about the delay board.

Thank you Tony. Anyhow I would not trust settings in the machine as when comes from ABC been boards swaped around. I don't even know if there are all the necessary boards in the machine. Machine runs and plays back, even went intro recording, however I can not switch between NAB and CCIR and between the 2 settings of the EQ so I guess the settings are lost. You press the buttons but nothing happens I mean does not switch. Stays only on NAB which I guess by default it has same sttings.

Thank you guys for all your help. I always wanted an A810, now I got one.... question is what do I do with it...hehehehhe

EUGEN

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing