If you were going to buy 2-3 tapes, what would they be?

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
My favorite sounding TP album is Little Hatch. Not sure whether it is rock. I know it isn't classical :) (For classical TP - Arnold Overtures would also be my choice.) If TP is out of stock, they normally will do runs to catch up on inventory. However, there are several for which they no longer have licenses (the two Decca classical tapes, at least).

Lots of great sounding other albums - most of Ed Pong's, for example, which are all classical chamber music he recorded himself.

I have about 100 legal 15ips 2 track albums, from most all the players.

Larry

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
My personal favorites, Patricia barber Cafe Blue or any of Opus sampler vol 1-3 . Another tape to consider is by Openreel fr Italy . Superb

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Thanks. That seems like a delightful album. Bob, here is the link :).

http://tapeproject.com/product/little-hatch-rock-with-me-baby/

And I can't yet justify buying one :). But getting close. Real close....

I also have that one on CD, and the sound has some pretty good presence Amir; you'd be surprised...plus it's only [strike]twenty[/strike] five bucks.
It might even be on SACD. /// http://store.acousticsounds.com/a/2745/Little_Hatch

? $450 for the tape I'll leave my copy to someone else like you Amir, with a tape machine. ;-)

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
My personal favorites, Patricia barber Cafe Blue or any of Opus sampler vol 1-3 . Another tape to consider is by Openreel fr Italy . Superb

What would be even more cool is if you can give us the direct links of those tapes, with prices.

* Audiophiles on audio forums are a lazy bunch.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
* Audiophiles on audio forums are a lazy bunch.[/QUOTE]

I agree. Just read . It's all over reel to reel forum . We are indeed a lazy bunch

Edward Pong

Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2013
Locust Hill, Ontario
My favorite sounding TP album is Little Hatch. Not sure whether it is rock. I know it isn't classical :) (For classical TP - Arnold Overtures would also be my choice.) If TP is out of stock, they normally will do runs to catch up on inventory. However, there are several for which they no longer have licenses (the two Decca classical tapes, at least).

Lots of great sounding other albums - most of Ed Pong's, for example, which are all classical chamber music he recorded himself.

I have about 100 legal 15ips 2 track albums, from most all the players.

Larry

Thanks Larry !

Please have a listen to the sample tracks on the website: www.ultraanaloguerecordings.com

These are a DSD transfer of the master tapes..

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
just listened to one of my favourite 2T 1/4" 15ips masters:
Fritz Reiner directing the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra 20th of october 1960:
Brahms Hungarian dances
Dvorak Slavonic dances
fantastic performance and stellar mastering.....

Feb 16, 2015
Norway
:cool:

It is difficult just to pick 2-3, they all sound very good. But if it is new recordings; Janaki trio from Yarlung, Elias Nardi Group from Analogy Records, Michel Goddard from Horch House. But other tapes from both Pong and Open Reels are up there as well.

Old recordings on new tape; Beethoven from Horch House, beautiful choire, Oscar Peterson from Horch House, beatutiful being there feeling, Rollins from TP...and more.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing