Opinions on this tonearm - Origin Live Silver Mk2 arm

willie garvin

Aug 29, 2010
Hi,

Please could you advise me if the Origin Live Silver Mk2 arm is a good tonearm & not yet having a TT, which TT would it fit, apologies for these naive questions, but I'm new to hifi.

Thanks,

Willie G

Last edited:

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
Hi,

Please could you advise me if the Origin Live Silver Mk2 arm is a good tonearm & not yet having a TT, which TT would it fit, apologies for these naive questions, but I'm new to hifi.

Thanks,

Willie G

Hi Willie,

I have not had experience with the Origin Live Silver MK2 tonearm. However, Origin Live has developed an extremely good name for Tonearms and Turntables. These tonearms have been very well reviewed in the magazines and should mate well with a wide selection of Turntables and Cartridges. I considered getting an Origin Live Tonearm before I decided upon my Teres Illius Tonearm for my Teres Certus 450 Turntable. Mark Baker of Origin Live is an excellent designer and was very helpful in his guidance and e-mails when I was considering one his expensive tonearms.

Rich

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
This is Raul's forte. I'm sure he'll get to it. If not send him a PM(sylvietta).

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
As far as I know, all of the OL arms are based on the Rega arms, so any TT using said arm can accomodate it. This is in fact the arm I had been considering as an upgrade to my Rega RB250 on the Nottingham Analogue Horizon. I spoke with my dealer some time ago, and also had some email exchanges with Mark Baker, and they both thought I would hear a significant improvement. Perhaps 2011 will see this upgrade realized.

John

naturephoto1

May 24, 2010
Breinigsville, PA
www.nelridge.com
As far as I know, all of the OL arms are based on the Rega arms, so any TT using said arm can accomodate it. This is in fact the arm I had been considering as an upgrade to my Rega RB250 on the Nottingham Analogue Horizon. I spoke with my dealer some time ago, and also had some email exchanges with Mark Baker, and they both thought I would hear a significant improvement. Perhaps 2011 will see this upgrade realized.

John

As John has indicated, the earlier Origin Live arms were based upon the Rega arms. The OL Silver tonearms take the initial Rega designs to a much higher performance and Mark Baker has taken some new approaches in the design of the arm to much improve the performance over the Rega arms.

Here is the link to the Origin Live Website:

http://www.originlive.com/

and the OL Silver MKIIIC tonearm:

http://www.tonearm.co.uk/silver-tonearm.htm

The OL Silver MKII can not be upgraded to the MKIIIC tonearm.

Also, I am not sure how much you would be paying for the older OL Silver MKII, but you may also wish to consider the Thomas Schick Tonearm that can be purchased from Oswaldsmill Audio for $1475. I have heard the arm with some of the OMA turntables, speakers and system at the Mill. It is really quite good.

Here is the link to the Schick Arm:

http://www.oswaldsmillaudio.com/Products/schick.html

The arm is available in different color finishes; here is a photo:

Rich

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have not had OL arms, but based on the fact that many of them are based on the Rega RB250/300 I can say it is a very reliable option, one needs to spend a lot more to take it to the next level. I lived with RB based arms for 10 years with no issues.

Fast/Forward

Aug 21, 2011
Mississauga, On
Hi,

Thanks,

Willie G

Hello Will!

I've no experience with Origin Live Silver Mk II, however the Origin Live Conqueror
Mk II has been part of my front end for several years mated to an Oracle Delphi Mk
II via a VTAF VTA stabilizing base. A new mounting plate that replaced an SME
plate was obtained from Oracle.
The Rega connection is valid, but in my case the hole had to be slightly
enlarged to accommodate my arm with stabilizing base.
The arm has seen a lot of use and has never had a problem.
A suggestion here, select the arm to the cartridge first. I believe here it is a case of
the tail wagging the dog. Also have your cartridge/arm and turntable set up by
someone experienced.

Welcome to vinyl!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing