Esoteric Blue Note SACD's

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I couldn't decide where to post this, in the music forum or in the digital audio forum. I choose digital audio, if the moderators want to move it, I understand.

I am a HUGE SACD fan. But also think my vinyl is damn good too. Anyone try this Esoteric Blue Note SACD box set? I have all the titles on vinyl...curious if it's worth duplicating titles due to the SACD format and the Esoteric mastering...Thanks !!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/107075/Various_Artists-Blue_Note_6_Great_Jazz-Hybrid_SACD%20?keywords=NL071315&utm_source=NL071315&utm_medium=005B_Esoteric&utm_campaign=AS_NL

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have the Mahler 5th Barbirolli remastered by Esoteric, and can honestly say there is something about that CD which really got me hooked on Mahler in a way i still dont understand. I am SURE that much of it is Barbirolli and the music, but as an audiophile, i also have to say that there are certain crescendos that are fun to enjoy that i suspect are about Esoteric's work.

No, i have not compared with the regular Barbirolli CD, but i do really enjoy the Esoteric CD. I have read on other forums good things about some of the other Esoteric remasters...not universally good, but almost.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
J
I have the Mahler 5th Barbirolli remastered by Esoteric, and can honestly say there is something about that CD which really got me hooked on Mahler in a way i still dont understand. I am SURE that much of it is Barbirolli and the music, but as an audiophile, i also have to say that there are certain crescendos that are fun to enjoy that i suspect are about Esoteric's work.

No, i have not compared with the regular Barbirolli CD, but i do really enjoy the Esoteric CD. I have read on other forums good things about some of the other Esoteric remasters...not universally good, but almost.

I have it too, also ripped to dsd 64. Altouhg is hard to consider which one is better: sacd played with La Fontaine or dsd file played with Lampi B7 , there is clear that channelclassics release of Mahler's no 2 under Ivan Fisher outoperforms both in dynamics and soundstage.

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/symphony-no-2-in-cminor-resurrection

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
J

I have it too, also ripped to dsd 64. Altouhg is hard to consider which one is better: sacd playd with La Fontaine or dsd file played with Lampi B7 , there is clear that channelclassics release of Mahler's no 2 under Ivan Fisher outoperforms both in dynamics and soundstage.

https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/symphony-no-2-in-cminor-resurrection

Funny that you should say that...i agree! I have searched high and low and listened to loads of different Mahlers for the rest of the symphonic works...I ended up getting Fischer 1, 2, 4 and 9!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I couldn't decide where to post this, in the music forum or in the digital audio forum. I choose digital audio, if the moderators want to move it, I understand.

I am a HUGE SACD fan. But also think my vinyl is damn good too. Anyone try this Esoteric Blue Note SACD box set? I have all the titles on vinyl...curious if it's worth duplicating titles due to the SACD format and the Esoteric mastering...Thanks !!

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/107075/Various_Artists-Blue_Note_6_Great_Jazz-Hybrid_SACD%20?keywords=NL071315&utm_source=NL071315&utm_medium=005B_Esoteric&utm_campaign=AS_NL

Wow...just saw this again! I posted someplace recently around here a comparison between this set (which i just got) and the Analogue Productions and RVG versions. So far, my favorite is the Esoteric set. Fortunately, 3 are ones i have long contemplated getting (but never did) so no duplication which i generally do not like. But the 3 i do have are surpassed by Esoteric so go for it if you wish. i am glad i did.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I have been collecting the Esoteric remasters for quite a while. What I found is that the improvements can be quite variable.

For example, this is a very rare Esoteric remaster of Solti's famous performance of Wagner's complete Ring cycle. You can see in my collection, I have: the original vinyl pressing, the Esoteric SACD remaster, and the Decca remaster from 1984 (the original remaster, not the 2012 remaster which I have not heard). The 1984 remaster is well known for all the sonic sins of the period - the treble is almost painful to listen to, and it sounds scrappy and coarse. The vinyl pressing is nowhere near as sibilant and bright as the 1984 CD version, and sounds much more natural. The Esoteric SACD comes very close to vinyl, with plenty of instrumental texture that is missing from the CD version. I can't really compare the Esoteric to the vinyl in other respects because of other variables (e.g. the quality of my turntable, cartridge, etc) but it is a definite improvement over the CD.

However, this is not to say that the Esoteric SACD remaster is better than modern digital recordings. Modern RBCD recordings (2005 onwards) by Deutsche Grammofon are actually quite good.

If you want an excellent digital version of a classic recording, the Esoteric SACD's are the way to go.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I have been collecting the Esoteric remasters for quite a while. What I found is that the improvements can be quite variable.

For example, this is a very rare Esoteric remaster of Solti's famous performance of Wagner's complete Ring cycle. You can see in my collection, I have: the original vinyl pressing, the Esoteric SACD remaster, and the Decca remaster from 1984 (the original remaster, not the 2012 remaster which I have not heard). The 1984 remaster is well known for all the sonic sins of the period - the treble is almost painful to listen to, and it sounds scrappy and coarse. The vinyl pressing is nowhere near as sibilant and bright as the 1984 CD version, and sounds much more natural. The Esoteric SACD comes very close to vinyl, with plenty of instrumental texture that is missing from the CD version. I can't really compare the Esoteric to the vinyl in other respects because of other variables (e.g. the quality of my turntable, cartridge, etc) but it is a definite improvement over the CD.

However, this is not to say that the Esoteric SACD remaster is better than modern digital recordings. Modern RBCD recordings (2005 onwards) by Deutsche Grammofon are actually quite good.

If you want an excellent digital version of a classic recording, the Esoteric SACD's are the way to go.

Fantastic post and great to know...i picked up that Solti 1984 version a long time and it has been collecting dust ever since...may give the Esoterics a try. Thanks!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow! Amazon has them for $2K! Eeeks...ok, maybe that's a wish list thing!

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I did tell you that they were rare! I think I paid $1k for my set when it was new. It was a limited run of a few hundred copies - they were snapped up very quickly. I hear that the 2012 Decca remaster is much better, so perhaps that's the one you should go for if you want to avoid the awful sound of the 1984 remaster.

As I alluded to earlier, this particular example shows an obvious benefit for the Esoteric remaster because Decca's 1984 remaster was incompetently done.

I have a shelf full of these Esoteric remasters. Unfortunately I can't comment on whether most of the others are better than the CD remasters because I do not own duplicates on CD.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I did tell you that they were rare! I think I paid $1k for my set when it was new. It was a limited run of a few hundred copies - they were snapped up very quickly. I hear that the 2012 Decca remaster is much better, so perhaps that's the one you should go for if you want to avoid the awful sound of the 1984 remaster.

As I alluded to earlier, this particular example shows an obvious benefit for the Esoteric remaster because Decca's 1984 remaster was incompetently done.

I have a shelf full of these Esoteric remasters. Unfortunately I can't comment on whether most of the others are better than the CD remasters because I do not own duplicates on CD.

Thanks! i have the CD-Remaster from 2012 on order now (used) from Amazon!...looking forward to 'relistening' to this after quite some time...thanks again!

And BTW, if you EVER decide you wish to sell your Esoteric CDs...i am hereby officially asking for a chance to go thru the collection and make you an offer to buy!!

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com

? Great flick ... DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 (48kHz/24-bit) audio soundtrack.
Top-notch sound and picture...on Blu.

Not the "Ring" under discussion, Bob.

We're talking about Sir George Solti's recording of Richard Wagner's "Ring Cycle", (Der Ring des Nibelungens) the four-part opera series. It's one of the most famous recordings of all time.

Lee

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The recent Blu-ray release of The Ring is much better then the earlier remasters as well, presented in 24-bit version.

Lee

Thanks...redbook here so will stick to the cd versions.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I got the Ring - Solti Remaster on CD...F-A-R better!!! The other set was sitting on my shelf...not a huge fan of opera in the first place so listening to tin opera was a no-go. Listened to the first 2 CDs already! Great stuff...thanks for bringing this music back into the collection (rather than collecting dust on the shelf)!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing