If you were going to buy 2-3 tapes, what would they be?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
OK, despite having a R2R deck, I must confess I only have some tapes from kind souls that wanted to make sure I did not sit there looking at an idle machine :). I have not bought any yet.

The cheapskate that I am, means that I fall off my chair every time I look at the prices of these tapes at tape project :) :). If I were to close my eyes, ignore the price, what should be the few demo worthy tapes one should have? I am talking strictly fidelity for now.

Recommendations please and any advice on how one stomachs these prices. I need the psychiatric help as much as the tapes themselves. :D

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I have two questions for you. What deck are you running (2track or 4track)? Do you have a preference for music (rock, jazz, classical)?

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
It is a two-track, quarter inch deck, the Otari MX-5050BII. Rock is my favorite music but for this purpose where I am aiming for best fidelity, I will accept all three :).

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It is a two-track, quarter inch deck, the Otari MX-5050BII. Rock is my favorite music but for this purpose where I am aiming for best fidelity, I will accept all three :).

You want Rock on 2-trk 1/4" tape at 15ips...... Good luck with that one!! ;)

stellavox

Apr 23, 2010
Tape Project Arnold Overtures and Jimmy Smith are two. Don't know if they are still available tho.

Charles

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks Charles. Speaking of that, when the tape project site says 'out of stock' does it mean they will reproduce them at some time or they are gone for good?

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I will add my support to Malcom Arnold/London Philharmonic Orchestra - Arnold Overtures. It is detailed and dynamic. Good music that is well produced.

My personal favorite is Mose Allison - Creek Bank. It just sounds real. Like he is in the room. I also like Bill Evans - Waltz for Debbie but keep in mind this was a live recording, so you get the background noise of people talking and eating.

Here are some places to check on for better recordings.
thetapeproject.com
ultraanaloguerecordings.com
opus3records.com
mastertapesoundlab.com

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Tape Project Arnold Overtures and Jimmy Smith are two. Don't know if they are still available tho.

Charles
Just listened to those two on Youtube to see what they are. Oh man. I can tell how amazing they would be uncompressed. Now someone needs to give me the courage to spend $450 on one tape! :D

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Exotic Dances from TP
Midnight Show from Quinton
Clair Fischer from IFI

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
OK, despite having a R2R deck, I must confess I only have some tapes from kind souls that wanted to make sure I did not sit there looking at an idle machine :). I have not bought any yet.

The cheapskate that I am, means that I fall off my chair every time I look at the prices of these tapes at tape project :) :). If I were to close my eyes, ignore the price, what should be the few demo worthy tapes one should have? I am talking strictly fidelity for now.

Recommendations please and any advice on how one stomachs these prices. I need the psychiatric help as much as the tapes themselves. :D

This is very interesting Amir, because we don't see many threads @ all, in all the audio forums of the internet with music tape recommendations...Classical, Jazz, Blues, World...
and where we can purchase them and for how much. I guess most people they stream and download nowadays, with some coming back to vinyl treasure hunting.

To me, it is more the domain of the musicians with a taste of the past and of the music lovers with the passion of big reels turning with the sweet sound of analog music.
Yes, true dedicated music passion is for the TT and R-2-R people because of all the maintenance that comes with it and that convenience of being physically much more involved.
It's not like having a remote control in hand when playing vinyls and tapes...the skipping tracks process is totally different...you basically don't skip...or if you do you get up of your chair and go to your machines up close and personal with touching the buttons, operating the functions, making contact between you and the rotation world.

Brief, it's a physical/spiritual maneuver of orchestral ritual.

The machines are beautiful to look @ too...just like the turntables. ...And when those wheels are turning it is a site to behold, along with the music playing.

So yes, good thread to explore and develop further...I am fully subscribed...up to my own abilities and accommodation surrounding the disponibility, accessibility, affordability, time and music genre out there from quality music recordings by the great recording artists, recording studio engineers and all that jazz.

* I had one R-2-R machine when I was younger, my friend too...and we had fun loving it and playing with it.

Also, it always reminds me of the film 'Pulp Fiction' by Quentin Tarantino...super cool imagery locked in my passionate mind.

CDs are dying real fast...even @ $10 a pop. I'm talking worldwide real financial facts...not about us.

P.S. I feel lazy today, so forgive me for any typo...usually I take the time to edit all my posts, every single one...looking for typos and phrasing construction and the proper words in the right context...all that blues composition.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Just listened to those two on Youtube to see what they are. Oh man. I can tell how amazing they would be uncompressed. Now someone needs to give me the courage to spend $450 on one tape! :D

Exotic Dances from TP
Midnight Show from Quinton
Clair Fischer from IFI

Thanks a bunch. I have this from reference recording. How does the tape compare?

All great, including $450 for a tape. ...And links would be nice too.

* Me too I have that recording on CD, from RR Keith Johnson...Exotic Dances ... [HDCD]

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
You have a decent deck to start out with. Look at the tape project catalog....if you are not familiar with any of the music, you can always find sound clips of the selection on allmusic.com or Google search to see if you like it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
You have a decent deck to start out with. Look at the tape project catalog....if you are not familiar with any of the music, you can always find sound clips of the selection on allmusic.com or Google search to see if you like it.

Give us some good direct links Christian...save us from the work. :b ...Exclusively for open-reel music recording tapes...with reasonable prices to support the music that YOU love.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing