With Touraj at Vertere Acoustics

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Yes, Lloyd, it was great fun! Thank you!

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I met LL21 today at KJ West One, a high-end audio dealer in London. KJ West One is a beautiful store with lots of my favorite brands (including ARC, Jadis, VTL, Martin-Logan, Magnepan, DarTZeel, Transparent, Vertere) and very knowledgeable, seasoned audio experts. We listened to the Vertere SG-1 turntable and the SG-1 tonearm with a Dynavector cartridge into a VTL pre-amp to VTL monoblocks driving Wilson Alexias.

Playing the exact same tracks Touraj played for me at Vertere I can report that while the lower-end Vertere sounded good it did not sound like anything special. I stand by my view (especially surprising when you factor in that I prefer VTL electronics driving Alexias over solid state (even if it is FM Acoustics) driving PMC studio monitors) that the top-of-the-line Vertere record player and tonearm together form a very, very special record-playing system -- I think one of the top vinyl systems available today. (And I give most of the credit for that view to the Vertere Reference tonearm.)

You would hope that it would be possible to experience a large part of the reference sound at a lower Pricepoint. Sadly in this instance it seems expecting 99% of the performace for a tenth of the cost is asking a little too much...

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Dear Billy, I think the mid-range components allow you to experience a large portion of the sound of the reference system. The Reference turntable and tonearm are Touraj's effort at cost-no-object and state-of-the-art vinyl replay. There just is something very special about the reference components I did not hear with the lesser components. I cannot quantify the difference.

I do not think we can expect 99% of the best for 10% of the cost. I just think that is an overly optimistic ratio. I think something like 2/3 of the best for 1/3 of the cost is seen more often in high end audio companies' product lines.

Billy Shears

Jul 27, 2015
I do not think we can expect 99% of the best for 10% of the cost. I just think that is an overly optimistic ratio. I think something like 2/3 of the best for 1/3 of the cost is seen more often in high end audio companies' product lines.

I am with you on that one.
But there luckily are exceptions to that rule....

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Yes, Lloyd, it was great fun! Thank you!

Thanks for the invitation...that was good fun, and i particularly enjoyed comparing notes on what we heard, what we have heard in the past (listening notes) and what we look for. I think going forward when we compare listening notes, it will be that much easier to understand each other, which is a lot of fun. Enjoy your next few auditions which are likely to be absolutely great...particularly the ones which i know and have already heard before.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Lloyd, yes it was fun and very helpful to begin to "calibrate" each other's sonic preferences!

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
My wife and I had another absolutely wonderful afternoon and evening with Touraj! Touraj was very excited about a positive development in a speaker cable prototype. Vertere Acoustics is doing well and he is expecting to move into larger space in a couple of months.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
That all sounds good. Despite me not having any Roksan gear anymore, he's a Hell of an engineer, and it looks like his current project is working well for him.
Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing