Brady's Deflategate Suspension Over Ruled By Judge

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Good. Not that I care one way or the other, but the concept of "There might have been a deliberate action, and you might have been involved, so, to be safe, we are going to penalize you." strikes me as grossly unfair.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Now we can focus on what's really important. College football starts tonight.

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
looks like he got off basically because there was no suspension rule/notice for deflating footballs. so Goodell's judgment was arbitrary. that's hilarious.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
looks like he got off basically because there was no suspension rule/notice for deflating footballs. so Goodell's judgment was arbitrary. that's hilarious.
That's my read of it after 20 some pages. Arbitration rulings are had to set aside without technicalities and this is one of them. Imagine how their next contract is going to read, putting in penalties for any and all indiscretions they could think of.

allvinyl

Apr 10, 2013
Burnsville, MN

Rant on: if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck, and walks like a duck... At least the organization doesn't get off completely, I believe. It's amazing to me that these guys can't just take their millions and play it straight... Rant off.

John

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
Not that I follow football, but the NFL should deal with its people as needed and the courts should stay the hell out of it.

I'm tired of seeing sports figures in the news testifying before Congress for this and that and in court because they don't like what is going on in their sports leagues.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
NFL officially appeals Tom Brady decision

The NFL appealed U.S. District Judge Richard Berman's ruling nullifying Tom Brady's four-game suspension.

Commissioner Roger Goodell, in a statement released Thursday prior to the league's court filing, cited competitive fairness as a key component in the decision to appeal.

"We are grateful to Judge Berman for hearing this matter, but respectfully disagree with today's decision," Goodell said. "We will appeal today's ruling in order to uphold the collectively bargained responsibility to protect the integrity of the game. The commissioner's responsibility to secure the competitive fairness of our game is a paramount principle, and the league and our 32 clubs will continue to pursue a path to that end. While the legal phase of this process continues, we look forward to focusing on football and the opening of the regular season."

NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport reported the NFL will not seek a stay to keep Brady from playing during the appeal process.

In Berman's 40-page decision negating Brady's suspension, the judge cited three main points: 1) No notice of discipline; 2) No testimony from NFL general council Jeff Pash; and 3) No access to the files from the Ted Wells Report.

While Brady will be on the field in Foxborough for Thursday's opener against the Steelers, Goodell won't be in attendance as is customary. Rapoport reported, per the NFL, that Goodell will watch the game on TV because he wants the focus to be on the field and the festivities celebrating the Patriots' Super Bowl win.

This legal quagmire, however, is far from over.

BlueFox

Member Sponsor
Nov 8, 2013
Sounds like the Minority Report where crimes are sensed before they occur. In this case, infractions, and the culprits, are assumed, and pronounced guilty, with no evidence. Of course, the NFL operates in their own world.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
That's my read of it after 20 some pages. Arbitration rulings are had to set aside without technicalities and this is one of them. Imagine how their next contract is going to read, putting in penalties for any and all indiscretions they could think of.
Even more so now, since that point also has precedence from a previous ruling. Plus TMK all three of the main points Berman stated must be overcome on appeal or this ruling stands. IMHO the real irony here is that while the NFL slams the Pats and Brady for not cooperating that essentially is what his ruling slams the NFL for on the other two points. At least that's how I took it. Nevermind also mocking the process as independent.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Sounds like the Minority Report where crimes are sensed before they occur. In this case, infractions, and the culprits, are assumed, and pronounced guilty, with no evidence. Of course, the NFL operates in their own world.

Agreed .. I would however replace "NFL" by "Roger Goodell". He would have been fired in any other realm of life.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing