Cable Management

dminches

Oct 22, 2011
Thought this would be the best forum to post a question about cable management.

How do people keep interconnects away from other interconnects and power cords? Every time I rewire the equipment in my racks I think I will get it done and then, before long, it is a friggin' mess. What complicates things is that there is no standard for where the power cords sockets are in the back of electronics so they run down the rack all over the place.

In my main rack I have 6 power cords running to my conditioner which in on the bottom shelf. The other equipment sits on the shelves above it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
If you arrange things so that signal cables do not parallel power cables that should be enough to make for good results. You can use/do whatever is necessary to achieve this...

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Maybe a little hard to get a visual on. My equipment is mostly spread out left to right. There is a HD steel chassis power strip (ie raceway) running behind the rack on the floor and right against the wall, hardwired into the mains.

Power cords go straight back for about 6" (300mm) and straight down to the power strip. Signal wires run mostly horizontal and close to the rack.

Cyclotronguy

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
^^^^ People have mentioned running power cables perppendicular to signal cables in the past, but this is the first time I have heard a person running power cables orthogonally to signal cables in three dimentions!

Excellent.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"orthogonal in three dimensions" = "all over the place" LOL!
I look at other guys' setups and see how neat and tidy their dressing is, w/pwr cords on elevators, all separated out nicely, and conclude "what the hey", no way can I do all this, and try not to obsess.
No doubt non physical contact btwn signal cbls and pwr cords must be a good idea, i need to keep 8 ground cables separate in the melee too.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
"Orthogonal" is perpendicular in three dimensions, as in x-y-z axes. It really isn't "all over the place"

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
It's amazing what a walk through the McMaster Carr on-line catalog will turn up. Spiral wrap, raceway, slotted wire duct with PSA backing. Too much stuff that you need and never knew you needed. Easily, many nights of interactive mischeif.

Cyclotronguy

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
i LOVE McMaster-Carr.

They have everything.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Oct 15, 2012

The “keep power and signal cables separate” idea is certainly not bad advice, but it’s not practical in my situation so my cables are a hot mess, too. In spite of that, my system is dead silent. If you get noise in your system from poor cable management, then your signal cables have an inadequate shield.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing